What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2006 ford focus 1.8 tdci - hesitation - reefa

Hi all. I have problems when pulling off. The car dithers between 1100-1500 rpm .when cold its fine, I got red light that it was egr. Vale . So replaced. Still happens, if I press accelerator and keep at 1200-1300rpm it feels lumpy and jerky , a friend said it might need manifold to come off and be cleaned ,is this right or could it be another problem thanks.

2006 ford focus 1.8 tdci - hesitation - Railroad.
Lots of people incorrectly blame the EGR valve itself as the cause of EGR system faults. If the valve is clean and moves from fully open to fully closed nice and easily then I fail to understand what's meant to be wrong with it. People need a better understanding of what the EGR system does and how it works.
2006 ford focus 1.8 tdci - hesitation - reefa

Thanks for the reply, so im booked into garage next week and will post the findings thanks,,,,,

2006 ford focus 1.8 tdci - hesitation - BenG

I had severe jerking and hesitation with my car and it turned out to be a dodgy injector, but that would affect running at higher revs too.

Does sound consistent with sticking EGR valve from what other people have said on the Ford forums. Cheap enough to get it checked out and maybe cleaned. As the previous poster pointed out, if the valve moves freely perhaps the actuator is not working properly?

Also with a fly-by-wire car like the Focus there's a potentiometer in the accelerator pedal and if this is a bit flaky it could be affecting power application, though I've no idea if this is a common fault on the Focus.

I guess you can get the fault codes read when you take the car in to see if there are any logged faults. Might not catch an EGR issue though.