Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - mickyh7

Just looking at the Online Handbook/Manual.

601 pages!

That's just bonkers, how the heck are we supposed to remember half of that?

I remember Capri's and Cortina manuals, how to turn the lights on and where the spare was stowed!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - alan1302

Most of it you wont need to remember as you will already know it - it's just being comprehensive.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - Ian_SW

Only 602 pages - I've got a total of 676 pages to read!

Much of it is safety warnings though of which many are completely obvious - I think I could manage without the following gems of knowledge being included:

"Do not drive the vehicle if you are unfamiliar with the location of the brake and accelerator pedals"

"Do not carry cargo or luggage at the feet of the driver"

"The driver is solely responsible for safe driving. Always drive safely"

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - movilogo

Typical manuals are 500-600 pages. More if you include infotainment section. Usually cars now have separate infotainment manual.

They tend to be long because they contain lot of warnings/legal stuff and explain features which may not exist in your specific car.

I usually flip thru pages once after buying the car (PDF version) and then highlight important pages. In future I'm likely to read only those pages if necessary.

There are usually YouTube videos of how something works in a specific car - sometimes from manufacturers themselves.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - Terry W

Cars should not need a manual in 2023.

At most it requires a couple of pages of safety type stuff and legalese, a summary of model specific capabilities installed, and to be delivered with all safety systems enabled (eg: lane departure, cameras, blind spot sensors etc).

Speech recognition and a bit of AI means a simple conversation with the car should suffice to understand how to operate any function, or just tell it what to do. A screen would allow the owner to be presented with pictures and videos to help with any enquiry.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - Andrew-T

Speech recognition and a bit of AI means a simple conversation with the car should suffice to understand how to operate any function, or just tell it what to do. A screen would allow the owner to be presented with pictures and videos to help with any enquiry.

Sounds as if you have an optimistic faith in software designers, and in the operators of the vehicles ...

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - bathtub tom

Cars should not need a manual in 2023.

I know someone who can't operate a push bike. Fifteen gears and they only ever use one!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - gordonbennet

Find the weasel words around things like AEBS, gives you an inkling about what all the guff is really about.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - alan1302

Find the weasel words around things like AEBS, gives you an inkling about what all the guff is really about.

It's about controlling you isn't it?

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - Brit_in_Germany

The first 400 will be safety warnings which are not meant to be read.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - madf

Car makers should produce a quick guide..No more than 15 pages which tells you everything to drive the car.

If it is not intuitive, run away.. Some EV screen system (eg VW) were obviously deigned by people who had never thought about car usage in real life.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - Terry W

I suspect car buyers can be segmented in much the same way as buyers of smartphones and other IT.

Some believe that to obtain maximum satisfaction from their purchase they need to fine tune and optimise every function. They read manuals avidly and get upset when they find their purchase does not include functionality available on the next model up.

Others just want the basics covered. They want to use their purchase straight out of the box. Functionality should be intuitive and deliver what was promised. Cars - comfort, carrying capacity, performance, economy etc. Smartphones - phone, internet, emails, camera with no need to download extra apps.

Rolls Royce used to have this approach - eg: we have tuned the in car entertainment to make it the best it can be. We have one button to switch it on and off. No graphic equaliser, balance and tone controls etc

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Will I ever remember? - mickyh7

I just want to turn off the things that Brake for me, steer for me and tell me when I need a rest.

The problem is, if I touch or knock any wheels, buttons or touch pads, I want to know how to correct what they will be doing, before I am on a long journey, at speed.

I appreciate I'll suss it all out in time, but.....

Knowledge is King- as they say!