What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - S Gupta

I live in the south Englang and have found an approved used 5 series touring in Scotland that has the features (adaptive cruise control and heads up display) I am looking for and is at a good price. The car is just about 20 months old and has done about 20K miles from new.

I first wanted to fly to Scotland and see the car, complete the purchase the same day if all looks good and then drive back in it. However, my wife has labelled this as a crazy plan and given that she has always been the sane one, I am going to listen to her and not insist on executing this plan.

Given that it is an approved used car on BMW's website, can I trust it to be in a perfect condition as described with everything in order? Or should I still treat it as a used car from any used car dealer? There is an option of flying to Scotland, inspecting the car, completing the deal and then flying back with the car being delivered. However, that will still take away as much time away from home as driving it back. Would just leave me a little less tired for a day.

The only other option then is to not buy this car and keep looking. That would not be ideal as most of the used car listings do not have the adaptive cruise and heads up display as added features.

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - Adampr

If you give them a call, they will probably transport it down to your local dealer, or your local dealer will buy it into stock. It won't be cheap, but probably cheaper than flying to Scotland to get it.

As to whether it will be fine, probably, but not guaranteed. I have bought approved used cars that haven't been properly prepared before (missing accessories etc) and they won't be interested in helping you once they have your cash. Given that BMW dealers have a particularly poor reputation I don't think I would take the risk that it will be OK without getting it myself.

Why not take the family and have a holiday, including a road trip home?

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - catsdad

Both my last purchases (Honda and VW) were approved. Each had issues that weren’t obvious when I gave them a quick once over at collection. In both cases it took several visits back to the selling dealer. They were fixed in 2-3 weeks at no expense to me and most of the issues would have been covered by the manufacturer warranty anyway. However any previously damaged items or poor previous repairs for example would be down to the selling dealer to rectify.

Equally I know people who have had cars delivered from a distance and they’ve been 100% fine.

You could consider an independent inspection which might be cheaper than flights and personal time.

Yes, getting an independent inspection will be a good idea. Do you have any recommendation on how to find an expert for that?

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - Metropolis.
Whereabouts in Scotland? If you plan on keeping this a long time, the car could have had plenty of salt baths up there which will reveal itself a few years down the line.

It is in Aberdeen and has had two winters in Scotland so far.

Is the salt a big problem for used cars from Scotland?

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - Falkirk Bairn

A son bought a 5 series from a Franchise dealer near Chester - 2,000mls/3 months old.

Car was driven up to Aberdeen , so dirty he could not verify it's condition. Inside were tatty mats, damaged boot mat -never the mats from an almost new car. He agreed with the driver & salesman to get a mobile valet to come and clean the car whilst he fed & watered the driver.

2 weeks later NO new mats and NO refund of the £75 he paid for the car valet, Salesman never returned his calls.

He wrote to the Group MD- 2 days later, a phone call and the promise the money & mats would be with him ASAP.

Car was good one but Why did the salesman try to get away with car mats, boot mat and not pay the valet invoice? It affected his commission on the £300 retail costs - but a lot less on dealer prices of mats etc etc !

My goodness! That is one unscruplous salesman!

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - sammy1

If you are buying an approved BMW that is about as good as it gets. To fly to Scotland one way is peanuts. They could send you a decent walk around video and just negotiate over the phone. One thing worth checking perhaps is whether the car was registered in Scotland or just moved there within the BMW organisation which is common. Also whether privately owned or ex company may effect your decision. You have the remainder of the warranty and the car will come fully serviced when you collect it Drive it home and enjoy the scenery.

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - Andrew-T

If you are buying an approved BMW that is about as good as it gets. To fly to Scotland one way is peanuts.

Yes. it possibly is. But as has been suggested, an Approved car from a major chain should be truckable to your nearest BMW franchise so that you can inspect the car properly, buy from them, and any later problems can be dealt with locally.

Unless you particularly like the idea of a long drive back from Scotland, it's not clever to risk a failure on a long trip in an unfamiliar car.

If you are buying an approved BMW that is about as good as it gets. To fly to Scotland one way is peanuts.

Yes. it possibly is. But as has been suggested, an Approved car from a major chain should be truckable to your nearest BMW franchise so that you can inspect the car properly, buy from them, and any later problems can be dealt with locally.

Unless you particularly like the idea of a long drive back from Scotland, it's not clever to risk a failure on a long trip in an unfamiliar car.

I do not think even BMW with their profit margins are going to move a car 500 miles of so for a sale. In this modern day and age many cars are bought remotely and a number of car companies do business this way. Driving a strange car is hardly rocket science and who says the journey should be done in a day. BMWs are like any other mass produced car, there will be another one along any time soon.

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - craig-pd130

The experience will vary according to manufacturer and dealer chain. A few years back we bought an approved used Network Q Corsa from our local Vauxhall dealer, it was moved from Newcastle to Macclesfield for free and was immaculately prepared.

If Vauxhall could do that with a Corsa that cost £8K at the time, surely BMW could move it to a dealer near you?

If they won't do that, insist on a video of the exterior and interior as another poster suggested.

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - John F

Given that it is an approved used car on BMW's website, can I trust it to be in a perfect condition as described with everything in order?

No

Or should I still treat it as a used car from any used car dealer?

Yes

There is an option of flying to Scotland, inspecting the car, completing the deal and then flying back.............The only other option then is to not buy this car and keep looking.

Ever heard the proverb 'don't buy a pig in a poke'? Especially a porker several hundred miles away! If I was spending (presumably) a substantial five figure sum on a car I would want to inspect it thoroughly; inside, outside and underneath. Then I would want to drive, or at least be driven in it for at least five miles, including a fast road. I find it hard to believe than you cannot find a suitable car within a radius of sixty miles or so from any point in the south of England.

Edited by John F on 19/06/2023 at 11:33

I expect that if you were spending big money they might let you look underneath but I doubt it. They would probably tell you to get lost and not waste their time!. Who looks under a modern car these days, the important bits are hidden by the undertray. In this case you have the balance of a 3 year warranty and other benefits of owning a BMW even if you are paying Any dodgy cars would be traded somewhere else almost certainly. On this particular car my only concern might be the Tyre wear probably need a new set at 20K and runflats are not cheap

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - Adampr

I expect that if you were spending big money they might let you look underneath but I doubt it. They would probably tell you to get lost and not waste their time!. Who looks under a modern car these days, the important bits are hidden by the undertray. In this case you have the balance of a 3 year warranty and other benefits of owning a BMW even if you are paying Any dodgy cars would be traded somewhere else almost certainly. On this particular car my only concern might be the Tyre wear probably need a new set at 20K and runflats are not cheap

I've always looked under used cars and nobody has batted an eye lid. You can see the suspension, driveshafts, exhaust, check the sills, sump etc for corrosion, look for leaks and so on. Assuming it's going to be OK because it's got a BMW badge would be completely mad.

"""I've always looked under used cars and nobody has batted an eye lid. You can see the suspension, driveshafts, exhaust, check the sills, sump etc for corrosion, look for leaks and so on. Assuming it's going to be OK because it's got a BMW badge would be completely mad."""

Well you have probably got one of those bomb disposal mirrors because on most cars you can see very little unless you jack it up. We are talking here about an approved BMW car and they have already done all the checks. The motor industry has moved on a bit from the dodgy back street merchants although they do exist if you are buying at the bottom end of the market. They might even be using the dreaded sawdust to disguise a noisy diff.

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - movilogo

A BMW 5 series is neither rare nor a supercar.

If you wait few days most likely you'll get one in similar price but far near to your home.

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - RichardW

It's presumably the dark blue one at John Clark, which is the thick end of 50 grand. It's had 3 owners (which is probably 4) - that alone would be enough to make me walk, and I certainly wouldn't buy it without seeing it!!

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - Falkirk Bairn

A son bought a new car after a test drive.

His car arrived 2 weeks later, he went to insure and it came up with the lower powered engine - same cc but less powerful.

He raised the matter & JC said that was what he ordered - he had the paper copy and proved it was the wrong engine. Cancelled the order and 2 weeks later they eventually refunded his deposit.

Saw the right spec in Aberdeen, better price, better offer- free services in year 1 & 2 + some freebies mats, boot liner etc. Took delivery - car just fine.

12 months on phones for the free service - "We know nothing about this" There is nobody in sales that was here when you bought the car - Service is £400!

Fortunately my son has the offer brochure and photos of his car windscreen with the car offers. Despite this they insisted they knew nothing. He had paid the reservation by Credit Card and involved the CC company who saw his evidence and the garage eventually caved after about 1 week of hassle.

Spending almost £40K, promise you X,Y or Z and then fail to honour their contract.

These are not back street outlets - Both the Stirling and Aberdeen Franchised dealers, owned by different chains, should really look at their business practices - the manufacturer stated it was all misunderstandings!

I would have said fraud!!

BMW 5 Series - Buying Approved Used BMW without seeing it first? - catsdad

I buy approved used for comeback and a bit of peace of mind. However I’ve already said both my last two cars came with faults. I should also have said they both came with tick sheets which are hardly reassuring as they look as if they are just routinely ticked. A very minor example, the Golf had a tick for the warning triangle when there wasn’t one and the spare wheel was ticked off. They missed the fact that there were about three inches (no exaggeration) of water in the spare wheel well. I don’t therefore share the view that they are thoroughly checked in all cases. I hazard that any checker who rejected too many cars wouldn’t last long.

As for not looking underneath, that is definitely a risk. Once you have driven the car off the premises then some dealers will swear blind that the creased sill, dented subframe or rippled floor was fine when it left them. These are not warranty items, you are on your own. It’s not easy to check but I always have at least gone in old jeans so I can have a bit of a look.

I still think that most approved cars are OK and you can overthink it. However a healthy scepticism is also wise.