What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Change road tax rate due to change of CO2 emmision - Russeler

Anyone know if it is possible to change the road tax rate on a car if the band of CO2 emmisions has changed

Thanks

Or better still how do you change the band of CO2 emmisions on the log book first

Edited by Russeler on 07/08/2022 at 19:25

Change road tax rate due to change of CO2 emmision - FP

As far as I know - but happy to be corrected if I'm wrong - the emission band assigned to a car on its first registration stays with it, irrespective of whether there are subsequent changes to the system or the vehicle.

Change road tax rate due to change of CO2 emmision - Bromptonaut

As far as I know - but happy to be corrected if I'm wrong - the emission band assigned to a car on its first registration stays with it, irrespective of whether there are subsequent changes to the system or the vehicle.

That's right.

As a public servant I had somewhat fractious correspondence with somebody who had a VW car registered before a change where, had it been a few months later at first registration, it would have been liable for approx half the VED it actually was.

Not the answer I was looking for but thanks for letting me know
Change road tax rate due to change of CO2 emmision - Engineer Andy

That's right.

As a public servant I had somewhat fractious correspondence with somebody who had a VW car registered before a change where, had it been a few months later at first registration, it would have been liable for approx half the VED it actually was.

Perhaps the only way to get it changed would be to go through the expensive certification process used by small manufacturers / grey importers of cars normally not sold in the UK /EU.

Even if that were possible (e.g. if someone took out the IC engine of a 'classic' [not those zero VED rated] car and replaced it with electric traction), it surely would cost far more than any monetary savings from a lower or zero VED rate.

Change road tax rate due to change of CO2 emmision - mcb100
I’m more curious as to how the emissions have changed? Different type of engine fitted, perhaps?
Yes different engine was the plan. Infact no engine. Actully I am looking for some storage space and to buy an old scrap luton box van then take the engine out and class it as zero emmisons. But looks like that idea wont work

Unless I can find a very low emmisions car (then add trailer) that is speares or repairs. But that woud be quite a new car and at S&R worth quite a bit more then scrap value
Change road tax rate due to change of CO2 emmision - Crickleymal

If the vehicle is just been used as storage space and not being moved then you can SORN it and not pay tax. Or am I missing something?

Yes if it where SORN then I would have to find somewhere to park it

Change road tax rate due to change of CO2 emmision - Manatee

If it's on the road won't it need an MoT? Could be tricky without an engine.

Change road tax rate due to change of CO2 emmision - focussed

If it hasn't got an engine it's not possible to MOT it because it's not a motor vehicle.

That should be an interesting legal challenge, that should occupy the public servants for years!

Change road tax rate due to change of CO2 emmision - RT

If it hasn't got an engine it's not possible to MOT it because it's not a motor vehicle.

That should be an interesting legal challenge, that should occupy the public servants for years!

Without an engine, it's effectively a 4-wheel trailer which can be parked on the public highway, as long as it's not causing an obstruction, but needs lights at night, even in 30mph street-lit areas.

if you leave a trailer/ caraven on the public highway unatached to a trailer the the council will be allong to remove it

Change road tax rate due to change of CO2 emmision - RT

if you leave a trailer/ caraven on the public highway unatached to a trailer the the council will be allong to remove it

Only where they have by-laws - in other areas it's fairly common.