What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo MK III TDCI 130 (6) Saloon - Alternator/ Battery charging problem - Tterisr
Some help please and apologies for long post, sometimes detail may help I suspect?

Some four weeks ago the alternator was replaced after suffering a flat battery. I have no detail on the make i.e. Recon, genuine Ford (most unlikely) or aftermarket. On Sunday this week I blew fuse 99 (Interior lights) which had a 10A fuse Whilst taking out the boot light (boot fair so didn't want light on all the time). On Monday I drove 125 miles to Dorset and under heavy usage (a/c, cd player, sidelights, wipers) the battery light came on. The RAC came out and checked the battery (all fine) but determined the battery wasn't being charged (I assumed it would have been for the previous journeys since the alterator was installed) but obviously stopped working for some reason during my journey. He suggested it could be the alternator but wasn't convinced and suggested a wiring problem. He charged up the battery and also replaced fuse 99 for the interior lights with a 7.5A fuse which I understand is the correct rating. Those lights now work.
I was able to take the car to a garage in Weymouth who worked on finding the fault and were 99% happy that the alternator was not a defective unit but would need to fully check this out and also suggested further checks on the wiring system.

What I would like to know is what the likely cause of the battery light being on is, would fuse 99 have knocked something else out? Is a non-genuine Ford alternator a problem with the ECU and charging? Is wiring the likely problem and if so where an what order should it be checked?

Any help would be genuinely appreciated, I know there a lot of posts on this already so if I needed to be pointed to one please do so. thanks for reading.