What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Insurance options for 17 year old - johnnyrev

My son has just turned 17 and while he's taking lessons we've bought a Fiat Seicento for him. It needs a bit of cosmetic tidying up, but miraculously has a full 20 year service history, a clear MOT and no rust. The last 2 services and MOT's cost more than what we paid for it!

I've driven it up and down the drive and it's terrible, but everything works so it will be fine for him, who has no interest in cars. I had a Seicento Sporting in 1999 which I thought was excellent, but I was upgrading from a mk1 Panda with 34hp.

I don't think we're going to take him out to practice in it, so we are considering insurance options. We could just sorn it until he passes. Or I could insure it in my name (with the option then of adding him so we could go out and practise). Or could I insure it in his name, with me as a named drier, to start building up his no claims?

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Insurance options for 17 year old - Vroom78

I wouldn't know off the top my head but there is a great link that might steer you in the right direction.

www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/17-year-old.../

Insurance options for 17 year old - mcb100
Went through this a couple of years ago.
It’s not as prohibitive as you’d think to add a learner as they’re supervised by a (hopefully) competent driver. We used a stand alone, monthly policy from Adrian Flux (Marmalade is another option). The car was additionally insured on its regular policy.
Once she passed, Admiral came out as cheapest for fully comp, with no black box, with a policy in my daughter’s name for her own car.
Insurance options for 17 year old - Falkirk Bairn

17 year old granddaughter got an Aygo on her birthday, 4 year old and looked in good order. Only change in 12 months was scrapping 2 x Chinese ditch finders on the front!

Insured with Aviva whilst she was learning , modest increase when she passed her test.

When she turned 18 Aviva almost doubled the premium.

Changed to Admiral with the BlackBox connected to the OBD socket.

Her mum & dad can see her driving and monitor her. Consistent good marks BUT marked down for going to her part-time job 6 pm to 10pm - she leaves at 5.30 and is coming home after 10! Rush hour and late nights!!!

Starts university in September, she can live on her lifeguarding earnings of around £1,000/ month - no Student Loan to pay back hopefully after graduation!!

Insurance options for 17 year old - JonestHon

Mmm.. Have you seen how much is a student loan lately ?

Insurance options for 17 year old - Falkirk Bairn

Granddaughter will pay all her own day to day expenses - travel, social life, clothes etc etc

Bank of M&D will cover living costs, with back up from Bank of G&G

Admittedly 30 years ago my 3 x sons all graduated from university debt free - My wife & I were poorer, but they got the best start to their working lives.

Insurance options for 17 year old - SLO76
I’d get quotes, but I’d personally insure it in his name with you as named driver. It is his car, I’m assuming it’s registered in his name? If so then it really should be insured in his name too. Once he passes his test the insurance will no doubt rocket.
Insurance options for 17 year old - daveyjp
Get quotes for all of them. Tried to add daughter as a learner to one of our policies and it went up by a factor of ten. That isn’t happening.
Insurance options for 17 year old - Bromptonaut

Our youngest is 28 so we may be behind the times but....

I'd intend that it was 'his' car and thus, assuming you or Mrs Rev are OK supervising, it gets used for practicing with L plates as an adjunct to professional the professional instruction. Insurance in his name as a provisional licence holder, but with you and/or Mrs Rev on the policy.

Let him familiarise himself with basic handling on a car park or industrial estate.

Once you're happy he's got the basics of car control etc then let him drive you to the shops, his gran's etc under supervision. Extend that to going further afield. is practical.

We followed that sort of regime with both ours albeit in my car rather than one of their own.

Daughter's first time pass followed her doing nearly all the driving outwith the Motorway network on a holiday to the Western Isles. If you've got the observational etc skills to drive on single track roads you're ready for the test.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 19/06/2023 at 22:51