What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
any - ulez - barney100

Got done for inadvertently entering the ulez on a wet and windy night at 11.15pm. Going west down the M3 should have got me home for around midnight but as luck would have it the M3 is shut. Detour gets me home at 12.45 am. Straight away I set an account to pay the charge but still get a penalty notice for £90. You are supposed to set up the account on the same day it turns out. I appeal this to be told I had to set up another acc to let them take money from me...this was news. I haven't been to London by car for many years, furthermore I won't go again.

any - ulez - _

Out of interest what was the actual route?

An example is dart charge. Can pay till midnight the next day.

Currently Capita running ulez and dart charge but losing dart charge soon.

According to the tfl website you can pay up to 3 days after or 90 days in advance

Edited by _ORB_ on 15/05/2023 at 15:54

any - ulez - Bromptonaut

As ORB points out. the TFL website says you have until midnight on day #3 to pay.

What part of the rules is being relied on to say you've infringed the rules by creating an account and paying within that timescale?

any - ulez - barney100

I set up an account at around 1 am after we got home. I rang as soon as I could the next morning to be told by their agent that payment is due on the same day, I got a letter later fining me £90. To be fair I knew of the existence of the ulez but the car park we used was advertised as not in it, I was captured at around 11.20 pm in a ulez, not being familiar with London my trusty sat nav was used. I was not in any ulez going. It is useful to know that TFL says 3 days when their agent says payment is due on the day which answers your question on the rules. I am appealing the fine of £90 but accept the £15 for straying into an ulez. Thanks for the TFL info.

any - ulez - Ian_SW

Out of interest what was the actual route?

It must have been some diversion. The M3 doesn't start until Sunbury (well outside the current ULEZ) and there is a relatively straightforward diversion to the M25 skirting around the edge of Staines past the reservoirs on the A308.

Even if you end up heading the other way on the A316 towards London, it's possible to get all the way to the South Circular nearly at Chiswick, around the south circular a couple of miles to the north and back out on the M4 without entering the ULEZ.

any - ulez - barney100

You obviously know London well, I haven't driven there for many years. Also as luck would have it the M3 was closed that night making a detour via Guildford the way back.

any - ulez - barney100

The route going was up the M3 and just followed the sat nav to Wembley, no problem with ulez. I set up the sat nav to come home but it used a different route, that's where the problem occurred.

any - ulez - Big John

You have two options on the website:-

Set up Auto Pay - which I suspect you did, but I think this is for future journeys.

Pay charges - This is for a one off payment for a recent Congestion Charge, ULEZ or LEZ journey.

any - ulez - sammy1

How supercar owners dodge the Ulez charge despite massive CO2 emissions | Daily Mail Online

ULEZ is nothing but a money grabbing exercise which is grossly unfair to the majority. All this Carbon? emissions is fine but should be phased in at a much slower rate. There are two oil fields in a state in the east middle east that have stopped flaming off the gas from its wells These 2 oil fields are apparently giving out more carbon than the whole of the UK in a year