What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Alternatives to a civic - balleballe

I recently purchased an 08 plate Honda civic with the 2.2 CDTI engine but rather unfortunately some idiot decided to crash into me and therefore the car has been written off.

I'm tempted to just buy another civic with the pay out but wondering if there are any viable alternatives. The civic was my first diesel and had oodles of torque so would like something similarish in power.

On a good motorway run, at the national speed limit I often got 55mpg (brim to brim) which I think is pretty good for a 2.2 diesel.

I bought the car for 3.5k from auction, but the market value was £4700 as that is what the insurance company are paying out. I can put in upto another £1000 if need be.

Any viable alternatives?

Alternatives to a civic - drd63

Lots of alternatives, at least the Civic has a degree of individuality, if you liked the last one why not just replace with the same.

Alternatives to a civic - Avant

I agree with DRD - if you like it go for another Civic.

I assume you can live with the appalling rear visibility: I couldn't so would probably prefer a Focus 2.0 TDCI if I needed a diesel. Avoid VW Group 2.0 PD diesels (they moved to common-rail in 2008/09) and any Mazda diesels.

Alternatives to a civic - pipmk

Alternatives to a Civic? Almost anything else!

Alternatives to a civic - focussed

There is only one alternative-another Civic, nothing else hits the spot-if you've got used to the power and torque of the 2.2 diesel civic nothing else will seem the same again-except an Accord with the N22B2 178 hp motor derived from the N22A in the Civic.

Edited by focussed on 23/07/2015 at 21:23

Alternatives to a civic - Bolt

I agree with focussed, I have one and now would not change apart from the new Civic 1.6 Diesel but thats a few years away yet.

now done 30k in 18 months since I bought it without a hiccup.....fingers crossed it stays that way