What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Auto - Corsa 2023 - barney100

Given a 2023 Cross whilst mine is in and can't figure out how to turn the stop start off...any one know?

Auto - Corsa 2023 - badbusdriver

Just looked at the pics of a used current shape Corsa on Autotrader, the button for stop start is the one on the left of the row in front of the gearlever. It has a large letter "A" with a circle round it.

Thanks, that did it!
Auto - Corsa 2023 - mcb100
I’m honestly not being in any way confrontational, but why do people turn off stop/start systems?
I’m honestly not being in any way confrontational, but why do people turn off stop/start systems?

I think some people just have an inbuilt mistrust of modern tech!. Early stop start systems could be pretty slow to react, but I'd have thought a new car would be fine?

Lane keeping assist though, as someone who often drives on rural roads, I can certainly understand wanting to turn that off as it is a liability!.

Auto - Corsa 2023 - RT

Stop/start on my VW Touareg is too enthusiastic - it cuts the engine as I slow down, just before I come to a stop - having been caught out a couple of times when I wanted to accelerate away instead of stop I've changed the default to off - I do switch it back on when queuing in traffic but otherwise it stays off.

To answer your question directly - I don't need to be nannied, I'm perfectly capably of deciding when to turn the engine off to reduce emissions.

This stop start is coming on immediately you stop and in stop start traffic it is very distracting. Ok if you are at a standstill for a length of time then you simply switch off yourself but every yard or two is excessive to me.

Sounds like it is doing exactly what it is supposed to. As long as the engine fires back up as soon as your foot comes off the brake pedal, I don't see why that would be a problem. Also not sure why it would be a distraction (unless it has a very loud engine like my Caddy van)?

Auto - Corsa 2023 - alan1302

If it's like the start/stop on the Combo Life it's in the settings screen on the main dashboard display.

I've never had an issue with it though and keep it turned on...I'm one of the people that find it odd that people want to tur it off...this is in a manual car though so if you don't want it to kick in then you just keep your foot on the clutch.

Auto - Corsa 2023 - sammy1

My MINI is an Auto and the stop/start works fine but it goes off as soon as we start I do not see the need for it, the fuel saving is minimal. Again another unnecessary and costly feature imposed on the buyer. There is then the more costly battery and the hassle that some get with the system usually in cold weather. Another potential garage job avoided as far as I am concerned..

the fuel saving is minimal.

What is the fuel saving?

Ok on the odd occasion but when you are in a stop start queue for a while with it going on off all the time it’s pointless.
Ok on the odd occasion but when you are in a stop start queue for a while with it going on off all the time it’s pointless.

In what way though - it stops pollutants out of the back of the car and saves some fuel. Does it actually affect how the car drives?

Auto - Corsa 2023 - Andrew-T

<< To answer your question directly - I don't need to be nannied, I'm perfectly capably of deciding when to turn the engine off to reduce emissions. >>

Quite so, and I have been doing it since well before stop-start came along, for instance at temporary lights and occasionally permanent ones too, if I know they take a while to change.

Presumably it is yet another device to shave 0.01% off a car's emission figures ? (I'm not even sure it does that, as the act of starting takes power from the battery which has to be replaced)

Auto - Corsa 2023 - catsdad

It’s not just about saving fuel. It’s also to stop our stationary exhaust fumes being breathed in by adjacent pedestrians, cyclists and motorists. How effectively I don’t know.

I have now had it in two cars, the Civic and the Golf. In the Civic I often used to turn it off as there was something about it that felt mechanically unsympathetic at restart. It never worked from around October to March anyway. In the Golf it’s completely unobtrusive and works all year round and works very well with the (previously dreaded) EPB. It just feels right and I generally leave it switched on. I am aware of the possibility of repair costs if anything major goes wrong but I am hopeful that VAG, with their long experience of both, have cracked it. For once.

In cars without stop start I use my judgement to switch off or not. I have read that this is more of an issue for these cars as the batteries and associated electrics are not designed for this. No idea if that’s true but it doesn’t feel particularly mechanically sympathetic.

Auto - Corsa 2023 - _

On the ssangyong if I have the ventilation fan on stop start disables itself.

It’s not just about saving fuel. It’s also to stop our stationary exhaust fumes being breathed in by adjacent pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.

Well that's the thing isn't it, lots of short periods with the engine off add up a long period with the engine off. Multiply that by all the ICE cars on the road (with stop start) and that is going to make a worthwhile difference to air pollution. Unless of course the system has been switched off :-(

Auto - Corsa 2023 - Metropolis.
I do not turn my engine off until I exit the vehicle, i am not convinced that these stop start systems have got around the associated increase in engine wear that comes from switching on and off.

At most, I will put the car in park or neutral.

Thankfully the engine is very smooth so hardly noticeable.

Stop start is a gimmick!
I’d love to see your workings on the gimmick statement.

So far as I can see - engine running, fuel being burnt, results of combustion inefficiencies come out the back as a cocktail of carcinogenic and greenhouse gases.
Engine not running, nothing being burnt and nothing coming out the back.

As far as I’m aware, it’s that simple.
I’d love to see your workings on the gimmick statement. So far as I can see - engine running, fuel being burnt, results of combustion inefficiencies come out the back as a cocktail of carcinogenic and greenhouse gases. Engine not running, nothing being burnt and nothing coming out the back. As far as I’m aware, it’s that simple.

I cannot argue with this. Yes we are all on a guilt trip by the green brigade including you when you drive your ICE perhaps Seriously it is all getting out of hand I am has concerned as most about emissions and how we threat the planet in general but a lot of common sense is called for from everyone

If you’re that concerned, why do you switch off your stop/start?
Auto - Corsa 2023 - Lee Power

If its like the previous Stellantis stop / start system I've experienced, as soon as the 12 volt battery health drops slightly the stop / start system will automatically switch itself off.

My previous 308 T9 ( when the system was actually functional ) as I rolled up to my garage door I would unbuckle the seatbelt so the system didn't stop the engine - if I didn't the engine would have stopped but as soon as you opened the drivers door to get out to open the garage door the engine would have restarted again.

If you’re that concerned, why do you switch off your stop/start?

I explained above and I don't trust them. As I said it i an auto which should not stall. It stalled once on the wife soon after we had it whether this was due to a signal interference I will never know, it recorded nothing in the cars memory. We will decide when to turn the engine off. I dislike being a passenger in cars with the system it is just plain annoying. You seem concerned why do you still drive your ICE? Needs must I suppose like millions of others!

I’m very fortunate to be paid to talk about/present/train on all manner of cars, so for me to spend any money on my own car doesn’t appeal. It spends weeks and months parked up. I’ve not spent more than £3000 on one since 1996….
How do I square this from an environmental perspective? Well, my current Megane 1.6dci will do c60mpg, so a smaller quantity of fossil fuel than an equivalent petrol. And lower co2 emissions than a comparable petrol.
And I won’t sell it on once it reaches the end of its life - it’ll go the way of the last few of my cars and head off for recycling. So when I replace it, with any luck I won’t end up putting another car on the road.
Auto - Corsa 2023 - Adampr

I also have a bit of a strange relationship with Stop Start. I hate it in manual cars. No problem at all in autos.

I think it might be some thing hard-wired into my brain from learning to drive and going through the whole routine of re-starting following a stall.

Auto - Corsa 2023 - Terry W

I dislike stop start - it adds time and uncertainty accelerating into traffic at roundabouts etc, occasionally jerks when stopping or starting. Aircon stops working.

An idling engine uses between 0.5-2.9 litres of fuel an hour depending on engine size and efficiency. Journeys where I have simply left start stop on shows up on the trip computer as (usually) no more than a minute or two saved.

If stop/start were to generate running time savings of a few hours a year saving (say) 10 litres the financial benefit would be ~£15.

The extra stresses on starter motors from repeated starting, higher spec batteries, and greater complexity probably make fuel savings illusory.

I dislike stop start - it adds time and uncertainty accelerating into traffic at roundabouts etc, occasionally jerks when stopping or starting. Aircon stops working.

An idling engine uses between 0.5-2.9 litres of fuel an hour depending on engine size and efficiency. Journeys where I have simply left start stop on shows up on the trip computer as (usually) no more than a minute or two saved.

If stop/start were to generate running time savings of a few hours a year saving (say) 10 litres the financial benefit would be ~£15.

The extra stresses on starter motors from repeated starting, higher spec batteries, and greater complexity probably make fuel savings illusory.

There are 33 million cars in the UK, if all of those saved 10 litres of fuel a year that is a huge amount of saving both from a financial point of view as well as from the emissions. Think it shows how little things can have large effects.

I do not turn my engine off until I exit the vehicle, i am not convinced that these stop start systems have got around the associated increase in engine wear that comes from switching on and off. At most, I will put the car in park or neutral. Thankfully the engine is very smooth so hardly noticeable. Stop start is a gimmick!

What amount of extra wear is there? Having the car off will not increase wear at all obviously - so how much does staring the car cause? Where is the cut off point between when it causes less wear to turn the car off and turn it back on compared to leaving it running?

I do not turn my engine off until I exit the vehicle, i am not convinced that these stop start systems have got around the associated increase in engine wear that comes from switching on and off. At most, I will put the car in park or neutral. Thankfully the engine is very smooth so hardly noticeable. Stop start is a gimmick!

What amount of extra wear is there? Having the car off will not increase wear at all obviously - so how much does staring the car cause? Where is the cut off point between when it causes less wear to turn the car off and turn it back on compared to leaving it running?

Well obviously you cannot tell. But take a 20 minute traffic jam with for the sake of argument the car moves every minute. So in a minute the oil drains down the bores and you are starting it 20 times with less lubrication all the time. Wear probably nothing. Answers on a postage stamp!

<< So in a minute the oil drains down the bores and you are starting it 20 times with less lubrication all the time. >>

All gone in 60 seconds ? I don't think so. And every time the engine restarts some oil is pumped round again.

<< So in a minute the oil drains down the bores and you are starting it 20 times with less lubrication all the time. >>

All gone in 60 seconds ? I don't think so. And every time the engine restarts some oil is pumped round again.

Never implied that it was all gone just less. I believe something called gravity takes a hold when an engine shuts down. Correct me if you know different. Remember the apple and the tree, I think I learnt that one when I was about 5

<< Never implied that it was all gone just less. I believe something called gravity takes a hold when an engine shuts down. Correct me if you know different. Remember the apple and the tree, I think I learnt that one when I was about 5 >>

No point in answering this witless response.

Auto - Corsa 2023 - John F
Stop start is a gimmick!

Yes and no. I doubt if Mrs F's tiny 3cyl 1.2 litre stop-start engine saves more than a mouse pee of fuel per 100 miles. Anyway, it hardly ever activates; possibly because the threshold is set too high (I can't be bothered to investigate). But I sometimes manually activate it for my thirsty 12cyl 6.0 litre engine . I doubt if it strains the battery, it fires up instantly as there is always a piston nearly ready for a push.

What amount of extra wear is there?

Apart from the theoretical wear when starting stationary bearings and piston rings, I wonder if there is an increased incidence of starter motor failure? Thanks to advances in metallurgy, bumping a car in gear to rotate a flywheel with a few missing teeth so that the bendix pinion can get a grip is a distant memory!

Decent Autocar feature on stop/start -

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-lon...e
Auto - Corsa 2023 - paul 1963

Sammy, maybe your not aware of how modern oils lubricate? There is no drain down of oil from the bores after all they don't actually sit in the stuff.

Stop start systems are a good thing in my mind although I do keep it switched off until the engine is warmed through purely out of mechanical sympathy.

Sammy, maybe your not aware of how modern oils lubricate? There is no drain down of oil from the bores after all they don't actually sit in the stuff.

Stop start systems are a good thing in my mind although I do keep it switched off until the engine is warmed through purely out of mechanical sympathy.

No I am not aware would you care to elaborate this gravity defying Oil? I can well understand that it may be a bit more ""sticky"" if that is a way to describe it. I used to use an additive Molyslip in some older cars which had these sort of properties "clinging" to a an engines bores. The stuff did work and would noticeably free up an engine especially a small one. Now I am the opposite I turn it off from the start out of mechanical sympathy and leave it off

<< No I am not aware would you care to elaborate this gravity defying Oil? I can well understand that it may be a bit more ""sticky"" >>

Sammy, if you consider that a serious amount of oil will have drained off the cylinder walls in a couple of minutes, you should be worried about starting your car after it has stood overnight ?

Decent Autocar feature on stop/start - www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-lon...e

Thanks for that, an interesting read.