What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Parking on your own street - sammy1

People face ‘outrageous’ £100 fines for parking on their own street (msn.com)

This is the second instance of councils restricting car owners I have read in two days. In Cardiff a series of residential roads controlled by ANPR cameras that fines drivers not registered to these roads to avoid the free movement of others who my be short cutting or parking.. You may have a perfectly legitimate reason to visit the area a relative, friend ebay purchase or whatever. Have you got a permit?? how on earth do they work these things and WHY? This may be or is happening all over the place. This is just another seemingly injustice on the motorist.. Have our councils got nothing better to do with their time and our money dreaming up these schemes and what good are they doing in the grand scheme of things.

Parking on your own street - FP

"This is the second instance of councils restricting car owners..."

I think you need to re-read the article. It says, "Strict new measures were brought in by a housing association..."

So, housing association, not local council. Private land, presumably.

Parking on your own street - jchinuk

Housing Association?

That sounds like someone is emulating the dreaded US 'Home Owners Association' and imposing petty rules.

Parking on your own street - galileo

Living within 15 minutes walk of the town centre, our road and nearby ones are in a scheme whereby residents get a permit valid for the area and for a small sum can have a 'visitors' permit.

Thanks to a shortage of parking spaces in the centre and high charges for the council car parks which are available, hundreds of workers park as near as possible on those roads with no restrictions.

Without the permit scheme our road and every other nearby residential road would be parked up all day by town centre workers, so personally I am pleased that we have this here.

The road pictured is doubled yellow lined council presumably so I missed the housing association bit but so what the principle is almost the same, The situation in Cardiff is in the suburbs so hardly a major problem and is the council.

Removed text that makes no sense after edits higher up the thread - Mod

Edited by Xileno on 20/06/2023 at 21:20

Parking on your own street - Xileno

I've removed some unnecessary comments. Yes it's nothing to do with the Council.

To err is human.

Mod

Parking on your own street - edlithgow

EDC did a consultative survey in my area (Dalry Road) on "did we want a resident permit scheme?, touting the advantages mentioned above.

The answer was an overwhelming "No we b***** didn't" which gave them a wee pause, but we got one anyway.

Democracy in action.

Parking on your own street - badbusdriver

My brother bought his 1st house in a part of Aberdeen near the university. That was a resident parking permit street, as was many others in Aberdeen at the time. It was also circa 35 years ago, so I don't really see this as being new or news-worthy in any way!.

Parking on your own street - daveyjp
It is unlawful for Councils to use ANPR for parking enforcement.

It will be a private parking company dishing out invoices.
Parking on your own street - gordonbennet

Where i lived before was within easy walking distance of the railway station, over the years the town became more popular for London commuters to live the parking situation became increasingly worse, i would leave early morning and by the time i got home there was nowhere to park thenlater in the evening i'd have to go and retrieve my car from far away to get it somewhere near my house.

Since we've moved a parking permit scheme has been put in place, and rightly so its made life much better for the residents.

Parking on your own street - bathtub tom
It is unlawful for Councils to use ANPR for parking enforcement

Really? I suggest you google: Local_authority_use_of_fixed_ANPR

Parking on your own street - Bromptonaut
It is unlawful for Councils to use ANPR for parking enforcement

Really? I suggest you google: Local_authority_use_of_fixed_ANPR

That search string leads to a document published by the British Parking Association about council's use of ANPR in off street parking - ie in their car parks. That is allowed.

What seems to be unlawful is use of fixed or vehicle mounted cameras to enforce on street restrictions such as yellow lines but with an exception for Red Routes and Bus Lanes. The intention was to deal with a perception the enforcement was over zealous particularly in parts of London.

In this case it's the landlord Housing Association that's doing the enforcement so I think allowed.

Parking on your own street - edlithgow
This just in.

Honest John Forum is NOT a Newsroom

“Well knock me dahn wivafevva” sources close to Rupert Murdoch, who declined to be named, are reported to have said.
Parking on your own street - Gibbo_Wirral

These articles always make me laugh. I liked the

"We are barred from our own family."

Yet there's plenty of free parking on the next street along (Westwell Court) if the time limited parking (M-S 8am-6pm) is full.

Why do some people think they have a god given right to a bit of tarmac two yards from their front door?

Parking on your own street - galileo

These articles always make me laugh. I liked the

"We are barred from our own family."

Yet there's plenty of free parking on the next street along (Westwell Court) if the time limited parking (M-S 8am-6pm) is full.

Why do some people think they have a god given right to a bit of tarmac two yards from their front door?

Too b***** lazy to walk a few yards, this is why so many are obese.

I saw one this morning park on the white 'H' by a driveway, decided not to tell him the error of his ways, not personally being built like Jack Reacher. (as described in the books, not as in the films! )

I saw one this morning park on the white 'H' by a driveway, decided not to tell him the error of his ways, not personally being built like Jack Reacher. (as described in the books, not as in the films! )

If you have Amazon Prime, try the Jack Reacher series on there, the actor Alan Ritchson doing justice to the character...if you don't already have Prime its worth it IMHO for the films and series alone, i also have Kindle Unlimited in books which again i find super value...

far better value and lacking the propaganda that oozes 24/7 from the state broadcaster :-))

Parking on your own street - Brit_in_Germany
far better value and lacking the propaganda that oozes 24/7 from the state broadcaster :-))

Which you now haven't watched for many more than 'a few' years.

Parking on your own street - FP

"If you have Amazon Prime, try the Jack Reacher series on there... if you don't already have Prime its worth it IMHO for the films and series alone... far better value and lacking the propaganda that oozes 24/7 from the state broadcaster"

I find it odd that you're comparing films and books on the one hand with a news source on the other. The two different genres do not fill the same role. The Reacher stuff is entertainment and nothing more. I get that you don't like BBC News, but its aim isn't mass entertainment.

I find it odd that you're comparing films and books on the one hand with a news source on the other. The two different genres do not fill the same role. The Reacher stuff is entertainment and nothing more. I get that you don't like BBC News, but its aim isn't mass entertainment.

Did you chaps not see the smiley at the end of the state brodcaster sentence?

Parking on your own street - Andrew-T

I think some of it may be due to a wish to be able to keep an eye on their property ?

Although historically roads have been open to all for passage and repassage, not for abandoning large items of hardware.

Parking on your own street - Terry W

Too many cars, not enough parking spaces - possible solutions:

• parking permits - what cost
  • limit households to one free permit
  • tarmac the local park to provide more spaces
  • carry on with a free for all, first come first served
  • move - buy a house with a drive
  • allow parking on pavements
  • ++ no doubt lots more

What ever solution is adopted some (or many) will complain. Get used to it - there really are bigger things in life to worry about!

It is a bit different in Cardiff as I said at the start, The council want to hive whole streets in a suburb and restrict access and people cutting through, So seem to be setting up a camera system/ permit so how visitors and delivery drivers will access the area is going to be difficult and very inconvenient for some. Whatever system it will involve a fee to the DVLA to get the owner details for possible fines and of course plenty of new signs!. It is a bit like a LTN but at lest they do allow free access to those that require it

Does anyone know when the maximum penalty for private parking fines starts. I understand that the fine will be limited to £50?.

Parking on your own street - badbusdriver

Housing Association?

That sounds like someone is emulating the dreaded US 'Home Owners Association' and imposing petty rules.

I just Googled Homeowner association because I wasn't sure what it is. Based on what Wiki says, it is completely different.

A (UK) housing association is a private company which rents out properties to folk who, once upon a time, would have got a council house (there are still council houses, but much less than there once was and much less than is needed).

Parking on your own street - Engineer Andy

Housing Association?

I just Googled Homeowner association because I wasn't sure what it is. Based on what Wiki says, it is completely different.

A (UK) housing association is a private company which rents out properties to folk who, once upon a time, would have got a council house (there are still council houses, but much less than there once was and much less than is needed).

Indeed - I live on a privately owned housing development where we have a Residents Association in charge (us), employing a managing agent, who then uses (at no expense to either party) a parking control firm on our private (unadopted) roads to legitimately keep them free for vehicles to use (especially larger onjes, emergency vehicles) and to stop non-residents who aren't genuine visitors parking for local businesses and the nearby station gratis.