What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus 1998 1.8 petrol - high revving when depressing clutch - charliebrownboy

My car has begun to rev high when I change gear, it runs ok other than the high revs. I have had the diagnostic test done, but everything is normal. The gagage think it may be the clutch is on the way out as the pedal is very high, the car pulls ok and goes into gear ok.

I have noticed a slight brake cylinder leak at the back and wondered if this would possibly be allowing air into the fluid which also serves the clutch master cylinder. any help would be appreciated.

ford focus 1998 1.8 petrol - high revving when depressing clutch - Big John

Whatever you you do you need to sort out the brake cylinder leak - check both sides. You will probably need new brake shoes- This is a safety issue.

Air in the clutch fluid would cause the clutch to drag - unlikely as any air bubbles will rise to the top

What is the tickover like when in neutral?

ford focus 1998 1.8 petrol - high revving when depressing clutch - charliebrownboy

Thank you for replying, have already sorted out the leaking cylinder problem. The tickover speed is normal or just below, its when i change up the gears on depressing the clutch that the revs go up but when in gear its still a bit fast for the speed but not not excessively