What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord - road/tyre noise - jbhepburn

Just bought a 2005 honda accord executive and it has the 17" wheels fitted

was wondering if anyone else has terrible road noise from the tyres as i have had the bearings checked,is this normal!!!!!

Honda Accord - road/tyre noise - Bolt

Tyre noise will change with the road surface but wheel bearings whine and get worse with speed and give a throbbing whine sound when bad.

Honda Accord - road/tyre noise - RobJP

How much wear is left on the tyres ? What brand are the tyres ? Some brands in particular are very loud, and if they've got 4mm or less remaining, even louder.

Honda Accord - road/tyre noise - skidpan

Why did you buy it if its so noisy. Did you not test it before.

Honda Accord - road/tyre noise - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I take it that 17" wheels means that the tyres are very low profile. I know that this is supposed to be modern and good-looking bling, but to me, this is getting back to cart wheels and I suppose that the only reason that these tyres are pneumatic rather than solid is that pneumatic is the 'convention' and it would be difficult to get drivers to accept solid tyres, but there certainly isn't enough air in these extreme low profile tyres to be of any use as regards insulating the vehicle from the road surface. So there you are.. Your car is fitted with cart wheels and your tyres may as well be solid rubber... You are never going to get a quiet, smooth or comfortable ride.

Honda Accord - road/tyre noise - RobJP

17" wheels isn't that bad. I think the most insane I know of is that you can get a diesel Vectra with 20" rims on it !

Honda Accord - road/tyre noise - skidpan

Our Kia ceed is fitted with 17" wheels with 225 45 17 tyres.

During the winter we fit 16" wheels with 205 55 16 tyres.

There is no noticable difference to the ride and noise in the car.

My old BMW was fitted with 205 50 17 run flat tyres.

During the winter it was itted with exactly the same 16" tyres as the Ceed.

Any noise difference was undetectable but the ride was slightly better on the 16" non run flats.

As RobJP says 17" is not too radical a wheel/tyre combination. The problem is with those fitted with tyres that look little more than a painted line of the rim.

Honda Accord - road/tyre noise - coopshere
I had 17" wheels on a 2.4 exec and found that different tyres do make a difference. However when I changed to an Avensis, also with 17" wheels, I realised how much road noise the Accord had in comparison. If the tyres are well worn they do tend to make more noise. Check out the tyre rating sites to see the different db ratings for new tyres, there are some big differences. They do relate to noise outside but that is also relative to the noise inside.