What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Double Yellow Line Length-Is There A Legal Length? - ItsJinny

Hi there,

New here, but desperately looking for information or signposts. So I apologise if this is posted in the wrong place. I just have to get this information rather urgently as works begin on 23rd Feb 2023.

Im disabled and awaiting the result of a disabled Parking Bay Application. In the interim, last year, the Council issued notice, that they were going to encase the boundary of my property (I'm in a corner house) with double yellow lines. This is as a result of many years of complaining about my abusive nasty neighbours, who actually parked behind our family car, and deliberately barricaded our only entry and exit point. Nothing was ever done to help us - even when Ambulance Crews had to life my elderly Mother, and on another visit myself over our Garden Wall because they wouldn't move their car and just laughed in people's faces over it. And as they had multiple cars, sometimes we'd go for weeks without being able to leave our house. The Authorities did nothing, and shopping passed over our wall became the norm.

Anyway - our car has been parked literally in the same spot (obviously when we are home) since the 1970s. We have photos. We have never caused an obstruction, or been reported as such - but.. as a result of the complaints - our junction, has been targetted by the Council. No other Junction is being done.

In response we objected - and I actually put in detailed images and diagrams of the alternative length of the lines - that would A) keep the turn line unobstructed... B) keep our gateway clear C) allow us to still park the car, and D) still allow ample clearance behind around the corner for the Disabled Bay.

This was all refused. We were told to take it to the local councillors in late September. We emailed and rang and so on - even contacted the MP - and had no response, and I've been seriously ill with Covid twice since then too, and I'm also my Father's Carer, which obviously pushed it a litte out of my mind.

Then today, workers turn up with no parking cones placed around my house, and say they are road marking next week. Obviously I've contacted a shed load of people about it - asking for this to be delayed as also there are also large scale gasworks, right next to my house, on the other side of the road, with 2 big shipping containers in place, and fights for parking break out a lot currently.

My question is - Is there a legal length that no parking lines have to be - around corners - to keep sightlines clear.??? And is it written down in any legal place, I can signpost the council to?

This is the reason given for the lines - to keep sightlines clear. I have searched for ages - and can't find any reason why the lines have to be 10metres each side, especially in a 20mph residential street, on a very tight T-Junction where with or without my car, you can't see down the road in either direction. The Council insist it has to be that long, by law - but in later emails they just took to ignoring me when I asked which Law - then denying everything including the Petition the local Residents Association handed in, of around 40 people - nearly someone from every english speaking house in the street - and that they'd ever had a Disabled Parking Bay Application from me - inspite of 2 other Applications being refused because of 2 Objections from my vile neighbours, because it would stop them parking in front of our gate.

So right now - I fear this is a losing battle - but I have to try - and in order to try - I need to know if there is a legal requirement for length of road lines to stop parking, on corners of T-Junctions.

Thanks in advance. :)

Ford Focus - Double Yellow Line Length-Is There A Legal Length? - Brit_in_Germany

Sounds like they are enforcing Rule 243 of the Highway Code. Maybe they will implement the disabled parking space at the same time?

Ford Focus - Double Yellow Line Length-Is There A Legal Length? - Bromptonaut

Sounds like they are enforcing Rule 243 of the Highway Code. Maybe they will implement the disabled parking space at the same time?

That sounds right. Rule 243 says do not stop or park and then sets out a bulleted list including:

• Opposite or within ten metres of a junction except in an authorised parking place

I guess that's where their statement about the law comes from.

Ford Focus - Double Yellow Line Length-Is There A Legal Length? - mcb100
If you look here - www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-p...2 - it may point you to the relevant piece of legislation applicable.
The Highway Code, per se, isn’t legally binding.
Ford Focus - Double Yellow Line Length-Is There A Legal Length? - HGV ~ P Valentine

I know this is an old post but ..

There is no time on a double yellow ..

Double means 24 hour, 7day a week, 52 weeks of the year.

Single line means a timed restriction, there will be a plate telling you when it does or does not apply at the start of the line, and on long lines usually repeated.

Colour means : Red No Stopping, Yellow No parking.

So

Double yellow means you can never park there, but may use it to pick up or drop of passengers, but the driver must stay with the vehicle ( it is considered parked if there is no driver there to move the vehicle ), and once you have done what you stopped to do, you must move off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The legality of the lines is that it must be marked clearly, with a start and stop point, this mark will be 2 lines runnig away from the kerb no further then the line f***hest away form the kerb that runs parallel, this line is unlawful if if is broken on any part of the line.

If you wish to appeal you must do so in writing to the council ( not the police or the highways agency ) sending pictures of the break in either of the lines, or the end where the start and stop markings of the restiction should be.

Edited by HGV ~ P Valentine on 01/02/2023 at 17:44

Ford Focus - Double Yellow Line Length-Is There A Legal Length? - alan1302

Not sure 19th January this year makes it an old post :-)

Ford Focus - Double Yellow Line Length-Is There A Legal Length? - badbusdriver

Not sure 19th January this year makes it an old post :-)

A lengthy reply, but apparently hasn't understood what the OP is asking. Which is nothing to do with, how long one can park on a double yellow.

The OP is asking if there is a legal minimum length (distance, not time) from the junction the double yellows have to be. Being disabled, they need to park at their house which is close to the junction. But the proposal for putting double yellows round the junction will prevent them from doing so (legally).

For the OP, I'd suggest maybe taking it up with a local MP?.