What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - otter valley

Lubricating drive belt when very dry and squeaking and making clicking or tapping noise when starting up.

Is is possible please to use WD 40 on drive belts or are you not allowed to do this please?

Makes squeaking and clicking or tapping sounds when very cold and starting up.

(I used to be able to do this on a Vauxhall Victor 101 FC car in the 1970s, but not sure if you do that now).

Thank you.

Brian.

Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - gordonbennet

I'd replace the belt anyway (try Gates or Conti), if you've got a squeaker it's almost impossible to shut them up permanently, but check tension first it could simply be loose and a loose belt will slip when cold.

Don't forget to spin all the pulleys up with the belt off, the squeal might be a failing bearing somewhere, you could feed a little light oil into any suspect bearings and see if it helps to confirm the one, if any.

Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - elekie&a/c doctor
Agreed as above.The only extra bit of info here is you may find this car has a stretchy belt with no tensioner.So the old one will need to be cut off,and the new one fitted with the correct install tool to prevent damage .
Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - skidpan

WD40 is a lubricant. That will make the belt slip. That is not a good idea.

Talc was an old bodge to stop a belt sqeeking.

Correct cure is tension correctly and/or replace.

Ford belts are stretchy so correct tool required.

Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - bathtub tom

>>WD40 is a lubricant.

It's actually Water Dispersant formula number 40. There's very little lubricant in it and there's far better penetrating fluids.

Edited by bathtub tom on 29/12/2014 at 14:40

Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - skidpan

Got a can of WD40 in front of me now. Say on it "lubricates and protects".

Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - bathtub tom

Here's the US material safety data sheet that clearly shows it contains less than 25% oil: wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd482671453.pdf

Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - gordonbennet

One thing i'm proving beyond doubt is that WD works as i hoped for what i bought a 5litre pack for.

The alloy wheels on my lorry are plain non coated castings, and they suffer badly from salt corrosion, i keep mine in good condition, polished now and again, and have been experimenting in spraying the wheels in WD40 after i've washed the lorry off properly, wheels dried off, to help prevent salt attack.

Whilst attracting the salt and muck, once pressure washed off the salt hasn't got through to any great extent, so a repeat coating it is.

Don't suppose this is world shattering news, but it might be of interest to those who like to keep ugly metal corrosion at bay under their bonnets, its easily washed off after the winter salt has gone, would be no harm as i can see doing the same as i have to your alloy wheels (worth covering the discs to prevent overspray), especially those diamond cut and laquered types which suffer really badly for the duration of salting.

Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - otter valley

My thanks to all those who replied to my question re the drive belt.

I will take on board your advice!

Regards.

Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - brighteyes
Another dodge for a noisy fanbelt is washing up liquid. As to WD40 I always sprayed my Harley with it when it was put away for the winter. It was the devils own job to get off come spring but the effort was well worth it. No rust or corrosion just a lovely shiny Harley which was my pride and joy, sadly it had to go.

Spraying WD40 on wheels to protect them is fine. Just make sure you don't get any on the brake discs. It does not improve your stopping power.

Ford Zetec . 3 door petrol. 2004 year. - Fan or drive belt. WD 40 - usage off. - Andrew-T

As has been said, WD40's intended purpose is as a Water Dispersant. Many people think it is a lubricant, but it is better as a penetrating oil. Because it is good at penetrating it will often stop squeaks or other noises from dry mating surfaces, but it tends to disappear quickly.

When I have such noises I try to introduce a drop or two of 'proper' oil to the source of the noise, then carry it further in with a squirt of WD.