What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Using Google Maps overseas on iPhone - autumnboy
Last year travelled to Canada and had a hire car.
Although requested a car with GPS navigation.
The car used Siri for me to use Apple maps on the onboard navigation display.
This I used and setup my travel plan using WiFi at the hotel before departure. If I changed to another destination or return route to hotel etc. I had to turn on my roaming for the map to come up on the display.

Because of this I got stung for roaming charges, if I had GPS like TomTom/Garmin device then no charge.

Is there anyway of using Google maps overseas with no roaming charges on my iPhone to plan routes to destinations.
Using Google Maps overseas on iPhone - Adampr

Yes

support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en-GB&am...d

Using Google Maps overseas on iPhone - mcb100
Always amusing listening to Google Maps’ voice pronouncing Spanish road names.
Using Google Maps overseas on iPhone - Crickleymal

I use a free satnav called Magic Earth. You can download maps for just about anywhere and works on my android phone. It doesn't always get the speed limits right but that's what your eyes are for.

Edited by Crickleymal on 14/05/2023 at 21:37

Using Google Maps overseas on iPhone - Manatee

Main thing is to download maps for Googlemaps for offline use before you leave home, for which you will of course need several GB of storage on your phone. Android phones with an SD card slot might be a better proposition for this than non-expandable iphones.

Anyone stuck with a phone with insufficient storage might find it easier just to buy a £100 satnav with the necessary maps on it.

Roaming costs aside, tourist areas often have poor coverage for mobile data. I will be making sure I have the necessary maps downloaded to Google maps before we set off through the Alps in a few weeks.

Using Google Maps overseas on iPhone - autumnboy
The previous trips made overseas, I’ve always used my TomTom with no issues.
But then when we pick up our rental car, most had GPS navigation although not requested. So TomTom was stashed away not needed.
Last year although I specified a car with GPS navigation, which it did. But had to use my phone linked as an app. Took the rental company 45mins for my phone to handshake with car. I was given the choice of having a Garmin, with a charge because they saying the car had GPS as requested, Garmin was an extra.
Every time we planned a destination, had to be done under a wifi. But return or alternative destinations while on route used cellular data and got stung.
So in future any overseas, travel I will be with my TT.
Using Google Maps overseas on iPhone - _

A few years ago, when I went to the states and Canada (2019) my roaming covered canada only,, so bought a $29.95 cellphone with some data and minutes. did the trick for 2 weeks.