What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - Steveieb

Speaking to an Australian who was visiting Goodwood Festival he told me that Honda are closing their dealerships in Australia and customers must order on line! Maybe a forerunner of abandoning their presence in that country

Isnt this what Tesla are doing over here.

Also very little demand for JLR products as they are perceived to be too unreliable.

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - movilogo

Traditional dealerships are not necessary anymore.

People can buy online, collect from a place (which can serve multiple marques) and for mechanical problem, service etc. they can again visit a workshop which handles multiple marques.

Genesis is trying to get a foothold in UK and they claim they will collect car for service/issues rather than customer taking to dealers (may be because they have only 2-3 dealers in whole of UK at present). In reality they will probably use nearest Hyundai/Kia dealership.

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - groaver

People can buy online, collect from a place (which can serve multiple marques) and for mechanical problem, service etc. they can again visit a workshop which handles multiple marques.

What if you want to try the actual car before you buy?

I haven't bought a VR headset yet!

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - RT

I haven't bought a VR headset yet!

Manufacturers can (already do) organise demonstrators using the big hire companies - in the days when I had company cars, Vauxhall organised several 48 hour hires for me to try specific models - other brands often do the same.

If there are no dealerships surely it is gong to take an awful lot of external companies to arrange the test drives?

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - movilogo

You just visit somewhere - which could be anywhere where manufacturers will have some cars to try. This could even be freelancers bringing the car to your home for test drive.

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - mcb100
‘ This could even be freelancers bringing the car to your home for test drive.’

If you’re really lucky, it could be me.
A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - Engineer Andy

Genesis is trying to get a foothold in UK and they claim they will collect car for service/issues rather than customer taking to dealers (may be because they have only 2-3 dealers in whole of UK at present). In reality they will probably use nearest Hyundai/Kia dealership.

I'm also wondering whether the 'Panedmic' way of doing test drives - by which I mean you have to pay to get one - is encouraging sellers that most punters are stup1d and naive enough to buy just believing the sales blurb / patois but to still fleece, ahem, I mean 'charge' them the same amount as when they have glass palaces to pay for? Presumably the same people who buy furniture like sofas and bed without trying them out first in the shop.

You make far less amount of and level of mistakes if you can have a thorough look over the car in person and are able to get decent length test drives on spec so you can look at a good few different cars / makes in one day for a decent comparison.

Whilst cars, and especially EVs, are getting more and more filled with tech, they aren't the same as a computer or TV.

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - mcb100
Most manufacturers have a ‘buy online’ section on their websites, and then you have brands without a dealer network (Polestar, for example) where a car can be taken to a customer’s house for a test drive and can only be ordered online.
But I suspect we’ll have a combination of ‘bricks and clicks’ for a good while yet.
A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - Terry W

For many, cars are increasingly just expensive white goods.

Performance and driving dynamics are an irrelevancy as most cars are entirely capable of vastly exceeding both the owners driving skill and speed limit.

Key decision issues are likely to be:

• size/capacity for passengers, luggage and towing (in some cases)
  • brand, street cred, image
  • price and running costs

Dealer glass palaces are expensive to build and staff. Improvements in car reliability mean that they may only see the inside of a workshop every two years - the opportunities for selling existing customers a replacement are limited.

All companies are cutting dealer networks. Online sales, refundable rental test drives etc supported by perhaps 20 regional showrooms, for a major manufacturer (eg: Ford) may be the future.

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - sammy1

"""All companies are cutting dealer networks. Online sales, refundable rental test drives etc supported by perhaps 20 regional showrooms, for a major manufacturer (eg: Ford) may be the future."""

Yes! Modern cars don't have any problems so lets leave our customers with nowhere to go. The AI answer phone will sort them out no problem.

Where do you go to see the car of your dreams in the flesh. Wait until one flashes by down the mway? Time was showrooms had a good selection of models to test drive.

By all accounts the car market is going to be flooded with cheap EVs from China so if we do end up with a white goods market cars will be cheaper, well before taxes that is.

Has anyone seen the photos of the new VW ID 7 Big car £50k plus with a 15inch screen to run it ala Tesla. How very original. Nice looking car from the outside but that TV on the dash is a no no from me, they look totally out of place and in my opinion spoil the interior . Why can't they keep these screens, if they must have them below the lines of the dash.

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - Adampr

"" Why can't they keep these screens, if they must have them below the lines of the dash.

I'm going to go with "so you can see it".

I agree, though, they're awful. Bring back buttons.

I'm also not fond of the idea of buying solely online. When I bought my Karoq, I spent a lot of time looking on Cazoo and Cinch but couldn't bring myself to order something. I wanted to test drive cars and can't do that with photos. I appreciate that you can return the car if you don't like it, but it all sounds a bit of a pain and I can imagine they try to keep you as a customer once you've returned one, meaning you get bombarded with phone calls and emails.

One way it could work is for the manufacturers to do away with franchises and sales people and just have 'demonstration centres' where you can arrange test drives (and get servicing afterwards). All ordering etc would be done at home. The problem with that is of course higher overheads, which is what they're trying to avoid.

Now I think about it, didn't Daewoo have a similar (and not very successful) approach?

May be the article below will have some bearing on future dealerships

Disgruntled electric car owners made a record number of complaints about their vehicles in the first three months of 2023, ombudsman confirms (msn.com)

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - SmithyBilly

Hey, thanks for the response! Yeah, it's pretty wild to hear that Honda is closing their dealerships in Australia and going all online. Times are changing, that's for sure. And Tesla, they've been doing the online sales thing for a while now, disrupting the traditional dealership model.

As for JLR, it's a shame to hear that their products are perceived as unreliable. But you're right, perceptions can vary, and it's important to dig into the facts before jumping to conclusions.

It's definitely an interesting time in the auto industry, with all these shifts in sales strategies. I'm curious to see how it all plays out.

Disgruntled electric car owners made a record number of complaints about their vehicles in the first three months of 2023, ombudsman confirms (msn.com)

In what way? The article appears to be about the number of complaints about EVs increasing in line with to the number of EVs, which is entirely unremarkable.

How does that relate to physical dealerships closing down?

In what way? The article appears to be about the number of complaints about EVs increasing in line with to the number of EVs, which is entirely unremarkable.

How does that relate to physical dealerships closing down?

Well if you are a manufacturer and you have complaints coming your way how are you going to fix then unless you palm them off. But who will have the the manufacturers knowledges and ""secrets"" of their brand. The article is hardly a recommendation to buy an EV as things stand. You would think that with less parts to go wrong in your EV buying one would be an advantage over an Ice car. As a paying customer of an high value product I would expect some serious back up before I bought such a product. I would not want to wait around for weeks as some are nor wait for 6months or a lot longer for the product. If dealerships are closing like Honda then so are their sales.

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - alan1302

Could be that now there are more of them - there are more complaints...if 1% of people compan about there car...then 100 cars sales means 1 compaint and 200 sales - 2 complaints...so more complaints...but the same percentage of complaints.

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - alan1302

By all accounts the car market is going to be flooded with cheap EVs from China so if we do end up with a white goods market cars will be cheaper, well before taxes that is.

Will make EnginerAndy happy.

For many, cars are increasingly just expensive white goods.

Performance and driving dynamics are an irrelevancy as most cars are entirely capable of vastly exceeding both the owners driving skill and speed limit.

Key decision issues are likely to be:

• size/capacity for passengers, luggage and towing (in some cases)
  • brand, street cred, image
  • price and running costs

Dealer glass palaces are expensive to build and staff. Improvements in car reliability mean that they may only see the inside of a workshop every two years - the opportunities for selling existing customers a replacement are limited.

All companies are cutting dealer networks. Online sales, refundable rental test drives etc supported by perhaps 20 regional showrooms, for a major manufacturer (eg: Ford) may be the future.

How exactly can a punter determine ride or seating quality, the ergnonomics or utilisation of the space rear seating and boot) without physicaly trying them out first? Similar with the handling and driving position?

One thing I've noticed over the last two decades is how many more people buy after doing little, if any of the above, never mind a decent length test drive on a variety of different types of roads/surface to get a good feel of what the car what be like to own.

My 80yo dad being one of them, I'm afraid to say, and like all those others, he will be seriously out of pocket should he trade in for A N Other car, given what he bought was relatively new and a higher spec version of a car make not known for its ability to hold its value. IMHO he could end up wasting £5k - £7k depending on what he does, not helped by buying at the top of the market when he didn't need to.

A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - SLO76
There’s no passion to the car industry anymore, it’s dominated by accountants and government legislators. I loved the 80’s and 90’s with local and national car shows, booming car showrooms, glossy brochures, dynamic adverts (405 burning corn field) and cars that stirred your soul.

Today cars are unaffordable to buy, they’re almost 100% leased or PCP (a more expensive lease) from new and there are no genuine fun cars left. No affordable small hot hatches (205 GTi) or sports saloons (Cavalier SRi), hardly any manual gearboxes, all heading to auto hybrids or full EV. All appliances with no joy involved in buying or keeping - not owning. I’m glad I lived through the hay days of the car.
There’s no passion to the car industry anymore, it’s dominated by accountants and government legislators. I loved the 80’s and 90’s with local and national car shows, booming car showrooms, glossy brochures, dynamic adverts (405 burning corn field) and cars that stirred your soul. Today cars are unaffordable to buy, they’re almost 100% leased or PCP (a more expensive lease) from new and there are no genuine fun cars left. No affordable small hot hatches (205 GTi) or sports saloons (Cavalier SRi), hardly any manual gearboxes, all heading to auto hybrids or full EV. All appliances with no joy involved in buying or keeping - not owning. I’m glad I lived through the hay days of the car.

I agree with almost entirely what you state SLO76 apart from no genuine fun cars.

My BRZ (now GR86 only, here) and current MX-5 are ridiculously good fun and great to drive.

Perhaps niche but still there albeit the GR86 is nigh on impossible to get new.

Edited by groaver on 18/04/2023 at 18:18

There’s no passion to the car industry anymore, it’s dominated by accountants and government legislators. I loved the 80’s and 90’s with local and national car shows, booming car showrooms, glossy brochures, dynamic adverts (405 burning corn field) and cars that stirred your soul. Today cars are unaffordable to buy, they’re almost 100% leased or PCP (a more expensive lease) from new and there are no genuine fun cars left. No affordable small hot hatches (205 GTi) or sports saloons (Cavalier SRi), hardly any manual gearboxes, all heading to auto hybrids or full EV. All appliances with no joy involved in buying or keeping - not owning. I’m glad I lived through the hay days of the car.

I agree with almost entirely what you state SLO76 apart from no genuine fun cars.

My BRZ (now GR86 only, here) and current MX-5 are ridiculously good fun and great to drive.

Perhaps niche but still there albeit the GR86 is nigh on impossible to get new.

Perhaps, but neither are exactly affordable for the aspiring driver under 40 unless you're a lucnky professional who got on the housing ladder early. I miss the days of the early - mid 2000s - mid 210s with loads of affordable, good looking, quick, safe cars.

I really should've bought a Civic Type R - only £15.5k when I paid £10k for my standard Mazda3 1.6 petrol. Or perhaps a Seat Leon SC 1.4/1.8 FR.

Oh well, now just buying online for sofas with steering wheels and TV screens for £30k minimum - yea!

My MX-5 was less than 25k. Not cheap but compare that with a similar model 10 years ago.

It was actually the reference to "fun" I was arguing with anyway.

“I really should've bought a Civic Type R - only £15.5k when I paid £10k for my standard Mazda3 1.6 petrol.“

You really should’ve, the EP3 Civic Type R was and still is a belter of a hot hatch. You could’ve had a little known gem from the local Mazda dealer too though, the Mazda 3 2.0 Sport was a fantastic all rounder. It wasn’t much heavier on juice than the 1.6 but offered a fair chunk of extra pull, just enough to enjoy that fantastic handling, steering and gear change. The Civic 2.0 Type S 5dr was similar.
“I agree with almost entirely what you state SLO76 apart from no genuine fun cars.

My BRZ (now GR86 only, here) and current MX-5 are ridiculously good fun and great to drive.”

I’ll give you them, both are brilliant cars. But both are pretty expensive now. A small mild/hot hatch only cost a few grand more than their more mainstream variants and huge smiles could gained from every mile covered. Today the few hot hatches that are still available are ludicrously overpriced and overpowered.
“I agree with almost entirely what you state SLO76 apart from no genuine fun cars. My BRZ (now GR86 only, here) and current MX-5 are ridiculously good fun and great to drive.” I’ll give you them, both are brilliant cars. But both are pretty expensive now. A small mild/hot hatch only cost a few grand more than their more mainstream variants and huge smiles could gained from every mile covered. Today the few hot hatches that are still available are ludicrously overpriced and overpowered.

Again, that's very true.

The other consideration is that what would have been then a wam or hottish hatch if you look to acceleration times and top speeds, can often be found in a mundane hatch these days.

Our 123hp Leon with a 1.4 engine us quicker than an old Golf GTI.

You are correct however that complexity and weight have dulled many an enjoyable class of car.

Don't get me started on cuvs!

“ The other consideration is that what would have been then a wam or hottish hatch if you look to acceleration times and top speeds, can often be found in a mundane hatch these days.

Our 123hp Leon with a 1.4 engine us quicker than an old Golf GTI.”

It’s more the feel than power. Modern cars with their electric steering over hydraulic or unassisted racks have no feel. They’re often overpowered and artificial in feeling with all the electronic trickery such as traction and stability control. Power doesn’t equal fun in my view. I’d sooner take an old Peugeot 306 GTi-6 or Renault Clio 16v down a winding B road than todays 300bhp plus £50k upwards hot hatches. In fact the best fun I’ve had behind the wheel was at the helm of of a Metro 1.4 GTA or Pug 106 XSi back in the day. Foot to the floor fun.
A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - FoxyJukebox
So if there are no dealerships, where do you go to get manufacturer service plans done, guarantee work undertaken and any recalls dealt with?
A glimpse of the future for car dealerships - expat

Speaking to an Australian who was visiting Goodwood Festival he told me that Honda are closing their dealerships in Australia and customers must order on line! Maybe a forerunner of abandoning their presence in that country

I am in Australia and that is correct about Honda. Also they have dropped the Jazz which was a best seller here and have jacked up the price of the Civic to almost double what it used to be. The result is a 40% drop in sales. I would not be surprised if they pull out of Australia.