What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2011 - Strange noise - dbi

I'm getting a dull "beat" / throb which seems road speed related and seems to come from the rear, although I'm not absolutely sure of that. It's not engine speed related and it's not very loud.. Any bright ideas, please?

dbi

Ford Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2011 - Strange noise - The-Mechanic

Could be a noisy wheel bearing ?

Other causes can be an adversely worn or distorted tyre, worn shock absorbers or worn antiroll bar joints/bushes.

Ford Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2011 - Strange noise - PeteSmith

Maybe nothing, but a friend of mine had this, and so did I with my previous car.

His problem was an "egg" on the inside edge of his tyre. He doesn't know how it happened, but the side wall had failed.

On my previous car, when I bought it, the steering was out, and there was a thumping throbbing sound. When I checked the car, I realised the passenger side front *wheel* didn't match the others. I took it back, and to cut a long story short, it looks like the car had been kerbed before I'd bought it, the wheel had been dented, and replaced with the wrong wheel (Mondeo Ghia and Zetec wheels are very similar, but the notch in the spoke is longer on the Ghia), but the original tyre had been put back on, complete with wires poking into the inside of the tyre.

Get your tyres condition checked. Swap one of the rears for the front, and then do the other - see if you can see if the noise moves.

If it doesn't, it's almost certainly a rear wheel bearing.

Ford Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2011 - Strange noise - Peter.N.

Ply seperation can cause this, in fact its the most likey cause, it could be due to a fault in the tyre rather than anything that has happened to it.