What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - craig-pd130

Just seen a Saab 9-3X TTiD4 on the road, the jacked-up 4wd version of the 9-3 estate. According to the How Many Left website, only 9 of this particular variant were ever registered in the UK.

Have you seen any rare models from relatively mainstream makers recently?

Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - daveyjp

Mercedes S class V12 bi turbo.

Also saw my first Genesis GV70 this morning.

Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - JonestHon

Saw today a very well cared for Mazda Xedos 9, a rare beauty nowadays.

Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - Adampr

I used to have one (the supercharged Miller). I miss it.

Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - SLO76

Always liked the Mazda Xedos range. Only ever drove one, a Xedos 6 2.0 SE and despite the interesting styling it was a bit soggy to drive. Comfortable and superb engine though. Rust killed them off sadly. The 626 from the same era was really the better car, especially the 2.5 V6 GT.
Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - John F

Have you seen any rare models from relatively mainstream makers recently?

Most days at home I see an Audi W12 sport quattro (only around 60 left in the UK).

This morning I saw an old Mercury Milan in Riverside CA (Ford is still possibly a relatively mainstream maker... ;-)

Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - craig-pd130

Most days at home I see an Audi W12 sport quattro (only around 60 left in the UK).

Do you mean 60 of the A8 W12 quattros remaining in the UK? That surprises me, I don't see very many A8s at all, and the ones I do see are either the V6 petrol or diesel!

Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - badbusdriver

Do you mean 60 of the A8 W12 quattros remaining in the UK? That surprises me, I don't see very many A8s at all, and the ones I do see are either the V6 petrol or diesel!

Difficult to distinguish an A8 from an A6 at a glance though, and I believe badge delete would have been an option. Though whether or not the type of person who bought a W12 (new) would want to go incognito is another matter ;-)

Either way, the A8 W12 must be common as muck next to a VW Phaeton W12!. Did they sell any in the UK?

Edited by badbusdriver on 23/09/2023 at 15:00

Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - Falkirk Bairn

Lexus 460 4x4 - only 1 ever reg in the UK

It was for sale on Autotrader a few years back.

Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - John F

I mean 60 UK RHD D3 A8 W12 sport quattros. They were completely ignored by the UK motoring press. Only about 1400 W12 sport quattros were made, obviously mostly LHD, for around a year, circa 2004, presumably as a sort of stop-gap between the D2 S8 (V8 - of 'Ronin' fame) and D3 S8 (V10 - same power as W12 but less of the effortless torque). None were sold in the USA. There are far more of its more popular long wheelbase limousine cousin, the A8L W12, which was made for many years until 2018 when the W12 option was discontinued. That is obviously heavier, has a softer higher suspension and the ZF6HP-26 box doesn't have the 'sporty' gear ratios of its more nimble cousin- a very different animal.

Saab 9-3 X - Rare models from mainstream manufacturers - badbusdriver

Only about 1400 W12 sport quattros were made, obviously mostly LHD, for around a year, circa 2004, presumably as a sort of stop-gap between the D2 S8 (V8 - of 'Ronin' fame) and D3 S8 (V10 - same power as W12 but less of the effortless torque).

The D3 W12 has 7.5% more torque than the V10 (580 vs 540nm). Can't imagine there being a noticeable difference, especially since peak torque on the latter happens 500rpm lower(!).