What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford mondeo ghia x 2.5 v6 - Help car cuts out when tank still a third full - avfc
When my tank reaches approx a third full, with 130 miles range showing on the computer, it has started to kick back or worse cut out, particularly in 5th gear, cruising at 70mph, has happened 4 times and been a real pain to re start on 2 occasions leaving me stuck on a dual carriageway. I'm currently re filling when half full, but not ideal for longer runs. Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated.

It runs like dream when there is plenty in the tank.
Ford mondeo ghia x 2.5 v6 - Help car cuts out when tank still a third full - NARU

It's a long shot, but next time it happens, try taking the fuel cap off and put it back on again. You could have a vacuum building up.

Ford mondeo ghia x 2.5 v6 - Help car cuts out when tank still a third full - Railroad.
You need to establish if the engine is running out of fuel when the tank gets below level. Inside the tank is a swirl pot. Fuel is picked up from and returned to the pot where air is beaten out. This is never an issue when the tank is full because fuel spills over into the pot keeping it full, but when the fuel level is lower returned fuel must fill the pot otherwise the engine will be starved. If you're certain that the engine is being starved of fuel then I would start by removing the fuel tank unit and pump combined and look inside the tank for a disconnected or split hose from the fuel return.
Ford mondeo ghia x 2.5 v6 - Help car cuts out when tank still a third full - avfc
Thanks for the help, that sounds a b**** of a job
Ford mondeo ghia x 2.5 v6 - Help car cuts out when tank still a third full - elekie&a/c doctor

May be an idea to see if there is any damage to the tank.The pump and pick up sit in the lowest part.

Ford mondeo ghia x 2.5 v6 - Help car cuts out when tank still a third full - Railroad.
Thanks for the help, that sounds a b**** of a job

It may not be. Often the fuel pump and tank unit are accessible by removing the rear seat. Also it's possible that you may have less fuel in the tank than you think. How much does it take to fill from the point the engine cuts out? And what is the capacity of the tank? The fuel gauge reading may be incorrect. In any case though all fuel injection car fuel tanks have a swirl pot inside. It's there to serve a purpose, and fuel must return to the swirl pot rather than just into the tank. If it isn't then the swirl pot will be empty and fuel will not be drawn. If you have one, connect an ammeter to the fuel pump circuit to monitor how much current the pump is drawing. It should typically be around 5-6 amps. If it drops down it means that the pump is under less load, indicating that it isn't picking up fuel. That should help you to determine if the problem is inside the tank.