What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - Yuria

Dear People of this forum,

I unfortunately have found myself in an unfortunate circumstance and kindly would like to ask for your help. I have come to humbly ask for some insight and help regarding a situation I am currently in. Basically, I’m in desperate need of a car, but I have a budget restraint on what I can afford. The budget I can stretch to is from £2500 to £3000 depending on whether I skimp on some food – yes that’s the type of predicament I’m in at the moment. I need to get out of the situation I am in (I haven't broken the law ) and having a vehicle will allow me and my dog to get away from my abusive troubles. I won’t bore you with any more details.
I wanted to ask you what a good car would be to get that is reliable and low maintenance and won’t cost me an arm and a leg if something was to break down. Also, what places online would you suggest I look on to try and get a car. It’s really hard for me right now to travel long distances. I know Autotrader is one place. Any hints and tips one what to look for when purchasing a car would help me greatly. Your input would really help me. I live in Bedfordshire.

Thank you so much.

Yuria

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - badbusdriver

With such a small budget you will need to buy mainly on condition rather than looking for a couple of specific cars. Even the most reliable car can become a liability if neglected and abused over 15+ years and at the same time, a car not known to be reliable can be a better purchase if driven carefully and serviced diligently over the same period. However it would be wise to start with a basic principle of keeping it (the car) as simple as possible. So n/a petrol, manual gearbox (no turbo, no diesel, no auto).

As a general guide you want to be thinking along these lines:

Ford Fiesta (1.25, 1.4 or 1.6), Ford Fusion (1.4, 1.6), Ford Focus (1.6, 1.8, 2.0), Ford Mondeo (1.6, 1.8, 2.0)

Vauxhall Corsa (1.2, 1.4), Vauxhall Astra (1.6)

Toyota Yaris (1.3 ideally but 1.0 is fine if not a fast driver), Toyota Corolla (1.3, 1.4, 1.6), Toyota Avensis (1.8, 2.0)

Honda Jazz (1.2, 1.4), Honda Civic (1.4, 1.6, 1.8), Honda Accord (1.8, 2.0)

Mazda 2 (1.3, 1.4, 1.5), Mazda 3 (1.4, 1.6, 2.0), Mazda 6 (1.8, 2.0)

The Ford's and Vauxhall's were very common cars, so possibly best chance of finding a decent one not too far away. But use MOT history check to get an indication if the car has been well looked after. That is only a guide though, you need to be able to sift through what is noted and determine what should worry you and what shouldn't. At this price, private sales are possibly better than a garage or trader as the latter two are in it just for profit. So the car they are asking £3k for will only have cost them £2k.

Also, use Gumtree and Ebay as well as Autotrader.

Finally, if you tell us where in the country you are, someone will have a look at possible buys not too far away. In my own case, that will be later this afternoon onwards, once I've finished work.

But good luck and stay strong!

Thank you so much for taking time out to help me. I basically am in the UK and in Bedfordshire, Milton Keynes. I'm not too good with the Gumtree and Ebay motor websites. Please could you or anyone give me a link to these car search websites . I really would appreciate if you or anyone can help with possible buys. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your help. Hopefully, I can buy a decent car and be out of this quagmire. :)

Edited by Yuria on 22/06/2023 at 08:35

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - Gibbo_Wirral

go to:

www.autotrader.co.uk

Put as many details as you can in the search box. Don't use your own postcode, but one of a nearby pub or post office.

Pick a few cars you like and post the links and we can advise

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - catsdad

Gumtree and eBay have many things for sale, not just cars. However both are easy to use to find cars.
Search for the sites in the same as you do for any search online. Then use the sites’ filters for cars and your location. You can then set other field (such as distance, price) to get a list of local cars in your budget.

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - Oli rag

I just found my dream car... Search for yours
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306228824524?advertising-location=at_cars&atmobcid=soc5&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&fromsra&fuel-type=Petrol&include-delivery-option=on&make=Kia&maximum-mileage=100000&model=Ceed&radius=30&sort=price-asc&year-from=2008

This Kia ceed looks quite good, but you might have to negotiate to get new tyres as they’re mentioned in the last mot test.

Will search more when I get a chance, but £3000 is not a great budget for a decent car in these crazy times.

I just found my dream car... Search for yours
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306188652968?advertising-location=at_cars&atmobcid=soc5&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&fromsra&fuel-type=Petrol&include-delivery-option=on&make=Mazda&maximum-mileage=100000&model=Mazda2&radius=30&sort=price-asc&year-from=2008

Mazda 2 looks good but not sure if a 3 door would suit the dog?

Edited by Oli rag on 22/06/2023 at 17:16

If you are not bothered about driving fast, this 2 owner Toyota Yaris 1.0 could not the bill. Very reliable, cheap to insure and tax, spacious inside for its size and the rear seats slide back and fore so you can give the dog a bit more room. Nothing of concern in the MOT history.

3 owner Ford Fiesta 1.4. Looks tidy and nothing too alarming in MOT history.

Below are from dealers.

This 1 owner Ford Focus could be worth a look. Probably needs new tyres (bargaining chip?) otherwise nothing of concern in MOT history.

Tidy looking Ford C-Max (taller and more spacious Focus) has little to worry about in MOT history.

Not the most exciting option, but this Nissan Almera's MOT history is notable by its lack of any fails. And on only two years were there even any advisories noted (most recently in 2019)!.

Another Nissan, a Micra. This one has a little more in the MOT history, but nothing too concerning.

Something a bit different, a Suzuki Ignis 4x4. Nothing alarming in the MOT history, but possibly new front discs needed in the not too distant future.

This Toyota Auris passed its MOT with no advisories the last 4 years and nothing else too concerning.

Tidy Hyundai i30 with nothing too worrisome in MOT history.

Think that's enough to be getting on with for the moment!

Thank you for this badbusdriver. I'm still on the lookout.

Hi Badbusdriver, I ended up getting the Toyota Auris you posted. :) Hopefully it'll serve me well.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306118393496?s...a

Thank you and everyone whom has helped in finding me a decent car. :)

Yuria

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - SLO76

Hi Badbusdriver, I ended up getting the Toyota Auris you posted. :) Hopefully it'll serve me well.

Yuria

Good robust cars. Get one of these from EBay to tidy up that worn gear knob. They just pop off. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284110489600?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&m...Y

Again thank you for your help! I got it for the asking price; however, I feel I could have haggled it down more. I managed to get 6 months warranty.

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - Engineer Andy

The Ford Fusion might be a better choice (give it is on the same platform as the Fiesta and Mazda2 of the same era in the 2000s) as it is more 'boxy' at the rear boot area.

What's a shame for the OP is how prices are so high at the moment - my 80yo dad just PXed his (admitedly very low mileage) 08 Plate base model Fiesta (same platform version as the Fusion) for £1200 when replacing it with a 2.5yo upper spec 20 plate model for about £16k.

The Ford Fusion might be a better choice (give it is on the same platform as the Fiesta and Mazda2 of the same era in the 2000s) as it is more 'boxy' at the rear boot area.

I did see examples of both while looking, but had some concerns over the MOT histories of both. And we did have a Fusion, so believe me I am a big fan of this under-rated gem!

Edited by badbusdriver on 22/06/2023 at 19:18

Thank you all for giving me your advice and help searching for a car.

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - Engineer Andy

Thank you all for giving me your advice and help searching for a car.

By all means pop back in with questions, and if you don't feel comfortable checking out cars for issues (whether at a [small scale] dealer or private seller) by yourself, try and find a friend or relative who is reasonably car savvy (for the mechanicals and electrics to a reasonable degree and who can easily spot a 'bad' car) who can accompany you to viewings.

Make sure that you get a good test drive in (30-45 mins would be good) across a variety of different road types / speeds to test out all its capabilities, comfort and to shake out any problems.

I would also make sure that you have the seat and steering wheel position (up/down and in/out, lumbar support position, seat angle) set as best you can for your comfort before setting off, as not doing so can lead to negative feelings on the driving comfort side when they may not exist if both were properly adjusted.

Check out all the car's functions you'll likely use and the maintenance and MOT history (the latter can be quickly found via the government website), and a good owner will have a nice lot of invoices / receipts for services and repairs.

In addition, don't just go for the first one that looks good - whilst I can appreciate that the market as it currently stands means that some cars will sell quite quickly due to demand, often having a good think and comparing cars / sleeping on a decision can often lead to better results.

You should always be wary of going for a car where it has been pre-warmed up (the bonnet should be not warm), as that could be a sign of engine trouble that the owner is masking by taking it out for a run before showing it to you.

As a final check before deciding to buy, pay a reputable company to check to see whether the car has has any finance due paid off (it may be [partly] owned by the finance company and not the user), been in a serious accident, been a write-off and/or is a 'cut and shut', i.e. two cars joined together pretending to be one after a nasty accident - they are death traps and avoid them like the plague.

Have a look through the 'Advice' section of this website for more tips on buying second hand cars, especially privately.

Best of luck in your search.

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - MGspannerman
Just a note about the red 09 Yaris that BBD picked out. It is only in the original, first model Yaris where the rear seat slid back and forth. This model doesn’t, we had a 59 reg in the same colour as it happens, and indeed one of the early models as well.
Just a note about the red 09 Yaris that BBD picked out. It is only in the original, first model Yaris where the rear seat slid back and forth. This model doesn’t, we had a 59 reg in the same colour as it happens, and indeed one of the early models as well.

My Dad's one (a 1.0 3 door) had a sliding rear seat. Don't recall the age, but it was a 2nd gen.

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - JonestHon

Precisly the opposite, mk1 to 2005 imported to the UK first from Japan and then from France had fixed back seats. The 2005 onward Mk2 imported from France had the sliding back seats up to Mk3 when for some reason it was stopped.

Edited by JonestHon on 24/06/2023 at 10:07

Precisly the opposite, mk1 to 2005 imported to the UK first from Japan and then from France had fixed back seats. The 2005 onward Mk2 imported from France had the sliding back seats up to Mk3 when for some reason it was stopped.

That isn't actually the case (re the mk1 anyway) either, as it did also have sliding rear seats. On the MK2 like my Dad's, there were two levers on the top of each side of the seat backrest. One folded the backrest forward, the other slid that side forwards or backwards. On the MK1 the whole rear seat slid as one, with one lever under the leading edge of the rear seat cushion in the middle and another in the boot at the base of the rear seat in the middle.

Not sure the cause of the confusion, I had wondered if having the sliding rear seat was trim related, but Dad's wasn't a high spec so who knows?

You don't have to take my word for it, look at pics of them for sale.

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - MGspannerman
My apologies BBD, you are quite right. I had forgotten about the levers on top of the seats. Anyway, that red Yaris you picked out looked very nice in the images and description.
That wee red Yaris does look very good and it’s been with its current owner for 5yrs which tell us that it’s been good to them. These are cheap to run and robust if serviced regularly.

Would appreciate feedback on these cars.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304256639377?s...a

and

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305257781489?s...a

Thank you!

and

Thank you!

Looked at MOT histories, plenty of advisories and a couple of fails for the Suzuki but doesn't seem (to my non-mechanic mind) to be anything to worry much about. They are renowned for being very reliable. Going by the pics, it looks absolutely fine for a 15 year old. Seems to have at least two, but probably three Michelin tyres (passenger side rear is something else)

The MOT history for the Toyota also doesn't show anything I'd be alarmed at. Going by the pics, it also looks fine bearing in mind its age. A little lacquer peeling apparent on at least one of the pics (drivers side A pillar and the front wing), but it is 18 years old, so you can't expect too much. It does appear to have Michelin tyres all round, which I'd take as a positive (not necessarliy Michelin, but a brand I've heard of, and four of).

I'd probably go for the Suzuki myself as I prefer a car with a higher seating position, but I think either would be sound enough buys going by pics and MOT histories. I see it is the same garage selling both, but customer reviews very good at 4.8 out of 5 over 125 reviews.

One other thing, the Suzuki has air con and the Toyota has climate (kind of a posh air con), so make sure both are blowing proper cold when you turn the temperature down. They are older cars after all, so you could maybe use this to haggle the price down if they are not blowing cold.

Thank you so much for your input.

Edited by Yuria on 26/06/2023 at 19:10

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - Adampr

and

Thank you!

They're both decent cars. If I was to choose one, I would go for the Toyota as the MOT history is better (but still not perfect. The Suzuki seems to have been with the dealer longer, too, which suggests a few people have decided against it.

If you can find one, a private sale would be better as the equivalent cars will be about £1,000 cheaper.

Can I ask how you found out the Suzuki has been with the dealer longer?

Thank you.

Pls Urgent Help Needed to Find a Car - Budget 3k - Adampr

Thank you.

I don't actually know, but both have got fairly recent MOTs. I don't think someone would.MOT a car and then trade it in, so I assume the dealer puts an MOT on cars when they come in so they can advertise them as 'long MOT' (and identify any obvious issues). The Suzuki's MOT is from April and the Toyota's is from June.

Thank you.

I don't actually know, but both have got fairly recent MOTs. I don't think someone would.MOT a car and then trade it in, so I assume the dealer puts an MOT on cars when they come in so they can advertise them as 'long MOT' (and identify any obvious issues). The Suzuki's MOT is from April and the Toyota's is from June.

I wouldn't make that assumption at all. Surely it is just as likely that the previous owner might think they'd get a better trade in price if the car has a long MOT?

But both cases would assume the change was planned when I'd say it is just as likely that it wasn't. The previous owner may have just been driving past the garage and saw a car they fancied.

That dealer has a few good options, these two included. My eye goes to the Corolla of these two as it’s one of the most robust used cars you could buy, these have a great reputation and were better built than the Auris that replaced them. That it’s been owned by its last keeper since 2010 and has a full main dealer history is all golden words to my ears. This has been cared for regardless of cost by a happy owner. I haven’t looked up the Mot history but from what other contributors have said it looks fine. I’d be very happy to recommend one of these at this sort of money. Though it is strong money.

The wee Suzuki is ok, not quite as well made, but like the Toyota they don’t appeal to younger drivers who abuse them. Most are owned by older drivers (sorry) and usually very well maintained. Rust underneath and on the front crossmember is usually what kills them so you need to get under it. Ditto anything else you look at for this money including the Toyota.

Yuria

Happy to help and glad to hear you have got something!

Good luck in moving forwards :-)

Thank you! Having a set of wheels well definitely get me up and going and in a better place. :)