What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf - James May names "The peoples car" - Steveieb

Last night's programme hosted by James May named the VW Golf as the modern day peoples car.

But with concerns about DPF failures on the TDI s and DSG problems is the MK6/7 Golf really following in the tradition of this famous model?

Or should be looking at entry level cars such as the Dacia Sandero?

VW Golf - James May names "The peoples car" - mss1tw

Agreed. Or one of the 'reasonably priced cars'

VW Golf - James May names "The peoples car" - TedCrilly

If Dacia manage to shift 2000 of their finest everyday for the next 40 years then yeah....I would say its a contender.

VW Golf - James May names "The peoples car" - Wackyracer

It was quite an interesting program. With the history of some popular (and unpopular) cars.

However, I'm not convinced that the Golf is a true 'peoples car'.

In my opinion a 'peoples car' has to be easily affordable and Golf's are not cheap.

VW Golf - James May names "The peoples car" - Steveieb

Thanks for your replies.

I would be interested to hear what cars you would nominate as the "Peoples Car"

VW Golf - James May names "The peoples car" - Leif
Indeed, a golf is expensive. Maybe it is the middle class people's car. I hate to push Ford, having been screwed by a Ford garage, but the Fiesta, or even the Corsa, has more claim to the title.
VW Golf - James May names "The peoples car" - Avant

Because different people have different needs from their cars, maybe there can never truly be a 'people's car'. The Fiesta is consistently the best-selling car in the UK, so if any car has a claim, it has: but it's not for everyone. I need something bigger, SWMBO something smaller.

Edited by Avant on 13/12/2014 at 21:55