What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda- is the Accord really dead? - concrete

In HJ's column on Saturday it was mentioned that Honda is considering pulling the Accord from their range due to lack of sales. If so this would be a pity. From 1986 to 1992 I had three Accords in a row, as company cars. The first was the original 1.8, then a 2.0 12 valve then a 2.0i 16 valve, they were C , E and H registered plates and all petrol. Each one an improvement on the previous model and all a real pleasure to drive with trouble free high mileage motoring. I actually bought the H reg and my wife ran it until 2006 when we gave it away; it could still be running! Then our company went exclusively to diesel and Honda were out of the frame for a long time. By the time they developed a decent diesel engine, the cars were very expensive and the fleet buyers were not keen. I think this may point to the possible demise of the Accord, the price. They do seem rather expensive for what they are. Would it not be sensible for Honda to simply reduced the price and probably sell more? Comments please. Regards Concrete

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - Collos25

It was officially announced by Honda last year and discussed on this site at the time.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - corax

If they'd kept the Accord as a large hatchback and made an estate that looked nicer than the 7th gen 'poked with an ugly stick' look (let's face it, most people would sacrifice a bit of practicality for looks), they might have had more sales.

It's a shame because there is a lot to like about the Accord (seats, engines, chassis) but no one wants a saloon where the opening for the boot is like a letterbox - not for that class of car anyway. And it was pricy. They should have kept it cheap instead of trying to compete with the class above.

I've looked at a few for sale and they are expensive used compared to the competition.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - munroman

Bought a new 2,4 petrol estate in 2003. Brilliant car - seats, engine, gearbox, space. The build quality as well. Every journey was a pleasure until it met it's demise two years ago, it got written off by a cyclist when the car was stationary.

So went to look at the current estate model. Seats still excellent, as was the engine and gearbox but the interior - oh dear oh dear! I once heard it described as being designed for the X-Box generation. And the size of the boot compared to the previous model was ridiculously small. And yet the price had ramped up out of all proportion to the car's capabilities. So I bought a V70 and a cardigan instead. Sorry Honda - you concentrated too much on a market that wasn't ever going to be yours (3 series/A4/C class) - lifestyle estate. Reliable, low-key, spacious load lugger at Mondeo price levels should have been your market. And no, the CR-V will not fill the gap - on a long journey there is no comparison between a 4x4 barge and a long, low estate.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - Andy P

Ran a 2.4 Typs-S for 5 years and it was one of the best cars I've had - totally reliable, comfortable and handled very well when you wanted a bit of fun. I was hoping the 2009 model would look something like this:

http://www.mobilemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/image_23460_superimage.jpg

but unsurprisingly it didn't - it looked just like the old one with a few nips and tucks, and it was too expensive (and there was no diesel auto) so I lost interest.

To me it's priced out of it's league. It should be upper Mondeo, not BMW/Mercedes.

That must be a first a bicycle writting a car off.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - munroman

Cyclist coming down hill - inappropriate speed, lost control on a bend, front wheel hit front bumper of Accord, cyclist catapulted over bonnet, head butted the windscreen, pulled the roof out of alignment - hence write-off. Cyclist was OK after being patched up in outpatients (helmet probably saved his life) but he then had the nerve to claim against my insurance. Fortunately independent witnesses put a stop to that. (Sorry about the thread creep!)

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - gordonbennet

Previously Accord and Civic were quietly handsome cars, quiet refined competent reliable and durable, including the sporty and competent S types.

Quite what possessed Honda to turn these previously smart cars into the ugly contraptions they are now i shall never know, they did much the same with CRV, they didn't need to compete with Mazda to see who could have the most aggessive wheelarches, Honda buyers couldn't give a stuff about fashion of the day rubbish.

They had a reliable mature regular clientele of car buyers loyal to the brand, for some reason we may never fathom they threw those buyers away by making cars for the new fickle fashion generation, here today gone tomorrow, and in the process lost a steady stream of well cared for main dealer serviced carefully driven used trade ins from those same buyers to boot.

wicked innit

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - daveyK_UK

I agree with OP about the Accord price,

it is too high with little discount available.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - Alby Back

I've always thought I'd possibly buy a Honda one day. An Accord diesel estate funnily enough. Never did though and likely probably won't now.

Can't really say why, good cars no doubt but somehow they neither hit the top of the "want" scale nor got far enough along the "need" axis either.

A bit like Marks and Spencers trousers I suppose. Can't knock them but I've never felt quite ready to buy them.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - corax

A bit like Marks and Spencers trousers I suppose. Can't knock them but I've never felt quite ready to buy them.

You'll feel differently when you're/if you retire/d :)

Edited by corax on 08/04/2013 at 22:59

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - jamie745

Those plain cotton trousers with the stretchy waistband? I have some. Oh yes.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - Avant

Absolutely right, GB. They seemed to forget that it's mostly the over-50s who have the money to buy cars privately. And rhe new models still don't appeal to the younger generation.

The Jazz still sells well, but again to those of what the Prayer Book so charmingly calls 'riper years'. I suppose it's the look of it that gives it the Bunty-doing-the-church-flowers image.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - gordonbennet

Avant i reckon the latest Jazz is the nicest looking Honda currently made, and by all accounts an excellent car.

In my previous job i used to know an ex Honda main dealer sales manager, he was as bemused as i was at the introduction of the stiff as a board creaking hard riding new look Civic around 2006, at the time ghe told me the policy was to tempt the younger market, he saw it as folly then and changed makes.

Its such a blinkin shame.

Just out of interest my daughter has recently bought another 04 Civic 2.0S, locally owned one owner 80k miles full Honda history...her previous one was up to 140k miles of which she'd added 60k in just over two years of merciless unending thrashing (probably gets it off her mother), it never missed a beat and only required servicing and several sets of front pads..;)

IMO that particular model is one of the very best medium cars every designed, should have left that car alone Honda and just revised a basically sound car.

SWMBO had a Jazz in 2002, one of the first, and then a Civic 2.0S just like your daughter's, GB. Both did an excellent job, and I much regret not taking it on and putting some miles on it (instead of buying a Mercedes B-class) when she decided it was too big and went for her first Mini.

That model of Civic was a great car if you wanted something bigger than a supermini but smaller than Mondeo-size. It had lots of rear legroom and the 2.0 S had a great turnj of speed. And I loved the dash-mounted gearchange The only irritation I can remember was an awful turning circle, probably the result of fatter tyres than were fittted to the basic model.

Agreed - such a shame that Honda seem to have lost their way: not least because if the men in suits don't get a grip soon, British jobs in Swindon will be at risk.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - Bobbin Threadbare

It got too big for its boots - direct competitor of the Toyota Avensis rather than the Audi A4. You see a lot of Avenses about. I actually like the Accord's latest styling - not many people do. I still would buy another Mazda 6 over it though if I was in the market for a car that size again, as the Accord is too pricey.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - balleballe

I prefer the styling of the mazda 6 to the Accord, but I agree about the accord being a good looking car.

Driving both you see where the extra money is spent though....

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - TeeCee

>> they are expensive used compared to the competition.

A high secondhand price says one of two things about a vehicle. Either it has the "right" badge on it, so idiots will pay more than it's worth to get that badge, or it's known to be something that will provide reliable service for years.

I reckon the Accord is in the second category as expensive badges appear to be a uniquely german thing.

I think Honda are trying hard to up their game from being like toyota to being like lexus

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - xtrailman

The original Accord was a 1.6 petrol of around 85bhp, not 1.8.

I bought one of the first into the country at 10months old it was from a private dealer for his own use.

A fabulous looking car in dark metallic red, with a sand coloured velour trim.

It was 10 years in front of the Mk4 Cortina that i px for it.

Unfortunatly the body and chassis was rusting from day one, at 18 months old it was showing coming through the top of the wing.

So i got shut quick.

Always tried to buy another, but Honda never would produce another that i desired, they just got bigger and more expensive.

Same the the CRV, why Honda makes such ugly cars i don't know.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - daveyjp
The Jazz market seems to have been taken over by Kia and Hyundai in our part of the world. I see oldies in Vengas and ix20s every day.

My dad has a Jazz, I don't like it due to a very harsh ride.
Honda- is the Accord really dead? - concrete

The original Accord was a 1.6 petrol of around 85bhp, not 1.8.

I bought one of the first into the country at 10months old it was from a private dealer for his own use.

A fabulous looking car in dark metallic red, with a sand coloured velour trim.

It was 10 years in front of the Mk4 Cortina that i px for it.

Unfortunatly the body and chassis was rusting from day one, at 18 months old it was showing coming through the top of the wing.

So i got shut quick.

Always tried to buy another, but Honda never would produce another that i desired, they just got bigger and more expensive.

Same the the CRV, why Honda makes such ugly cars i don't know.

Hello xtrailman, my first Accord was definitely a 1.8 12 valve fuel injected engine. It was a 'C' reg i.e C185THN. It was pale green metalic, with cruise control, air con, sunroof and all sorts of other goodies. In 1985 there were no Honda main dealers only local agents. My local agent dealt in Reliant Scimitars and 3 wheelers and Citroen and had only one car from Honda, which was this Accord my company bought for me. It was marvellous and as you say, years ahead of anything on offer for the common or garden motorist. I then had 2 more as the model changed and it did get bigger and by then Honda had a main dealer network and a reputation to die for. Then the big diesel switchover came in 1994 and I was never able to get another Honda as a company car. Pity. I now run my own car and claim the mileage, much better off for me. However being in charge of the budget makes you think, and in theory I could run any car I chose, but cost is a factor. Honda got too expensive and priced people like me out of their particular market. Such a shame. I still think if the 'suits' in marketing put their minds to it they could produce another Accord that would sell well. lets hope. Cheers Concrete

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - Auristocrat

The Accord is suffering in the same way as other Japanese-made cars - the exchange rate makes them expensive. Toyota don't have the same issue with the Avensis as the centre for Avensis production is Burnaston.

It is indeed a shame. Japanese made cars are always the most reliable.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - xtrailman

So why is the CRV so expensive?

At the moment, partly due to the strength of the yen against the £. But the bigger Hondas (e.g. Accord, CRV) have always been expensive for what they are. I've never been convinced that a Honda can do anything that the equivalent Toyota can't.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - Gotanoldhondar

I have the current Accord its the DTEC saloon auto on a 58 plate just turned 63k with no problems to speak of so far.I bought it as a family car and for work mileage very comfy seats,sat nav,reverse camera etc.

On paper it is a very good choice for the rational minded,but in the UK people are consumed by image that is the problem for Honda especially with the Accord.

"....but in the UK people are consumed by image...."

True to an extent, but for the price charged for a new Accord you can have the same size of Audi, BMW or Mercedes - not only do you get a more upmarket image, should you wish it, but more importantly you get a car that will hold its value better.

The nearest European equivalent to the Accord in terms of image / perception is probably the VW Passat - which is several £'000 cheaper.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - Gotanoldhondar

I am not sure you could get a 3 series auto diesel with the spec on my Accord for the same price, the car maybe but not the equipment level.

Also you have to take in to account cheaper servicing,consumables and insurance in favour for the Honda along with reliability for the private owner.

Fair point on the Passat but for me it does not compare as 4/5 year ownership prospect.

I like some Audis and Bmw's and have owned a couple before but the costs...

You are far better with the Accord your summary is very correct and as far as Passats are concerned I doubt if they are thousands cheaper for the equivalent spec and they are certainly not in the same build class.

Honda- is the Accord really dead? - Andy P

Only problem is the Accord will depreciate more compared to a BMW.

I very much doubt it the Accord holds its value in the first three years some percentage points better then the BMW 5 series across the board petrol and diesel in fact the depreciation on big BMWs in a year would buy an Accord.