What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - Jerry Dunham

Hi all, we have an e-Golf on 3 year PCH which should have been collected about 2 months ago however for whatever reason, VWFS still haven't managed to arrange collection. We have continued to use it, however it now needs all new pads and discs (£600), a cost we would not have incurred had the vehicle been collected when it should have. Do we have a basis to try and claim this cost from VWFS?

VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - badbusdriver

First, I'm very surprised that an EV needs all new discs and pads after 3 years. Surely brake regen takes care of most slowing down and therefore extend the life of discs and pads?.

But I think this will boil down to what is a normal time for a set of discs/pads to last. If they shouldn't need replaced so soon, VWFS could say it is down to your driving that they need replaced. But if this is an average lifespan for them, you may have a case.

VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - Engineer Andy

First, I'm very surprised that an EV needs all new discs and pads after 3 years. Surely brake regen takes care of most slowing down and therefore extend the life of discs and pads?.

But I think this will boil down to what is a normal time for a set of discs/pads to last. If they shouldn't need replaced so soon, VWFS could say it is down to your driving that they need replaced. But if this is an average lifespan for them, you may have a case.

Maybe low mileage (long periods of sitting idle outside) leads to the discs getting corroded and warped, which might wear the pad as a result. That has happened on my Mazda3 to a degree, and it's only done 73,000 miles in 17 years. I recall Hyundai i10s / Kia Picantos having brake issues like sticking (mine does too when used sparingly).

Not sure whether EVs' addition of regen brakingthe normal discs and pads are used even less and can be more susceptible to this issue or not. Maybe it depends on the design of the system and components. I mean, some ICE cars seem to have little problems with low use whilst others have quite a lot.

VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - mcb100
Have you been in regular communication with VWFS? Or have you just not heard anything from them?
Do they know you’re still using it, even though the agreement has expired?
It seems to me that communication between the two parties is key to this.
I’m also a little surprised that it needs discs & pads - have you been driving it at minimum regeneration constantly?
VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - gordonbennet

How do you know it needs new discs and pads, have VW confirmed that, if so presumably at one of their workshops, why couldn't you have just left the vehicle with them as it was due back.

Are you sure the agreement is up now (and not 12 months hence), seems odd not collecting such a valuable vehicle.

VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - Bromptonaut

There was a lot of this during Covid. A neighbour had a PHEV Mitsubishi where the lease expired in March 2020 on his drive until June.

If it were mine I wouldn't drive it and would make clear to VW that they were 'on risk' for fire, theft etc. I'd expect that, having added miles outwith your lease, VW would charge you for them.

As to the brakes I'm not going to offer an opinion on why they're worn but for myself I'm quite capable of assessing pad/disc wear through the alloy's spokes. Last time I wore pads right down (Xantia?) there was a warning as contacts in the last few mm of the pads touched the disc.

VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - paul 1963

Presumably you also stopped paying for it 2 months ago as well? If so then you shouldn't have been driving it as its no longer yours, not that it ever was but you get the point?

I suspect the collection has got lost in the system, as for the worn brakes, no matter why there worn I can't see why you wouldn't be responsible for there replacement....all my personal opinion of course...

VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - elekie&a/c doctor
Whoever is responsible for paying for the job or whether or not they need replacement, repair of front and rear brake pads and discs is a great money spinner for the dealer . A good tech can probably do the whole job in an hour or so , you’ll likely be charged about 3 . As they are fast moving parts , the dealer will be on maximum discount.
VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - gordonbennet
Whoever is responsible for paying for the job or whether or not they need replacement, repair of front and rear brake pads and discs is a great money spinner for the dealer . A good tech can probably do the whole job in an hour or so , you’ll likely be charged about 3 . As they are fast moving parts , the dealer will be on maximum discount.

Makes one wonder if it would be worth slipping a set of good quality pattern discs and pads on oneself before a mighty bill arrives from the dealer if they really are worn out.

VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - Brit_in_Germany

Would it have needed pads and discs if you hadn't driven it?

VW e-Golf - Late collection of PCH car - Palcouk

A PCH car, is owned by the leasing Company and uless you had written confirmation that it could be used after the PCH period, you have no right to use it, it would have no tax, unless there has been a complete fowl up by theleasing company, and it may not be in insured as a result of the PCH ending. You would be liable for any repairs/damage