What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka - Cheap MOT's - Drivethru

I've been reading the 'First MOT' info as my car is coming up to it's first MOT next month. There are quite a few offers on at the moment, eg. half price at a national chain, but I am always a bit dubious that they will find some work that needs doing for the car to pass the test and you end up spending more anyway. I know if shouldn't happen, the test should be genuine, but what are others opinions?

Ford Ka - Cheap MOT's - skidpan

We always have and have had MOT's carried out with the annual service at the main dealer. They know the car and want repeat custom. Never had an issue. Not had a fail since 1996 (leaking rear wheel cylinder).

Ford Ka - Cheap MOT's - Andrew-T

I suppose this is a possible worry, but why can't it happen at a full-price place too? It's more important that if something needs doing it's done by a competent mechanic.

Ford Ka - Cheap MOT's - Doc

If you are near any of these branches, this outfit does cheap MOTs but does not do repairs, so should be unbiased.

"Just MOT’s Limited is independent which means that it has no links, of any nature, with any vehicle repair, servicing or spares operation. For a pre-determined fee, customers are given an unbiased and independent assessment of their vehicle’s roadworthiness. Should a vehicle fail, the customer receives a list of the items which caused the failure and is then in a position to assess and control the cost of remedying these items.

Do I have to pay for a re-test? No, re-tests are free."

I have no connection with the firm, but have used them twice.

www.justmots.eu/online-booking.php

Ford Ka - Cheap MOT's - Cyd

My father buys his cars new and keeps them for 6 - 7 years. He does like Skid and has the MoTs done with th eservice. He's never had a problem.

On the other hand, I always use our local MoT station who do nothing else, so they are never looking for work. i prefer it that way.

I'd bet a pint that if you took it to a chain they'll find something wrong with the brakes!

Ford Ka - Cheap MOT's - Drivethru

Thanks for the link Doc, they sound really good but unfortunately I am in the North East. I agree Cyd, I think I will stick with my local mechanic.

Ford Ka - Cheap MOT's - madf

Kwikfit half price for me.

No fails in 5 years on two cars - both self maintained.

Ford Ka - Cheap MOT's - Chris M

I've used a cheapo (currently £22.95) MoT place for the last 10 years. Had 3 fails on 3 cars. All were expected &/or justified. Even if you do get a fail, there's nothing to stop you taking the car to your usual garage/mechanic for the repairs.

I do my own pre MoT check beforehand.

Edited by Chris M on 24/08/2014 at 19:22