What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.4 - Getting into gear - mitchy8

I have problems getting into gear first thing in a morning, but after 2 or 3 minutes of driving this is no longer a problem, any advice?

Ford Focus 1.4 - Getting into gear - Peter D

Does it go into gear OK with the engine off. Regards Peter

Yes it does

This could be a clutch/adjustment problem. I dragging clutch causes the input shaft to rotate and prevent you from engaging a gear. Where is the clutch bite point. Regards Peter

From memory the 1.4 has a cable operated clutch. engine off press the clutch right down and let your foot slip of the pedal so it rises very quickly. If the adjuster is stuck it should release it. Regards Peter

It is hydraulic i have just checked the manual

Ford Focus 1.4 - Getting into gear - gordonbennet

It is hydraulic i have just checked the manual

First thing to do is to bleed the system out, 5 mins easy DIY if you can get to the slave cyl.

If you didn't know it was hydraulic then you wouldn't have checked the fluid level, might well have got low and air entered the system.

Gordon, should I check the fluid level then?

Gordon, should I check the fluid level then?

If its a hydraulic system then it will have reservior (have seen shared reserviors but haven't a clue about Focus, strongly doubt it), lift the bonnet and have poke nose, you should note the level when you lift the bonnet and cast your eyes about every time you check the oil level just as you would glance at the brake fluid level, reservoir should be transluscent and if you take the cap off the colour and consistency of the fluid might well give you a clue as to its condition.

Even if the level is kept high these systems can feel spongy after a long time and replacing the fluid is always worth doing periodically just as with brakes.

If you bleed the system through, exactly the same method as two man brake bleeding, and then top up again, that should have eliminated the hydraulics and for the sake of 5 minutes would be the first thing i would do.

Personally i wear a latex or marigold glove (ooer missus) and after loosening the slave cylinder bleed nipple hold my finger lightly over the end using it as a valve whilst an assistant pumps the clutch pedal steadily half a dozen times, chances are you'll hear any air present squirting out, retighten on a final down stroke, job done, chuck a bucket of hot water over the slave and anywhere that brake fluid might have spilt, its an effective paint stripper...if you can get a dish under to catch spillage and use a thin hose connected to bleed nipple then all the better, in practice always found slaves to be in dashed awkward spots so let it splash and wash off after.

It depends on the year. Look under the bonnet. Regards Peter

I have looked and the fluid level is fine, but its black??? Also the clutch pedal is a lot lower than the break pedal

I have looked and the fluid level is fine, but its black??? Also the clutch pedal is a lot lower than the break pedal

Fluid shouldn't be that colour, and i suspect the seals are dissolving hence the colour.

Try syphoning or sponging out the black muck first, put fresh fluid in and bleed it through, but hold fire till you have enough time to buy a new master or slave cylinder should bleeding prove fruitless, if the seals really are on their last legs bleeding might just finish them off and you might end up with no clutch movement at all till you can replace cylinder(s).

I have feeling you'll end up with at least one of the cylinders renewed, we would of course at one time simply fit a new seal kit into the master and slave if the bores were still good, but i don't have clue if you can still get the kits, and repairing things rather than throwing new parts at them seems to be frowned on these days.:-)

Did you look at the gearbox. Does it have a cable attached to the actuator arm or a hydraulic slave cynyinder. Regards Peter

I am going to take it to my local garage at some point this week, do you think it will end up being a clutch replacement job?

Ford Focus 1.4 - Getting into gear - jc2

If it's cable,it's a relatively simple job;if it's hydraulic,it's a gearbox off job and if it's a problem with the clutch or the release bearing it's gearbox off.

Edited by jc2 on 16/07/2013 at 16:43

If it's cable,it's a relatively simple job;if it's hydraulic,it's a gearbox off job and if it's a problem with the clutch or the release bearing it's gearbox off.

jc2, are you telling us that the slave cyl is inside the bellhousing, including its bleed valve?

Its hydraulic fellas.............

Its hydraulic fellas.............

Good to hear that Mitchy but i'm a bit concerned about jc2 post, i'm wondering if he's telling us that the slave cyl might actually be situated inside the bell housing, only a lunatic could do that at design stage but more stupid things have been known, somehow i think even if it is that the bleed valve will be outside, if its not or the slave itself is faulty and its inside then it could be a nasty job.

You'll have to stuff you head down into the depths and have a poke nose about.

Gordon thanks for all your input......unfortunately I am not very good when it comes to cars, so I will have to put my trust in a mechanic

Ford Focus 1.4 - Getting into gear - jc2

IIRC the slave cylinder IS inside the bell housing with an external bleed screw!

Ford Focus 1.4 - Getting into gear - TeeCee

Possibly that Borg & Beck design where the slave cylinder is integrated with the release bearing (like a sort of telescopic doughnut). Plus side, self adjusts and there's no actuator fork / linkage gubbins. Minus side, a b*tch to replace.....