What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus - stopping in a bus clearway - neil Waters

stopped in st albans on a bus clearway with a single yellew line to pick my wife up. only there for 30 seconds and was told by a traffic warden i would be fined £100. is this right

ford focus - stopping in a bus clearway - RobJP

It depends on the exact bylaws in use at the location concerned : However, you MAY be allowed to stop 'for long enough to drop off or pick up passengers'. But how long is that ?

It all depends really. One person who myself and my wife regularly give a lift to seems to take a couple of minutes to get out of the car - I've in the past asked her to get a move on because traffic is waiting behind us, which she seems oblivious to as she starts to tell my wife something or other. If I'm being dropped off, I've got one hand on the seatbelt buckle, and the other hand on the door handle as the car comes to a stop. Ten seconds later, I'm gone.

All you can really do is wait for the ticket to come through. If you feel it is unreasonable, then appeal.

ford focus - stopping in a bus clearway - FP

You may well have been correctly informed.

"£70.00 charge reduced to £35.00 if paid within 14 days, but if remaining unpaid increasing by 50% to £105.00 upon issue of a Charge Certificate..."

[from St Albans City & District Council Enforcement Policy, Stopped where prohibited (on a red route or clearway) - see Code 46]

Full details: tinyurl.com/ofntm6j (opens a pdf with stuff about St Albans parking/stopping contraventions)

Of course, it all depends on exactly how the road in question is officially designated.

Edited by FP on 19/07/2014 at 16:06

ford focus - stopping in a bus clearway - Dwight Van Driver

Pre 2007 the LA would need a Traffic Regulation Order to bring in a Bus Lane Clearway. The Order would spell out just what is allowed but the term Clearway indicates NO STOPPING (other than in an Emergency) so doubful this would allow a stop to drop/pick up passenger.

Post 2007 LA were allowed to bring these in after consultation without a TRO so the only way to check to see if dropping off etc allowed will be to contact your Local Authority. They do have to sign No stopping.

It appears the offence was detected by camera as no mention of the CEO giving out a ticket. There has been an amendment submitted in the Deregulation Bill before Parliament giving the Transport Minister power to make regulations that certain such camera methods be outlawed. As yet the Bill has not be passed as Law and no Reg made..........but it is coming.

As previously stated I will doubt they will as Clearway indicates No Stopping.

dvd

ford focus - stopping in a bus clearway - RT

Since you clearly seem to know/accept that it is a Bus Clearway - in which case you should know not to stop there for any reason/purpose however short the time.