ANY - Bonkers New car prices - _

Following the thread aboutbonkers used car prices had a look on Autotrader for cheapest brand new cars.

Kia picanto , MG3, MGZS. Dacia Duster, Mazda 2.

ANY - Bonkers New car prices - daveyK_UK
You missed the dacia sandero , Hyundai i10, Kia Rio, suzuki swift
ANY - Bonkers New car prices - Chris M

And the Citroen Ami.

ANY - Bonkers New car prices - gordonbennet

Whilst waiting for the parts chap at Toyota to find the necessary i had a poke nose at new Corolla and Hilux (had HIlux before), after recovering from the shock of the on the road prices within a week i'd brought forward this year's rustproofing to ensure the current 15 and 18 year old cars last a heck of a lot longer yet.

Not playing, if any newer vehicle is of any interest it's increasingly likely to be a Dacia Jogger, not just a bargain but a neat looking vehicle in the sea of cloned blobs and truly hideous form that comprises present car design.

Lexus/Audi/BMW i'm looking at the grills on your monstrosities and Kia what on earth came over you with the back ends of some of your current designs....oh and while on a roll could someone explain to car buyers currently joining in the peculiar fad for road grey paint that their car looks 15 years old the day it was driven from the showroom.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/07/2023 at 18:43

ANY - Bonkers New car prices - Dag Hammar

There is a Citroen C3 petrol 1.2 for £13995 on the road and that well known website populated by new and used cars show half a dozen with a few hundred pounds off that RRP of £13995.

The variant is called the C3 YOU and appears to be good value for a four door hatchback.

Only seen a handful of Joggers on the road and I've got to say I don't see any beauty there. Perhaps owners who are looking for a practical 7 seater for around £20k are willing to forgive the looks. I spotted one this afternoon in grey. Looked it up and discovered it's Urban Grey, so even Dacia see it as depressing.

ANY - Bonkers New car prices - Adampr

I have to agree that the jogger is one of the more interesting cars currently around. The styling might not be amazing, but it's good and completely inoffensive. The packaging of the car itself is innovative and practical.

There does seem to be a rash of really horrendous designs doing the rounds. As mentioned, BMW are a repeat offender with their ridiculous grilles and strange proportions. Others, I'm especially looking at Hyundai but they are not alone, seem obsessed with making things look as cheap as possible, with maximum bits of plastic stuck all over them.

The other trend (I'm again looking at Hyundai, but others are just as bad) is putting 'sharp' lines and slashes all over things. As I understand it, it's all due to metal presses now being a lot more advanced. Maybe so, but the Victorians were famed for coming up with stuff just to show what their machines could do, and it wasn't always successful.

ANY - Bonkers New car prices - alan1302

Only seen a handful of Joggers on the road and I've got to say I don't see any beauty there. Perhaps owners who are looking for a practical 7 seater for around £20k are willing to forgive the looks. I spotted one this afternoon in grey. Looked it up and discovered it's Urban Grey, so even Dacia see it as depressing.

Looks of a car are always very subjective - I like the look of the Jogger, to me it stands out. Cars from BMW/Audi that people seem to really enjoy just look like generic blobs to me...and I find the Tesla cars some of the most boring cars to look at ever.

ANY - Bonkers New car prices - badbusdriver

Looks of a car are always very subjective - I like the look of the Jogger, to me it stands out. Cars from BMW/Audi that people seem to really enjoy just look like generic blobs to me...and I find the Tesla cars some of the most boring cars to look at ever.

Yes, "beauty in the eye of the beholder", but I am also a fan of the Jogger.

Confused by this comment though:

I spotted one this afternoon in grey. Looked it up and discovered it's Urban Grey, so even Dacia see it as depressing.

?

"?"

As an example, VW call their greys Urano and Moonstone. Drab is how I'd describe them and they take me back to my father's Hillman Minx of 1968 vintage. Dacia call theirs Urban which just adds to the gloom.

My neighbour has a new HR-V in no cost option Sand Khaki Pearl. Also known as Beige.

I wonder what Dacia would call brown?

Edited by Chris M on 16/07/2023 at 08:43

ANY - Bonkers New car prices - paul 1963

Personally I quite like grey although it does suite some cars more than others, also like the styling of the Jogger.

"?"

As an example, VW call their greys Urano and Moonstone. Drab is how I'd describe them and they take me back to my father's Hillman Minx of 1968 vintage. Dacia call theirs Urban which just adds to the gloom.

So you'd rather Dacia gave their grey a pretentious and ultimately meaningless name?.

Interesting that you chose to look up the name of the colour though. I'd rather base my decision on whether or not I like a colour by how it looks, not what it is called.

Also interesting that you choose to interpret the word urban as negative, gloomy and depressing, Rather than, for example, "urban music", "urban green space" or "urban farm".

I take it you are a "glass half empty" kind of person?

I was responding to GB's post "oh and while on a roll could someone explain to car buyers currently joining in the peculiar fad for road grey paint that their car".

I didn't look up the name specifically but was wondering what colours the owner had rejected before landing on grey. I was surprised they paid £650 extra for it.

Other urban phrases you could have quoted include urban sprawl and urban crime. Glass half empty I guess if you like pigeon holes.

ANY - Bonkers New car prices - UCB
I assume it is the matt light primer grey colour that is being referred to as opposed to a metallic or gun metal style grey? I personally wouldn’t select the primer grey as it looks unfinished to my eye. I see a few Range Rovers in the sandstone light brown colour again metallic as opposed to the old hearing aid beige which always seemed to be on Meastros, Citroen BXs and Austin Ambassadors. As for the Jogger, I think it looks hideous especially the rear but I appreciate its practicality and value.
ANY - Bonkers New car prices - Lee Power

And the Citroen Ami.

Doesn't count as its NOT a car.

Ami is classed as a heavy quadricycle which means it doesn't have to meet the same stringent crash / safety standards a car does.

"And the Citroen Ami"

It was TIC.

I didn't look up the name specifically but was wondering what colours the owner had rejected before landing on grey. I was surprised they paid £650 extra for it.

That is assuming they bought it. Plenty of lease deals and (AFAIK) all Motability cars get metallic paint thrown in. It could also have been a good deal on a pre reg or ex demonstrator. There is also the current supply issues, the Jogger's owner may have wanted a different colour but found that entailed waiting an extra several months and weren't bothered about the colour enough to do so.

Plus, as was discussed in a thread not too long ago, grey is actually the most popular new car colour in the UK.