What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Replacement for Qashqai - Happy Blue!

Staff member has a Mk1 Qashqai Tekna with the 1.6 diesel engine. Very happy with it, but the lease is coming to an end in the next few months and we need to consider a replacement.

She has no need of 4WD, but simply likes the higher driving position, powerful and economical engine and simple yet fully stocked interior. Apart from a new model Qashqai, what are the alternatives and are they any better?

I can think of the: -

Hyundai ix35

Kia Sportage

Mazda CX-5

Mitsubishi ASX

Peugeot 3008

I think that the Ford Kuga and Toyota Rav4 will be too big/expensive. Anything else?

Replacement for Qashqai - skidpan

Staff member has a Mk1 Qashqai Tekna with the 1.6 diesel engine.

They did not make the Mk1 Qashqai with a 1.6 diesel, it was 1.5 or 2.0.

The others you list are all bigger than the Qashqai with the exception of the Mitsubuishi ASX which is now cheaper with a better warranty.

The new Suzuki crosser thingy is in the same class and may interst as well.

We have looked briefly at the new Qashqai and we really liked it with a couple of exceptions. Electric handbrake and those stupid expensive TPMS valves. What is wrong with a mechanical handbrake and TPMS based on the ABS signal.

Sorry to disappoint you but as I chose the car with the member of staff I can assure you (and please check autotrader) that it has a 1.6 diesel engine with Stop/Start. Also, I have had an electric handbrake and TPMS in my S-Max for almost five years and they have been 100% reliable.

Thank you for reminidng me of the Suzuki (S-Cross I think?).

Replacement for Qashqai - daveyK_UK

The new Suzuki S Cross was great to drive, its an impressive car for the money but the new Qashqai is good.

Replacement for Qashqai - xtrailman

How can anyone make any recommendations with out giving any idea of the requirements?

Lots of cars have a high riding position, but does she want comfort, performance, handling, or economy?

Driving a Mazda CX-5 myself i wouldnt consider the cashcow because it lacks torque i want . But its a drivers car, perhaps she wants more economy?

The 1.5 cashcow diesel is supposed to be the pick of the range, i would suggest she drives that if shes happy with her present car?

Edited by xtrailman on 06/01/2015 at 22:22

Replacement for Qashqai - Avant

I'd guess that like most of us she wants a balance between all of those.

You could add the Skoda Yeti and Ford C-Max to the list: both have a good choice of petrol or diesel engines (does she need another diesel?) and tick most of the boxes. I agree that the Suzuki S-Cross sounds well worth a look.

If the Qashqai is too big, there's always the Juke - but the engine range isn;t as wide and she;d have to live with the looks and the rear visibility which is even worse than the new Qashqai.

I looked in the What Car tables out of interest: another Qashqai in Tekna trim is seriously expensive, and you can get the new BMW 2-series Active Tourer for less with a 2-litre diesel.

Are you sure they did a 1.6 diesel?

Without checking every page on auto trader only 1.6L is a petrol engine, most are 1.5L diesel with the odd 2L diesel.

From this site - Reviews (Qashqai from 2007) and model history

November 2011

Renault's super efficient, chain cam 1.6DCI 130 engine became available in the Nissan Qashqai. Details here: Nissan Qashqai 1.6 DCI 130 Pure-Drive road test.

I expect HB's employee has an early 2012 model with a 3-year lease about to run out.

Edited by Avant on 06/01/2015 at 22:43

Thanks for the link Avant.

Not really being interested in the cashcow but only because its too small and with insufficiant torque for towing my caravan, am i correct in thinking that engine is the one now fitted into the new Xtrail?

If so its been around a while likewise the 1.5?

I had to smile when i read the link pointing out that the Cashcow was all british on three points, when it carries a French engine. Not that i had any problems with my xtrail Renault engine, it was 100% fault free over 4.5 years i had the car.

Replacement for Qashqai - Ethan Edwards

Absolutely correct XT man. 1.5 is a diesel 1.6 a petrol. Also available a 2 litre petrol and 2 litre diesel and thats all.

We swapped our 2.5 XT for a 2ltr diesel QQ. It's also one of the few 2ltre diesel 4wd and Auto.

That 2.5 petrol engine I believe was available in the US in their version of the QQ called the Rogue.

I only wish the QQ was as well put together as our old T30 XT was.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 06/01/2015 at 22:42

Replacement for Qashqai - Ethan Edwards

Ok I'm surprised but splitting hairs. Introduced in 2011 still isnt the mk1. Therefore the op still doesnt have a 1.6 diesel.??

Guys. Does it matter what engine??? The car is a May 2013 1.6 Diesel that is likely to go over its agreed mileage so we are considering options, one of which is to get her a new car and find a home for current one with a low miles user.

The employee will do at least 20,000 miles a year so a diesel is necessary. She likes sitting high, the Juke or Mokka are too small. Good CO2 figures are required for BIK, so some vehicles are worse than the current car, whilst the new QQ has better figures and cheap lease deals.

Replacement for Qashqai - I'm a Pane

I'd add the Citroen C4 Picasso to any list which requires higher seat position, comfort, equipment and low running costs on lease.

Replacement for Qashqai - Wee Willie Winkie

Avoiding of course the horrid semi automatic gearbox.

Replacement for Qashqai - Sulphur Man

Okay, some clarity needed.

The facelifted Mk1 Qashqai was available with the chain cam Renault-Nissan alliance 1.6DCi. I know as I had one. Its a great engine - no DPF issues and credible 50mpg+ economy.

Unsuprisingly, that engine (and the older 1.5 cambelt) have been carried onto the Mk2 Qashqai, new Xtrail and various Renaults.

There will be a twinscroll turbo version coming soon too.

Just get the new Qashqai with the same engine again.

I tend to agree the cashcow has had excellent reviews, only whatcar said the 1.5 was prefered due to vibrations through the pedals on the 1.6 on test.

I'm a Nissan fan having had four, all good to drive.

Do you have any links to the new twin turbo due out, not the engine i know about that one, but release date for the Xtrail, i might take a test drive with that engine fitted, as yet i havent even bothered to look at the new one.

Replacement for Qashqai - balleballe

No release date has been confirmed, but it will be in the next few months.....Mazda's brand new CX3.

It's like the Juke - only much better looking, cheaper and most likely more fun to drive

I look forward to a group test with the CX-3 and cashcow.

Subject to reasonable lease deals she is going to have a new Qashqai with the same spec and engine. Nothing comes close on value, BIK and driving quality. Down to the dealers tomorrow and a bit of tinternet research as well.

Sounds like a sensible move. I've read somewhere that the 1.6 is noticeably livelier than the 1.5, so could be worth the extra if you can get a good leasing deal on it.

I feel for the lass. Her last three company cars have been hand-me-downs; a Mazda 3, Saab 9-5 (last model) and the Qashqai. Of the three, the QQ is the one she likes the most. She is an excellent employee so it is time to let her have her own choice within reason. We had a look at the alternatives, but after looking at pricing (both cost and lease), BIK, performance etc etc she simply wants another one; and it makes economic sense as well.

At least I can approve of this purchase. Whilst the Mazda3 was also a sensible purchase, a BMW 320d Coupe and the Saab were leased for supposedly high liying sales people who were either no good or b*ggered off leaving behind cars no-one wanted to drive because they were too low, too large, the BIK was too high and who wants to drive a large car like the Saab with a manual gearbox.

The Saab had the 1.9TiD engine which was powerful enough. The QQ is fast enough but the larger body with the 1.5 engine will be too sluggish for her, even though it will save BIK (19% - 15%).

Replacement for Qashqai - davecooper
I don't think you will see a Qashqai and CX3 end up in a group test together. The new Qashqai is a much larger car that sits in the next size up along with the iX35, Kuga, CX5 etc. The CX3 is based on the new Mazda 2.

Edited by davecooper on 08/01/2015 at 12:47

Replacement for Qashqai - oldtoffee

I chose a Tiguan DSG over ix35, ASX, new Qashqai and Sportage, more expensive but much nicer drive than all. Now you can get almost £6k off list price as a new model is looming. Good lease rates from VW and major lease companies, BIK might be a bit higher than the Qashqai but worth it IMO. I do 25k a year and it is very comfy and refined at speed as well as around town. Wouldn't spend my own money on one but as a company car for 3 years I rate it.

Edited by oldtoffee on 09/01/2015 at 10:55

Spoke to a leasing company today. Apparently 1.6dCi cars have been on back order for at least six months. Don't know if this is true but makes my job harder.

What about adding the Audi Q3 1.4 petrol to that list?

according to autoexpress its probably the pick of the range, at around £26K.

Production has restarted. Car ordered. Very good lease deals. Tempted myself but still need the space of the S-Max for another year or so. A local estate agent said I must be wealthy......I haven't changed my car in over four and a half years and the only people he knows who haven't changed their cars are the wealthy ones. I must keep the car longer to increase my 'wealth'.

Replacement for Qashqai - Alby Back
For your own car HB, have you considered the new X Trail? Bigger than a Qq but with many of its attributes.

I've been sort of thinking of one, possibly, maybe, perhaps, dunno...

Big boot, low bik, looks kind of ok, probably reliable...

Difficult isn't it?

;-)
Replacement for Qashqai - pinkpanther_75

Yeti for me!

I've owned both an early petrol Qashqai and subsequently 3 Yeti's (1 petrol and 2 diesel).

Replacement for Qashqai - StGeorgeII

About 6 months ago I had a Hyundai ix35 as a courtesy vehicle, I believe it was a 1.6 diesel, I was used to a 2ltr petrol BMW at the time and overall I thought it was an excellent car.

Considering the size of it and the fact it was a 1.6 diesel I thought it moved well, at it was 3 months old with 2,000 miles, it was averaging on the computer 40MPG as I remember. The drive was decent and the handling good. Obviously, plenty of room. My only thoughts, of a negative sense, was the fact the interior looked cheap but other that that I enjoyed the space and drive for the week that I had it.

I've also test driven a Sportage recently, I really liked everything about it, but when the chap told me it was £400 PCM on a 48 month PCP I decided against it, although that was with a small deposit of £500. Nice car though.

I'd consider looking at a 3 year old Land/Range Rover rather than buying new...