What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 308 SW, ford focus - can't decide between 308sw and focus estate. - Phoebus

So I'm buying a new family estate. As we only do cca. 15k kilometres per year and have many short trips (20km to work), diesel is not an option so we're looking at 1.2THP 130 (230nm) and 1.0 eco 125 (170nm).

I've driven THP and I like it, I have yet to drive ford.. I'm a bit sceptical about 170Nm.

for the same price, peugeot has bigger and better finished boot, much more toys (sat-nav, front sensors, rear camera, full LED, electric park brake, etc) and (on paper) punchier engine but ford has (in my opinion) better cockpit, little better front seats and maybe looks a bit better in front (Titanium grille).

Both have 5year general warranty here but peugeot also has 7years warranty for engine and transmission. On the other hand, focus is most sold model in the world so there should be abundance of spare parts in case anything goes wrong.

I know this is subjective, but what what would you choose if you were me? punchier engine and more kit vs ubiquitous (facelifted, so more proven car) with better cockpit?

Peugeot 308 SW, ford focus - can't decide between 308sw and focus estate. - skidpan

but what what would you choose if you were me

Neither of those. The Peugeot is way too small for rear seat legroom (the Focus is not much better) and while the 1.0T in the Ford is fine in smaller cars I would not buy a larger estate fitted with one.

My choice would be either a Seat Leon SW 1.4 TSi or a Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSi.

Peugeot 308 SW, ford focus - can't decide between 308sw and focus estate. - alan1302

but what what would you choose if you were me?

Sell the family and get a sports car!

If it had to be out of those two I'd go for the Peugeot 308 as it's something a bit different.

Peugeot 308 SW, ford focus - can't decide between 308sw and focus estate. - Avant

Whereabouts in the world are you, Phoebus? I assume not in the UK as you deal in kilometres.

I would agree with Skidpan unless you're somewhere that Skodas and SEATs aren't sold (South Africa for instance).

Edited by Avant on 14/10/2015 at 19:50

Peugeot 308 SW, ford focus - can't decide between 308sw and focus estate. - Phoebus

I'm from Slovenia, Skodas are sold here but octavias with the kit I'd like are quite dearer than focus / 308 and to be honest I don't really like the looks.

I've driven 1.0 today and it was too weak. It was nice in the city but it was unresponsive and thirsty on motorway and in the hills compared to the 1.2THP (I've taken the same route with both cars).

And after driving both cars (long time Safrane owner) I prefered the way peugeot drove (a bit softer I guess) and 1.5 ecoboost would make the car a bit too pricey so the decision has been made..

Peugeot 308 SW, ford focus - can't decide between 308sw and focus estate. - SteveLee

The 308 is comfier and has a nicer engine (unless it goes bang with timing chain issues) the Ford IMHO is a better long-term purchase - I'd expect the Focus to simply last longer and give a more reliable service.

Have you looked at the Hyundai i30 Tourer? The petrol is no road burner but it's well equipped with a good warranty and is pretty reasonable value.

Peugeot 308 SW, ford focus - can't decide between 308sw and focus estate. - daveyK_UK

If I was in the market for this kind of car, at the top of my list would be a Toyota Auris estate.

I would also consider a Dacia Logan MCV - excellent value for money and drives alot better than I expected.

Peugeot 308 SW, ford focus - can't decide between 308sw and focus estate. - Mr Carrot Cake

Kia Cee'd perhaps?