What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
TESLA S - sammy1

I read this because IF a bought a Tesla this might be the one. Only a brief review but enough to say a resounding no thanks!. Is this all the reviewers have to say about cars these days touch screen and the games! and when he was not happy with a basic thing like the indicators and the speedometer well that was it.

Tesla Model Y Performance review: The car that made me fall in love with EVs (msn.com)

TESLA S - skidpan

Sammy, we all know that you hate electric cars but at least get the model name correct in your topic title.

Its a Model Y and not a Model S.

TESLA S - Ethan Edwards

Reviewers have to find something to whine about. After all who has ever seen a review saying 'Everything's perfect go buy one ' .

It'd be pretty short wouldn't it.

The salient point is the only things he commented on were small insignificant things.

Would I buy one? No..not a fan of trendy minimalist interiors. I like buttons etc. Secondly what's up to date now can become dated. But as an EV yes it's a great benchmark. Now other manufacturers do better than that.

TESLA S - Bolt

Now other manufacturers do better than that.

Not so sure thats correct, you`ll find Tesla are way ahead of anyone in electronics, Motors and batteries and they are advancing faster than other companies

TESLA S - Ethan Edwards

Yes rereading that and its not what I meant. " Now then, you other manufacturers go try to do better than that ' better?

In any event my Stellantis EV is pretty darn good already. I had the choice between a used Tesla and a new Vauxhall. I did test a Hyundai Kona but hated the interior and the way it drove. Chose the Vauxhall and haven't regretted it.

TESLA S - sammy1

Sammy, we all know that you hate electric cars but at least get the model name correct in your topic title.

Its a Model Y and not a Model S.

Yes sorry lost interest. It is the Y I prefer the bigger one for the looks, the rest well the touch screen just leaves me cold! I saw an S in silver the other day which is their best colour or should it be color. Hate I do not!

TESLA S - Big John

I'll probably not buy one privately now I'm retired but I was impressed with a friends model 3 Tesla. We had a long road trip in the UK involving a need to charge at some point. We nailed in a stop at the Rugby services stopping for a comfort break (needed at my age) and coffee. We pulled in to the services and as I pulled the cable from the charge unit flap automatically opened, I plugged in and off we went. Whilst in the service station charge level went from 40%ish to 90%ish If I had a job similar to ones I've had in the past pounding the motorways I'd have one tomorrow!

I'd been added to the insurance for the trip so I drove for a while, all rather impressive but Mrs BJ would be less impressed being a fully paid up member of the Luddite society.

Edited by Big John on 15/07/2023 at 23:53

TESLA S - bathtub tom
Mrs BJ

Really!

TESLA S - daveyjp
Neighbours son now has a Tesla Y. I’ll let you know how he likes it by how long he keeps it. In the last couple of years he’s had a Fiesta RS, an A45 AMG a Cupra of some sort and now the Y.
TESLA S - barney100

There is a video on twenty reasons not to buy a Tesla, worth a read. If the charging network, price and range improve then I would be interested.

TESLA S - Death51

I have went from a BMW 340i and a 335D into a Tesla M3 Performance. The supercharger network is simply brilliant however I only use it on long journeys once a month. The car tells you where to charge will adjust on how busy the supercharger site is ie if one is busier it will route you to next one or maybe stop you earlier.

Range ? Do you do more than 300 miles a day every day ? I charge at home 95% of the time car is ready preheated or cooled, defrosted etc every morning at 0830. That 300 miles costs me £7.50 to charge at home if I use ALL the battery. But it doesn’t even cost me that as I have solar I can charge it for free normally. Do not believe the Daily Mail that charging an EV costs the same as a petrol/diesel, if you use the most expensive charging network at 75pkw/h then it mounts up, but at 7.5p at home nowhere near.

Yep the car is expensive but zero tax and zero servicing are good. The BMW was £600 a servicing for minor up to £1k on a major. The Tesla has no servicing apart from a brake check if you need it, Tesla sell you the air/pollen filters etc online and you change them yourself.

The ONLY costs I have had are for 2 tyres (£400) other than that nothing nada not a penny just the £15 max electricity a month. The BMW(2018) £1k a year serv/fixes, £300 tax, £2400 fuel,

The Tesla is virtually paying for itself, is still in car warranty and battery warranty is until 2028. Everyone is different and different cars suit different people but it is a no brainier for me. As for buttons and minimalist interior, you will be amazed how quickly it all “just works” don’t miss a button at ALL !

Edited by Death51 on 17/07/2023 at 19:27

TESLA S - bathtub tom

He doesn't mention build quality.

TESLA S - sammy1

No he doesn't but I wonder if this is build quality?

"""Man's fear as Tesla 'spontaneously combusts' at side of road (msn.com)

TESLA S - Big John

My friend has had his Tesla for a couple of years now and has had no issues whatsoever (as yet!)

TESLA S - Bolt

No he doesn't but I wonder if this is build quality?

"""Man's fear as Tesla 'spontaneously combusts' at side of road (msn.com)

That can happen on any EV, Tesla have a fully enclosed battery compartment which can be seen on You Tube which took afair over a week to strip due to the material bonding to the batteries and compartment, ie it stops air entering the compartment.

though the batteries produce there own oxygen even that can`t stop a battery fire, but they do have the best system that disables the electronics from the battery pack but won`t always stop it wrecking the car

I think the new solid state batteries will be able to reduce the amount of fires due to the way they are made and makeup of the battery, which most are or will be going over to in the next few years, Toyota are meant to be using these on the new Hybrids as they will test the charge rate speed and charging and discharge effective longevity, again the info can be found on You Tube