What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - badbusdriver

Came upon this YouTube video clip on an apparent tendency for various Hyundai and Kia models (in the USA) to catch fire.

watch

Not sure if the risk applies to UK cars, but most of the models mentioned are also sold in the UK (though not necessarily with the same engines).

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - Falkirk Bairn

Last week Ford USA recalling 39,000 "large pick-up trucks" due to some going on fire whilst charging. Owners told to re-charge them well away from buildings.

Last week a London battery bus being charged went of fire - took out another battery bus & 4 diesel buses.

Electric cars/PHEVs seem to have problems with some manufacturers.

Early days for many manufacturers I suppose but once on fire there seems little can be done until the fire extinguishes itself.

Last week Ford USA recalling 39,000 "large pick-up trucks" due to some going on fire whilst charging. Owners told to re-charge them well away from buildings.

Last week a London battery bus being charged went of fire - took out another battery bus & 4 diesel buses.

Early days for many manufacturers I suppose but once on fire there seems little can be done until the fire extinguishes itself.

The video clip I posted was not about electric cars though.

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - Brit_in_Germany

Diesel buses burn too, e.g. www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/20156164.binfield-heath-.../

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - Engineer Andy

I read about the bus fires as they happened not too far away in Potters Bar bus garage, a hub for many buses going into London.

I also read (same article I think) that some EV buses (possibly abroad) have spontaneously combusted when not charging and not on particularly hot days either.

Rather a problem if you can't charge EVs 'near buildings', given that where most have to be.

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - nellyjak

Sobering and scary.....,had no idea.

Haven't heard of anything in the UK though.?

Would certainly make me hesitate to buy (not that I was doing)

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - _

Just before I sold the Sportage there was a recall for a fuse. To check and change re overheating of a circuit.

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - galileo

Electric bus fires seem to happen worldwide. Scary.

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paris+electri...e

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - Oli rag

I think the Hyundai / Kia fires relate to a 2.0 petrol engine, I read that there is a manufacturing problem which left swarf blocking oilways.

It’s a bit patchy as to whether this causes a con rod to come out the side of the block and oil getting on a hot area causing a fire. I’ve also heard about excessive friction causing a fire, but I’m not sure how?

Apparently there has been a number of recalls to deal with this, without actually stopping it happening.

I think the Hyundai / Kia fires relate to a 2.0 petrol engine, I read that there is a manufacturing problem which left swarf blocking oilways.

It’s a bit patchy as to whether this causes a con rod to come out the side of the block and oil getting on a hot area causing a fire. I’ve also heard about excessive friction causing a fire, but I’m not sure how?

Apparently there has been a number of recalls to deal with this, without actually stopping it happening.

There was mention in the video of oil coming through a hole in the block and ending up on the exhaust, causing the fire. But there is also one point where a fire investigator is looking at a car and says a fuel line coming loose and spraying petrol caused the fire. So it would seem there could be more than one problem.

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - Ethan Edwards

www.autoevolution.com/news/mclaren-p1-catches-fire...l

Another weird fire. So should we recall all the Mclaren P1's? No, we just have to accept that shirt happens and that is why we have Insurance.

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - expat

Electric bus fires seem to happen worldwide. Scary.

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paris+electri...e

Also natural gas buses

thewest.com.au/news/australia/gas-bus-fleet-off-th...0

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - edlithgow

Of course. If they have petrol in them.

Very dangerous stuff, petrol. They make napalm with it.

Edited by edlithgow on 26/05/2022 at 02:39

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - Catfood

I don’t think it’s limited to Hyundai & Kia but any car which equips LG Battery, notably VAG cars….

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2022/02/21/vw-says-premature-to-comment-on-report-electric-cars-started-atlantic-transporter-fire/?sh=210e8590258

Just a food for thought....

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - Engineer Andy

I think that one of the main design flaws that causes or exaccerbates vehicle fire is fuel storage tanks / containers or transfer pipes/conduits are often located in areas that are poorly insulated against outside heat sources and do not have decent heat shielding and/or active or passive cooling facilities.

It was one of the problems with the first generation Nissan Leaf as far as I remember, though more of a problem in hotter countries. Similarly with the spontaneous combustion of Lambos and other hypercars. Cars with high use of aluminium or magnesium parts (as well as lithium in batteries) will make it even worse because once alight, they are far more difficult to put out.

Whether the tightly-packed nature of cars being transported on that container ship and the possible lack of cooling ventilation made a reasonable difference, I don't know. I also recall those old 'bendy buses' previously ran in London often catching fire, though I'm not sure whether they were just diesel-powered, or used either hyrodgen or natural gas.

Is there a fire risk with UK Hyundai/Kia cars? - Ian_SW

The London bendy Buses were diesel powered, but I think the fires originated in the hydraulic suspension which kept the front and back sections level. However, once a fire had taken hold there was then a few hundred litres of diesel which made sure of a fairly significant fire.