What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta MKVI 1.4 Style (2005) - Ford Fiesta clutch/gearbox issues - dancroft

Hi all, hoping someone can help me here.

I bought a nice little Ford Fiesta about 4 months ago, and it has recently started to develop possible clutch or gearbox issues within the last few days. I've read a bit into it and it sounds like it could be a common problem, but I just want to make sure. The car is a 1.4 petrol, and has only done 88,000 miles

There are no problems starting the car. However, when stationary it is very difficult - and sometimes impossible - to engage 1st or reverse. Then when I do finally get it into gear, the whole car judders like it's about to stall - almost as if the clutch isn't quite at the biting point. Then when the car is moving, it judders at low speed. It is then very hard to get it into gear, particularly 2nd and 3rd (which actually crunches half the time) - 4th and 5th don't seem to be much of a problem. Occasionally, after I've changed gear and accelerate (with my foot completely off the clutch), the car either revs quite high, or stays at the same rpm as when I changed gear - as if I still have the clutch pedal depressed.

What is happening here? I'm told it is almost certainly the clutch, but I want to be 110% sure. Because the car was bought from a finance company, I'm hoping it'll be something that is covered under warranty. Either way, I don't feel confident driving it as I fear I could make the problem worse.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Ford Fiesta MKVI 1.4 Style (2005) - Ford Fiesta clutch/gearbox issues - Singlish

Almost definitely a clutch problem.

On these Fiestas it is a hydraulic clutch, make sure that the cluch is replaced using quality parts and that the thrust bearing which is integral with the slave hydraulic cylinder is replaced at the same time.

Hope this Helps

Andrew