What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Avensis - Flimsy bodywork and paintwork - Bilboman

Coming up to two years (half way through company lease period) and my Toyota is looking quite sorry for itself. Front and rear bumpers have numerous scuffs and scratches (no spare cash in kitty for a mid-range model or aftermarket reversing aids)
The dozen or more pea-sized scuffs I carefully painted over with the Toyota touch-up pen and lacquer (following instructions to the letter) have become discoloured and look like the work of a nervous finals student with a serious Tipp-Ex fetish.
I haven't yet looked at the four deep gouges inflicted by metal-edged number plates of neighbouring cars (none of them my doing, m'Lud!)
The lower front grille has become dislodged from its mountings three times - the slightest pressure seems to ping it out of its rather shallow mounting clips.
The upper front grille seems to have nothing more robust than chewing gum supporting it behind the attractive chrome and paintwork.
Any journey of more than 100 kms these days seems to wipe out entire insect colonies, leaving encrusted bodies, wings and blood over the whole of the front of the car and the mirrors.
Colleagues who changed cars at the same time as me who opted for Zafira, Scenic and C-Max models all have cars which look almost showroom-new, despite similar mileages and mostly on-street parking.
The flimsy bodywork and poor quality, far too thin, paint finish are beginning to put me off the brand.

Toyota Avensis - Flimsy bodywork and paintwork - corax

If you are talking about the 2003-09 model, then I disagree. Tough, long lasting cars in my experience.

Toyota Avensis - Flimsy bodywork and paintwork - Andrew-T

<< Any journey of more than 100 kms these days seems to wipe out entire insect colonies, leaving encrusted bodies, wings and blood over the whole of the front of the car and the mirrors. >>

There's nothing like the number of bugs around these days, compared to 40 or 50 years ago. Anyone remember the US-style bug deflectors for the top of the radiator?

Toyota Avensis - Flimsy bodywork and paintwork - gordonbennet

Sounds like its been abused, battered and contact parked regularly.

The best cars for this type of abuse were Volvo 144 big bumper versions, those could be driven dodgem style.

Toyota Avensis - Flimsy bodywork and paintwork - madf

My summary of this thread:

Man drives badly, hits lots of things, causes lot of minor damage and then blames the maker for his own driving shortcomings...

"hits lots of things" - "abused, battered,..." - And how would you know that? Were you there?
In my defence: it's a huge car, does not have parking sensors and I have to park it and drive away up to a dozen times a day. (I have been driving for 30 years in the UK and Spain with a clean licence, for the record.) The idiotic push-button parking brake does not help!
With the mileage I do, I would expect to suffer (or cause) the occasional scuff, but the paintwork on the flimsy plasticky bumpers is rubbish compared to other cars I have had. The bumper sections are clearly black polycarbonate, sprayed white to no particular depth, and prone to flaking. Part of the cost-cutting (penny pinching) to get this car onto company fleets, no doubt (List price was a whisper under 20,000 Euro, and so there's no touch screen, climate control, parking sensors, mobile phone interface or even seat back pockets. And the choice of any colour as long as it's white!)

Edited by Bilboman on 25/05/2014 at 13:04

Toyota Avensis - Flimsy bodywork and paintwork - Avant

About seven years ago, when I had a Mercedes B-class, I bumped into a stout old Volvo 850 at about 2 mph. No damage at all to the Volvo, but £1,000 worth of cosmetic stuff to the Mercedes.

Modern cars have too many fussy bits on them; that's a matter of design rather than quality. And of course it was my fault!

Toyota Avensis - Flimsy bodywork and paintwork - wrangler_rover

My last company car, 2009 Avensis Tourer went back at 150k miles and 4 years old, I stopped using it at 3 years 8 months when it reached it's contracted 150k miles.

The only mark it had on it was on the rear bumper when I misjudged a reverse and touched a brick wall. I did look after it and was careful where I parked. One thing I would like to see is proper bumpers on cars and not plastic body panels in place of bumpers.

Some support at last - thank you!
Bring back the Volvo estates - square styling, squishy bumpers and all!