What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Which Executive Estate? - Simonjc1

I'm looking at a new estate and have narrowed it down to 3 potential cars, but I can't decide which one to go for. The choices are:

• 2010 520d touring 25k miles
  • 2011 525d touring 76k miles (latest 2 litre)
  • 2012 Audi A6 Avant 2.0 S line 35k miles

I intend to keep it for around 3 years and do around 12k miles a year. The BMWs are the same price and the Audi another £800. Which will be best in terms of value both to run and when I come to sell? Am very tempted by the performance of 525d but worried about how it will last and depreciate. The 520d has great spec but does its age count against it? Your thoughts appreciated.

Edited by Simonjc1 on 31/01/2014 at 13:56

Which Executive Estate? - coopshere
A. They are not "Executive" estates, sales manager maybe.

B. They will be very expensive to repair outside of their standard warranty and neither manufacturer will entertain assisting you when they go wrong.

C. For long term reliability choose petrol over diesel.
Which Executive Estate? - Avant

Your are paying more for an older car because it;s a diesel. I think diesels won't always hold their value better, but at least as far as the premium marques go they still do.

Go for the petrol, although if for any reason you prefer a BMW, look for a petrol one.

Which Executive Estate? - Happy Blue!

Forget the high mileage car.

Several years ago I bought a diesel car that I thought had sat on the motorway for three years and 26,000 miles pa. As I only drive 10,000 miles pa, I thought great - a cheaper car and I can get the average milage down.

It turned out to be rough and sold it within three months. I would go the Audi, simply because I dislike BMW interiors. Your best bet is a Mondeo Titanium X with all the toys, front wheel drive, a more confortable interior and seating, and far cheaper to run.

Which Executive Estate? - skidpan

Your best bet is a Mondeo Titanium X with all the toys, front wheel drive, a more confortable interior and seating, and far cheaper to run.

Had a Mondeo 2.0 TDCi and a BMW 118D. I appreciate that they are not comparable on size but they are both 2.0 turbodiesels.

As for toys both were similar but our Mondeo was only a lowly Zetec.

The Mondeo was FWD but in 99.9% of circumstances its irrelevent. When the weather was poor I never failed toget home in the BMW even before I fitted winter tyres, after that it was unstopable.

Both cars were equally comfortable but the 1 series (which the OP is not considering) had a much smaller rear and boot.

As for running costs it was no contest. Over 5 years the BMW averaged 48 mpg, the Mondeo 38 mpg. On a long run it was closer,the BMW would do 54 mpg,the Mondeo 47 mpg. Servicing was again game and match BMW, it was probably 1/2 of the Fords cost, repairs were about the same, Ford needed rear subframe bushes, BMW a new front spring. But the killler was depreciation, the BMW was still in demand and we got a good price, the Mondeo was luckily bought with a good discount and still lost way more over 5 years.

Which Executive Estate? - oldtoffee

I'd also recommend petrol given your mileage and both Audi and BMW diesels can and do go expensively wrong especially BMW 2.0s and their turbos.

Check out prices of a 525i petrol, terrific engine, very highly regarded by knowledgeable independents who look after them and good economy (for a powerful petrol).

I have a sales reps assistants childminder's spec Mondeo and skidpan's comments about depreciation are right - you have to buy the Titanium X at rock bottom prices (not easy, not many about) and then you'll only suffer heavy depreciaton.

Which Executive Estate? - kerbed enthusiasm

" They are not "Executive" estates, sales manager maybe."

Okay, I'll take the bait! Which models do deserve the accolade, 'executive estate'?

Which Executive Estate? - Happy Blue!

Big six cylinder engines with all the toys sitting in large cars, larger than strictly necessary for the type of driving the car is used for.

Which Executive Estate? - kerbed enthusiasm

Ah, a synonym for ostentatious. Thanks for the clarification.

I suspect that even if I had the finances to indulge I'd still wonder what the point was. Nevertheless, I hope others continue to make their purchases: just think of all the tax revenue...

Edited by kerbed enthusiasm on 02/02/2014 at 14:17

Which Executive Estate? - coopshere
"Big six cylinder engines with all the toys sitting in large cars, larger than strictly necessary for the type of driving the car is used for."

That would be the minimum specification to qualify.

"I suspect that even if I had the finances to indulge I'd still wonder what the point was. Nevertheless, I hope others continue to make their purchases: just think of all the tax revenue..."

My feelings exactly as I sit smugly along side in my plebeian estate of at least equal size and quality but of more modest cost to purchase and maintain ;)

Thanks for your comments. I actually currently drive a Mondeo 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium Estate which has lots of toys but was thinking of going more upmarket. Whilst the insurance is cheap, I'm still paying nearly £300 for an annual service at a Ford dealer.

Whilst I bought it at a discount the depreciation has been rather savage, something that should not apply to an Audi or a BMW.

The Audi base spec (which most seem to be) is not that great and it needs a cam belt change, but the interior quality is fantastic.

Which Executive Estate? - pd

Assuming the 520d is the E60 and the newer 525d the F10 I'd be tempted by the F10 despite the higher mileage.

There is no 525i of this model generation as some have suggested - the choice is a 2.0 litre turbo 528i or the 530i (and the 530i has the older 6-speed gearbox IIRC).

Any used car can suffer a big bill - if you can't accept that buy new.

Don't fall for the idea that a BMW or Audi will not depreciate - they're sold in massive numbers so the supply is very high on the used market and they do depreciate.

Both BMWs are the lastest F10 version. The 520d is a manual (auto probably more desirable), whereas the 525d is an auto M sport, so ride will be firm as would the Audi.

Not seen any adverse reports about reliability either.

Which Executive Estate? - Bladerrw

How much is the Audi?

I got a sizable discount on my 2.0L 2013 A6 Avant via an internet dealer. There are still 2012s being offered at more than I paid new (£26k). Maybe look at buying new.

It's a really lovely car to drive with loads of standard features.