What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - DiddlyDonker
Hi guys,

I was hoping you could help me in my search for a new car. I'm after a sporty looking economical car for under £5000, preferably diesel as I travel 30 miles 5 days a week to work.

My preferences are:

1. A nice interior, with a trip computer showing avg mpg etc.
2. Good mpg
3. Sporty looking
4. Diesel
5. Under 80k mileage

I've been looking at the Ford Focus TDCi MK 2.5, SEAT Leon FR and Volkswagen Golf mainly, any comments or recommendations?

All help is appreciated,
Thanks!

Edited by DiddlyDonker on 02/12/2014 at 11:23

Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - RobJP

For the price range you're looking at, I'd be careful with the VW Golf. To start with, the automatics are all DSG gearboxes, and they are notorious for major (i.e. expensive) problems. In addition, they also commonly suffer what is known as 'Teves' ABS brake problems - again, these can be expensive. Finally, the 2005-2008/09 2.0 diesel VW engine wasn't their finest offering, well known for oil pump issues which can wreck the engine. So, if you're looking at a diesel Golf, I'd suggest either the 1.9TDi and a manual gearbox, or nothing at all.

SEAT uses the same basic engineering underneath, so all the same provisos apply.

For the Focus, the 1.6TDCi engine is also a bit notorious for problems - the 2.0TDCi engine is far less problematic.

Finally, do be aware that any of these can have a DMF or DPF on the way out, and that being the reason it's been sold by the last owner - to avoid the big bills around the corner - but that is true of any car. Look carefully, ask lots of questions, and always be willing to walk away, there are lots of other cars out there. If something is ridiculously cheap, then be especially dubious.

Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - S40 Man

How about volvo c30. Same car underneath as focus. I think they look sporty and the interior is nice. 2.0d powerful enough but economy of my s40 wasnt great.

Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - skidpan

How about a Kia Pro-Ceed (the 3 door "sporty" version).

The 1.6 CRDi is very reliable.

Chain cams

Probably no DPF at the OP's budget (Sept 2010 onwards only) but if it had they are not known for having issues.

No DMF ever.

Should have some manufacturers warranty left provided serviced correctly with receiptes etc.

In the OP's use it should do mid 50's easilly, ours did when the wife was commuting 20 miles each way. Take it a few mph slower and 60 mpg is easilly possible.

Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - Alanovich

How about a Kia Pro-Ceed (the 3 door "sporty" version)

Happen you've nailed it there skidpan. Good call.

Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - gordonbennet

Leave it till next year you might just pick up a Citroen DS3 1.6 HDi in budget.

There's always the equivalent 207 1.6HDi sport, thats definately in budget.

You want full history with these, but with regular oil changes (annual or 10k) a good car.

If you're prepared to consider a petrol, the rare Yaris 1.8 SR would be my choice, that engine is economical enough in an Avensis.

Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Those are Sporty looking? Each to their own description. Too vague to help but run through Honest Johns car by car guide. Economy also means reliability as much as fuel consumption so factor that in. Korean name diesel with a long warranty as suggested above.

I think my Skoda Octavia Elegance with sport suspension ticks all your boxes.

Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - skidpan

Those are Sporty looking? Each to their own description. Too vague to help but run through Honest Johns car by car guide. Economy also means reliability as much as fuel consumption so factor that in. Korean name diesel with a long warranty as suggested above.

I would be the first to admit that all the cars mentioned are simply hatches with a few tarty add ons, that does not make them sporty IMHO.

But the OP talked about Golfs, Focus , Seat in the first post so that is what the following posters have added to with similar cars the OP has possibly not considered.

If the OP wanted a truly sporty car he would need to consider a Mazda MX5, a BMW with a big 6 cylinder petrol engine or even a Porsche.

That may well suit the OP but IMHO its far less sporty than the others mentioned since its a large family car and all the sport suspension will do is wreck the ride.

Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - gordonbennet

With car's looks each to their own, like Skidpan i wouldn't call any of the OP's choices sporty, so have given some equally bland alternatives that benefit from the odd bit of plastic and larger wheels to give them 'the look'.

I misread the title of the OP at first and thought it was going to be a Sports Car thread, with desirable and pretty/handsome cars like Honda S2000's to talk about.

Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - bazza

I have the 1.9 tdi but in Octavia format. Although it is actually quite quick, I wouldn't call it sporty. The 1.9 motor makes the nose of the car very heavy and it understeers when pushed, although in a safe, predictable manner. Our 1.6 petrol Focus by comparison, although not as torquey, will literally run rings around it on a demanding cross country route- 45mpg too.

Having said that, a Fabia VRS 130 I drove seemed very well set up and would be a very rapid, useful car if you like the looks.

I also liked the Golf GT tdi I borrowed last year, with the common rail engine. Very quick and a decent handler. Not sure of buying a used one though, with all the potential pitfalls of the modern diesel.

What about a Swift Sport---is that in budget? it's a petrol and Japanese, so probably reliable. Don't get hung up on diesel, fuel cost is just one aspect of ownership.

Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - oldtoffee

>>>Having said that, a Fabia VRS 130 I drove seemed very well set up and would be a very rapid, useful car if you like the looks.

With the same heavy 1.9tdi lump under the bonnet? I had one, great little car but woefully nose heavy, monster understeer and average at best brakes. Had it chipped to 170 bhp, it flew but sadly the brakes and chassis weren't up to it. My fault but fun while it lasted. I'd have another one if I could and would upgrade the suspension and brakes and enjoy it immensely.
Any Economical Sporty Cars? (BUDGET 5K) - focussed

You might just about be able to find an 06 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDI Type S for that sort of money. Quick, economical and sporty, good grip and steering, not many cars can stay with a properly driven one on a country road if it's in reasonable nick - should not be difficult to achieve 40-45 mpg, has all the bells and whistles you are looking for. Just make sure that the clutch has been uprated for the later type as the earlier ones suffered slipping at 2000-2500 rpm in fith or sixth gear at max throttle.