What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - 1.4 tdci noise when accelerating - fordfanindia

In my 2011 Ford fiesta 1.4 tdci, there is a metal grazing sound from the engine bay.
The sound occurs only when pressing the accelerator pedal from idle. It goes off later. So typically 750(idle) to 1000 rpm only.

This is not when the engine is cold; only when the engine has warmed up to operating temperatures.

I am suspecting the idler pulley or the tensioner bearing. Are they prone to premature failure in 1.4 tdci(25k km; oct 2011 model)?

This occurs both when engine is idling in neutral or when moving in gear.

Ford Fiesta - 1.4 tdci noise when accelerating - injection doc

it should be under warranty so let the dealer fix.

they do suffer with a resonance from the clutch hydraulic pipe againt the bulk head, causing a vibration at low RPM.

very difficult to expalin unless you are familiar with the pipe layout

Ford Fiesta - 1.4 tdci noise when accelerating - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

The thing in favour of the Fiesta 1.4 Tdci is that the van variant of it is used by many fleets and so any problems were sorted out many years ago. However, the Mk 7 design introduced a number of changes which can cause problems (large back bumper - expensive to replace, small back window, difficulty reversing into tight spaces), and I've never seen a van based on the Mk 7! Perhaps Ford have shot themselves in the foot with this update.. Like this year's update to the Transit Connect van, which, after two years of looking like a smart working van, now looks like a 1950s ice-cream van.

But the PSA engine is, I've found, quite a reliable and easily maintained unit. I had the cam belt changed at 100K miles and then 20K miles later, the the crankshaft damper pulley gave up on me, in Southport, but it still got me home to Ramsbottom! The oil change can be done by a mechanic with a metric tool set or an 'old' Imperial tool set - the oil filter housing can be removed with a 27mm socket or a 1 1/16" socket. The drain plug comes out with a spark-plug socket, which any mechanic will have. At 175k miles, I'm having a problem with the clutch and it's booked in for a new one.

I've not heard of any 'common' problems with this engine and gearbox unit, but the problem which you describe could probably be caused by the clutch release bearing, but look at Injection Doc's recommendation to look for vibrating pipes etc.

Ford Fiesta - 1.4 tdci noise when accelerating - fordfanindia

It is the water pump. Thanks for all the replies!