2015 Volvo XC90 review and video - Trilogy

Liked the outgoing version and like this one too.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volvo/xc90-2015/first...o

2015 Volvo XC90 review and video - brum

Hold on while I get my slippers and pipe....

Now my reading glasses......what? Volvo is chinese??

Nuff said...

Edited by brum on 13/02/2015 at 13:34

2015 Volvo XC90 review and video - RT

Hold on while I get my slippers and pipe....

Now my reading glasses......what? Volvo is chinese??

Nuff said...

Does it matter who owns the shares? Most big car companies are publicly quoted corporations so likely held by global pension funds.

Shock, horror - our Royal family came from Germany - but then so did the Celts and Anglo-Saxons if you trace their genetics back far enough.

My concern is that they're using a 2.0 engine giving similar power to their competitors with 3.0 diesels - better fuel consumption maybe but what will the longevity be ?

Edited by RT on 13/02/2015 at 13:42

2015 Volvo XC90 review and video - RobJP

A lot of the other large SUVs are now being sold with smaller engines too.

For example, BMW X5 : it comes in a 2.0 twin-turbo diesel called the 25d (218 bhp), along with a 3.0d in various turbo guises.

The Merc M clase : their 2.1 diesel, called the 250, along with their 3.0d.

Audi currently do the Q7 with a minimum 3.0d - but a brand new version is about to come out. Anyone want to bet against a 2.0d in it ?

The simple fact is that diesel technology in terms of output has moved on amazingly, even with the EU4/5/6 requirements. When BMW brought out the 330d (remember Jensen Button in Germany on the autobahn ?), it had 180 or so BHP. The current 320d has 184 bhp, the 330d has 258, and the 335d has 313 bhp.

Yes, 313 bhp. From a perfectly normal-looking saloon car. It's listed as doing the 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. Lotus Carlton could do the 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. So a diesel 3 series will out-gun it off the line.

That's how far diesel has come. 2.0 diesels in 'luxury' SUVs ? No reason why not, as far as I'm concerned.

2015 Volvo XC90 review and video - RT

But all Volvo's competitor offer a 3.0 option, or standard in the case of current Audi Q7 and LR Discovery. I wasn't commenting on any lack of power, just questioning the potential longevity from producing that much power from 2 litres.

2015 Volvo XC90 review and video - craig-pd130

As an owner of a V60 D4, which goes very well indeed, I'd be very interested to test-drive the D5 version when it becomes available in the S/V60.

2015 Volvo XC90 review and video - Dingle232

Presumably that will be a 'new' D5 four pot as is the new D4? I'm biding my time with the new ones as I have a V40 with the 5 pot D3 but the new D4 engined V40's are a bit expensive for me. I like the D3 but it's very thirsty and I am only managing an average of about 42 mpg from 40/60% town/motorway driving.

Once the new D4 engined cars drop a bit I plan to change mine, either for another V40 or maybe V60. I'd be interested to keep tabs on how the new Volvo diesels perform.