What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - tricky0000

Hi,

Starting a job with a 110 miles daily commute, almost all motorway.

Based on a Google search for best mpg I'm looking at gegetting a Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC.

I've got about £15k to play with.

Any alternatives I should consider?

Cheers

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - Bromptonaut

Whichever onesyou feel comortable with. I you're doing 55 mile/75mins each way comfort is way more important than +/- 2mpg.

What else do you need the car to do as well as the commute?

I'd recommend a Citroen Berlingo............ </tic>

Edited by Bromptonaut on 23/09/2015 at 22:32

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - gordonbennet

So just in commute alone thats some 28k a year, assuming you use the car for nothing else, i'd want a serious car allowance for that because the depreciation is going to be as heavy as the fuel cost and your £15k car worth nothing in no time.

Obviously you've investigated the train, which would be my preferred choice for that distance.

Depending on your knowledge and how you feel about cars i might be inclined to buy something Diesel, competent and preferably no longer fashionable for about £5k tops preferably much less, keep it well serviced, run it till it dies, rinse and repeat...suggest summat like Kia Magentis might fit the bill (Mondeo?), would have suggested Avensis but Toyota car Diesels appear to have CHG's made from the same cheese as BMW timing chains and VW EGR valves.

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - J0HNuk

I'd consider a Focus.

I do 90 miles a day, fast A roads and get 60 MPG with my 2.0 TDCi which has now done 145,000 miles.

It's a good compromise, quite powerful, rewarding to drive, comfortable.

I'm almost certainly going to get another one before the end of the year.

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - Falkirk Bairn

Buying a brand spanker and putting North of 30K per year calls for putting the thinking cap on and looking at alternatives.

Many years ago a chap I knew had 40+ company cars - 30K per year so after 3 years they were worth very little. He then embarked on buying ex-day rental cars 6 mths 8-10K miles and running them 2-2.5 years. Still not worth a lot but he was buying at 60% of the list ( say 5 cars at the same time) of new rather than say 10-15% off. It worked for him.

Thinking along the same lines why not buy a low mileage car, still under warranty, with 10-15K on the clock and run it until the warranty / car runs out?

Not wanting 2nd hand? My approach running a car for work has been to buy trailing edge technology - buying the run-out version when the new model appears - usually higher spec runoff model than normal spec. Bugs & issues long time fixed and you buy with a BIG discount.

Motorpoint are selling Auris Hybrid Excels £16K brand new - no race car but good for 50-60mpg - local taximan, that my son uses for airport drop offs, is getting 58mpg in his estate version - other taxi people seem to get big reliable mileages out of engines of Prius which is mechanically similar car.

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 24/09/2015 at 11:01

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - Stumblebum

I have the petrol Civic 1.8 and can get 43 mpg easily so long as I don't venture much over the speed limit.

If you are driving solo, then you don't need to venture much over 3000 RPM (70moh indicated in 6th gear) so the car is reasomably refined. The power and torque on Honda VTEC's lie above 4000RPM but they can keep up with traffict ok at lower RPM.

I'm sure that the Diesel is better for this type of journey, but it will command a premium.

I find it ok for 4hour journeys.

I'm on my 3rd petrol Honda and have had no mechanical problems with the previous 2 (easily took them to 120K miles, original clutch, no engine problems - just consumables).

Edited by Stumblebum on 24/09/2015 at 11:50

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - DirtyDieselDogg

Gosh!

Surely the perfect time to pick up a dirt-cheap VW group diesel, new, or very fresh.

Otherwise, despite me being a diesel nut, I ud be looking at a Toyota Hybrid.

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - Oli rag

I think the civic, or as previously mentioned Toyota auris hybrid are both good choices.

Another worth considering is a Nissan pulsar 1.5dci. Lots of very low mileage nearly new ones about for little money.

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - balleballe

The 1.6 idtec is very economical and you can pick up a good specced one for 16k through 'drive the deal'.

It was recently entered into the guiness book of records for a ridiculous mpg during a long journey, think it was 100mpg.

If youre doing 30k a year with mainly motorways/A roads then hybrids wont be very economical.

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - skidpan

Its several years ago and things may have changed but when we drove a Civic diesel we found it to be very noisy, had an appaling ride, very poor rear access (small doors) and to our eyes the quirky dash was a turn off, we walked away (fast).

Like any car you consider you need to try it and satisfy yourself you could actually live with it.

May I suggest a Seat Leon Mk3 (from early 2013 basically). There have always been cracking broker deals on these cars since they were introduced (depite the 5* reviews) and those deals have probably just got better. Our 1.4 TSi is comfortable, quiet, very easy to live with, has been 100% reliable and after 1500 miles over the past 10 days I would buy another without hesitation.

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - jgrahampo

volvo v40 for comfort

Honda Civic 1.6 i DTEC - Long commute - balleballe

That was probably the 8th gen with the slightly crashy ride. 9th gen is totally different.

Id stay away from all VAG cars for now