What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Private Sale-the critical questions when buying? - FoxyJukebox
Research done, sale spotted, inspection and test drive “arranged”. It’s taxed, says it has full service history, and the MOT site is reporting clear passes and no advisables.
What should the owner be asked?
Private Sale-the critical questions when buying? - skidpan
It’s taxed

It's not once it changes ownership. It will need insuring and taxing before you drive off.

Private Sale-the critical questions when buying? - elekie&a/c doctor
WHO’s name on the registration document V 5 ?
Private Sale-the critical questions when buying? - Adampr

The obvious things are:

• Where did they get it
  • Why are they selling
  • Have they had any problems
  • What work has been done to it whilst they've owned it

Basically, though, I think you can ask them almost anything about the car and just see if the lie to you or not

Private Sale-the critical questions when buying? - Xileno

Relating to the last point, I would ask if the car has seen a bodyshop. If the car is a cheap one then I wouldn't be so bothered but if you're spending a decent amount then I would. Being in an accident wouldn't bother me in itself, it's the quality of the repair.

Private Sale-the critical questions when buying? - JimChantal

If it's a private buy then I tend to judge the person who's selling it almost as much as the car; nice, well-kept home is good, but multiple cars parked up, spray cans discarded in the garden then it's a no. I'm not bothered about why they say they're selling it, but I am interested in any history and the longer it's been owned, the better. One quick check is the tyres - if they are all the same manufacturer and type, that's a very good sign. And i also am prepared to walk away if anything is amiss - there are plenty other buys out there, even in a heated market. Good luck.

Private Sale-the critical questions when buying? - Andrew-T

Is the seller the owner or keeper, and is the car for sale at its registered address ? Any tales of being sold for a friend or relative may be genuine, but need explanation.

I would only buy a relatively cheap car privately - say under £3K. Cars worth more commonly sell through the trade, so one asks why not this one ? Again, very plausible, but then there is the question of how payment is made.