What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Hyundai USA - vehicle theft settlements - _

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/19/hyundai-ki...t

Interesting.

Kia Hyundai USA - vehicle theft settlements - RT

Interesting.

Hyundai/Kia vehicles sold in North America don't have the immobilisers fitted to UK/EU spec vehicles.

Kia Hyundai USA - vehicle theft settlements - Lee Power

I also saw a report that the software update mentioned works really well.

First Reported Case Of Kia Stolen After Receiving Security Update | Carscoops

Kia Hyundai USA - vehicle theft settlements - RT

I also saw a report that the software update mentioned works really well.

First Reported Case Of Kia Stolen After Receiving Security Update | Carscoops

That's in USA still.

Kia Hyundai USA - vehicle theft settlements - Engineer Andy

Interesting.

This sort of thing is only going to get worse as tech in cars increases and cars go over to EVs.

I'm sure that the hacking community (and many criminal organstions who use their services) are salavating at this prospect - especially those who do so for profit (and not just the 'thrill' or to 'uncover design / security flaws') or who work for hostile governments / home-grown security agencies (who may want to 'target' foreign firms to benefit home grown ones).

I remember a former colleague who owned a beige early 80s Toyota Corolla or suchlike (this was in the mid-late 90s) taking us into town from the office so we could deposit our pay cheques (shows how long ago this was [it also was a small firm we worked for]), leaving his car unlocked in the Sainsbury's multi-story car park, saying no-one would bother stealing his car. He was right, and this was London as well.