What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The truth about electric car range - Steveieb

New independent report from Which describes the rift between official range figures and real world.

www.which.co.uk%2Fnews%2f***icle%2Frevealed-the-truth-about-electric-car-mileage-aC1bt9t5jU50&usg=AOvVaw0hgBcBmiXLakTLq1fShA0N" target="_blank">https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjpyLSHjoj-AhWBR8AKHZ8DCdcQFnoECDUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.which.co.uk%2Fnews%2f***icle%2Frevealed-the-truth-about-electric-car-mileage-aC1bt9t5jU50&usg=AOvVaw0hgBcBmiXLakTLq1fShA0N

one subscriber describes driving an EV on a journey from Sussex to Yorkshire as like going back to the sixties , with restrictions on the use of the heater and radio to conserve battery capacity.

Sorry problems with the link . Can someone help please .

Here is the report from todays Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/electric-car-ranges-20-lower-than-advertised-8dptvjn39

The truth about electric car range - mcb100
It’s still behind a paywall, but I think we’ve all seen the sentiment before.
No, EV’s don’t achieve the published, and mandated, WLTP results. But neither do petrols or diesels.
Non-story, I’d imagine.
The truth about electric car range - badbusdriver
It’s still behind a paywall, but I think we’ve all seen the sentiment before. No, EV’s don’t achieve the published, and mandated, WLTP results. But neither do petrols or diesels. Non-story, I’d imagine.

Yes, done to death.

Everyone knows that manufacturers quoted EV range or mpg is not achievable in the real world.

The truth about electric car range - RT
It’s still behind a paywall, but I think we’ve all seen the sentiment before. No, EV’s don’t achieve the published, and mandated, WLTP results. But neither do petrols or diesels. Non-story, I’d imagine.

Yes, done to death.

Everyone knows that manufacturers quoted EV range or mpg is not achievable in the real world.

Nothing new - the manufacturers are forced to test to the flawed RDE/WLTP test methods and cannot publish real world figures - it was true for petrol/diesel cars and is equally true for EVs.

The truth about electric car range - sammy1

Done to death it may be but when Tesla quote figures of 331 for its Y model and 231 is the realistic figure it does make you think Also the model 3 Which finds 374 to 260. Wrap it up as much as you like a third of the range gone in the advertising ought to be illegal!

The truth about electric car range - alan1302

Wrap it up as much as you like a third of the range gone in the advertising ought to be illegal!

The advertising shows the official fugures which are the only ones that they can show so you can't ban the advert as they are factual. You need to change the tests, not the adverts. People need to educate themselves a bit better when buying cars and not rely on adverts alone.

The truth about electric car range - Theophilus
EV’s don’t achieve the published, and mandated, WLTP results. But neither do petrols or diesels. Non-story, I’d imagine.

I agree that the figures for ICE vehicles are also unrealistically optimistic (though less than these EV tests would suggest) - and having recently purchased a property with a charging point already installed I would potentially be interested

... however the difference between ICE & EV range that still prevents me from exploring a change is that (for the next few years!) filling stations are much more widely available than fast charging points, and even with a fast charger I would need to schedule at least 30 minutes on a longer journey to recharge rather than <5 minutes to fill up with petrol (and unlike electricity I can carry a fuel can with another 5l of fuel in the boot).

Blame the test procedure and not the manufacturers.
The only figures they can legally quote are the results of the WLTP test, and as a manufacturer you’re going to aim to get the best WLTP numbers.
They’re still useful as a comparison tool, in that a car that does 80% of 300 miles will go further than one that does 80% of 270.
The truth about electric car range - Sofa Spud

I don't have an electric car yet but hope to have one in 2-3 years time.

As with MPG figures for petrol and diesel cars, I take the battery range figures as being the maximum range you could hope to get in ideal conditions.

The truth about electric car range - sammy1

I don't have an electric car yet but hope to have one in 2-3 years time.

As with MPG figures for petrol and diesel cars, I take the battery range figures as being the maximum range you could hope to get in ideal conditions.

I would take the Which figure and start looking for a charger having knocked 30 miles of that so for the Tesla Y quoted above 200 miles seems realistic for the top of the range EV. Be interesting to see if anyone who drives one could give a figure

Here are some of the figures

Tesla Model 3 (19,701)
Advertised range: 374
Tested range: 260 miles

3 Kia Niro (11,197)
Advertised range: 285 miles
Estimated range: 165-350 miles*

4 Volkswagen ID.3 (9,832)
Advertised range: 265
Tested range: 209

5 Nissan Leaf (9,178)
Advertised range: 239
Tested range: 187

The truth about electric car range - RT

Here are some of the figures

Tesla Model 3 (19,701)
Advertised range: 374
Tested range: 260 miles

3 Kia Niro (11,197)
Advertised range: 285 miles
Estimated range: 165-350 miles*

4 Volkswagen ID.3 (9,832)
Advertised range: 265
Tested range: 209

5 Nissan Leaf (9,178)
Advertised range: 239
Tested range: 187

The use of "advertised" is misleading - you should use the terms "official tested" and unofficial tested" - the problem is the official test.

The truth about electric car range - Adampr

Those figures are (roughly) about 75% of the official range. Now go and look at the real MPG figures on this site. I'm not going to record and average them all, but about 75% seems thereabouts. As others have said, it's WLTP that's the issue.

The truth about electric car range - Xileno

"They’re still useful as a comparison tool, in that a car that does 80% of 300 miles will go further than one that does 80% of 270."

I seem to recall HJ himself made this point some years ago. The figures are still useful for relative comparisons.

The other change of mindset is whereby an ICE will usually give better economy at a steady motorway type cruise and worse around town, an EV is usually the other way around.
Simple reason - it’s under load more of the time, even if it’s relatively light load, and doesn’t get change to regenerate very often, whilst every time a driver steps off the accelerator in a stop-start environment the spare momentum is putting charge back into the battery.
A recent drive in a Polestar 2 Single Motor Long range (WLTP up to 335 miles) would have done about 240 if I’d driven it from 100% battery to stopping. The temperature was just above zero, I had climate set to 21 degrees and sat at the speed limit on motorways, dual & single national speed limit roads.
I’d have expected it to have gone further if I spent the day in a town/city environment.
It also would have gone further had I been able to precondition the car, and more importantly, the battery.

Edited by mcb100 on 02/04/2023 at 11:41

The truth about electric car range - pd

Most mid range EVs tend to do between about 3 and 4 miles per kWh.

So it's pretty easy to work out that a 50kwh battery will do 150 miles on a bad day and 200 on a good.