Ford 1.0L Ecoboost Engines - Simon

One of my relatives has test driven a new Ford C-Max Grand fitted with the 'new' 1.0L Ecoboost engine thing. I don't know much about them, but are they really up to the job of lugging a 7 seater around? I can't say that I have heard any bad reports about them but are they built to last? Any thoughts or experiences?

Ford 1.0L Ecoboost Engines - 72 dudes

Smooth, quiet and pull well in the Fiesta and Focus. C-Max Grand? Should be OK. At one point Ford were supposed to be putting this engine in the Mondeo.

Longevity? Not yet proven

Economy - forget it. What Car? magazine ran a Fiesta and Focus with this engine. Neither managed to get over 37 MPG average over 12 months.

Ford 1.0L Ecoboost Engines - madf

More expensive to buy and worse economy.

Seems that car testers as usual omit to tell the truth...

Ford 1.0L Ecoboost Engines - cockle {P}

As dudes says, it's perfectly OK in the Focus and Ford are still planning on putting them in the Mondeo, well, my local dealer tells me he is expecting to have them for sale at some point in 2014.

I have one and I am getting better consumption figures than either of my last two 1.6 Focus's, (Foci?), I'm averaging just under 40mpg over 3500 miles, mostly urban but probably about 800 miles motorway. On the motorway the sixth gear comes into it's own and computer shows around 50mpg when cruising at 70mph.

Performance is on a par with my last Focus, if not better, the one before last felt distinctly underpowered.

The gear to engine rev/torque ratios took a little bit of getting used to; the 'sweet' rev bands are in different areas to my last two Focus's and my 2.0 Mondeo more akin to my diesel Corsa van.

Until April zero VED so a straight saving there over the last Focus.

As said, I've had mine since September, longevity and reliability is yet to be proved but the engines have been around in the smaller cars for longer with, seemingly, little issue and the engines have won best engine awards for the last two years running which, I believe, is pretty unusual.

So far I'm quite impressed with mine, but time will tell.

Edited by cockle {P} on 28/12/2013 at 18:07

Ford 1.0L Ecoboost Engines - Collos25

A local courier firm had a couple of cars to test they have done over 200km now with absolutely no problems so they say.