What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord - Park Brake Efficiency fail - mafdaf

Hello Eveyone :-)

Failed MOT on Park Brake efficiency. i.e. Handbrake isn't holding well enough.

Have rear discs fitted on this car. MOT guy suggested there could be an issue with the calipers sticking/not working properly.

Now surely if that were the case the brake pedal test would have failed also, no?

Otherwise, I'm just looking to inspect the pads and discs to make sure they are not overly worn and tighten up the handbrake cable.

Happy for any input.

Thank you.

Honda Accord - Park Brake Efficiency fail - elekie&a/c doctor

The rear brakes are hydraulic for footbrake operation but mechanical for the handbrake.So yes,there could be a fault with a caliper(s) or a problem with the h/ brake cable mechanism.

Honda Accord - Park Brake Efficiency fail - hardway

Do not tighten the hand brake cable!!

That's what gets Honda's in this mess in the first place.

The small lever on the calliper that the cable hooks on to MUST have full movement to permit the ratchet inside the piston to move in order to compensate for pad wear,

Tightening the cable restricts the movement.

So no ratchet compensation.

The hand brake might just pass the mot by tightening but will begin to fail as soon as the pads start to wear.

And the lack of lever swing usually results in a siezed lever and a scrap calliper.

I back off the cable and remove it from the calliper,

then work the samll callipr lever back/forward to advance the piston ratchet mechanisim.

The lever movement get less and less as this is done until very little movement will lock the disk/calliper,

Then I refit the cable and adjust the slack to give 4/5 clicks until fully on.

Not the official Honda way but it pretty much always works if the callipers are saveable.

Honda Accord - Park Brake Efficiency fail - old-school-tech

every DIY'ers answer to poor handbrake performance...tighten up the cable !!!

Even qualified mechanics have been known to fail in this department, Always start at the caliper and work back..tightening the cable should be the last job once the caliper is operating correctly. :)

Honda Accord - Park Brake Efficiency fail - mafdaf

Thanks all. I will check the ratchet first. A big thanks