What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Electrification going well in France - Steveieb

Think twice before boarding a bus in Paris

https://youtu.be/5r-yN8SugWM

Electrification going well in France - badbusdriver

My mate (who still drives for Stagecoach) was telling me the other day that a fleet of electric double deckers were going to be put into service in Aberdeen shortly.

Management were looking for drivers willing to drive them up from Kilmarnock. So presumably the range of these buses is more than that 170 mile journey.

Electrification going well in France - Falkirk Bairn

Some of the original Glasgow battery buses have the battery disconnected as they failed.

McGills buses in Greenock cannot get the power required at a "reasonable" price.

They have diesel generators at the depot charging the new fleet of Battery Buses as it is cheaper than the grid supply.

Green Buses & diesel generators!

COP26 attendees stayed at hotels all over Scotland - Electric Jags for those staying at Gleneagles Hotel in Perthshire did not have the capacity to charge the cars - diesel generators again. Perthshire is the HQ of SSE who claim to be a GREEN ENERGY company

Some of the original Glasgow battery buses have the battery disconnected as they failed.

McGills buses in Greenock cannot get the power required at a "reasonable" price.

They have diesel generators at the depot charging the new fleet of Battery Buses as it is cheaper than the grid supply.

Green Buses & diesel generators!

According to what my mate said (which may not be correct), Stagecoach wanted to install charging points at the bus station in Aberdeen. But the bus station is within the Union Square shopping centre (who own the site) and they wouldn't agree to it.

So they will be charged at the depot, which is about a mile away. No idea what the charging power will be provided by, but I have no doubt that if diesel generators are the cheapest way to do this, that is what Stagecoach will be using!.

Electrification going well in France - focussed

Think twice before boarding a bus in Paris

https://youtu.be/5r-yN8SugWM

It's the second one to catch fire in about a month in France.

.However, according to our information, another Bluebus had also been the cause of a fire in Germany on September 30, 2021, causing the destruction of 25 vehicles in Stuttgart. The police had estimated with "a high probability" that this was due to a " technical defect" , reported our colleagues from 20 Minutes .

Le Telegramme.

The images are intense and the cloud of black smoke that emerges impressive. A line 71 bus caught fire in the 13th arrondissement of Paris this Friday morning, mobilizing around thirty workers, according to the firefighters contacted by Le Parisien. It is a 100% electric bus, from the Bolloré brand Bluebus 5SE series, like the bus that burned down at the beginning of April . This afternoon, the RATP decided to temporarily withdraw from circulation the 149 Bolloré electric bluebuses that circulate on its network.

www.leparisien.fr/info-paris-ile-de-france-oise/tr...p

Edited by focussed on 02/05/2022 at 20:45

Electrification going well in France - Ian_SW

It's not just electric buses which catch fire. The "innovative" diesel powered bendy buses in London had a habit of doing this too in London nearly 20 years ago....

www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/24/transport.world

It's not just electric buses which catch fire. The "innovative" diesel powered bendy buses in London had a habit of doing this too in London nearly 20 years ago....

www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/24/transport.world

The difference between a diesel vehicle fire and a battery powered electric vehicle fire is that the diesel fire can be extinguished with normal firefighting techniques. The EV fires have to be left to burn out while being flooded with water.

Electrification going well in France - Terry W

Pollution, a large part of which is related to vehicle emissions, is estimated to kill several thousand each year in London alone.

Whilst I am personally slightly sceptical about the absolute number (pressure groups often exaggerate impacts), perhaps the occasional EV fire is a better deal than ICE emissions.

We need to look at the whole picture, not just that part which suits the conclusion we want!

Hi Terry,

Not going too well here too.

My son in law had five failed attempts to charge his Taycan between Scarborough and Nottingham last weekend and is falling out of love with the idea

Electrification going well in France - Bolt

Pollution, a large part of which is related to vehicle emissions, is estimated to kill several thousand each year in London alone.

Whilst I am personally slightly sceptical about the absolute number (pressure groups often exaggerate impacts), perhaps the occasional EV fire is a better deal than ICE emissions.

We need to look at the whole picture, not just that part which suits the conclusion we want!

I think a larger part is severe amounts of dust around our roads, using M25 A406 the other weekend everytime a car passed me, a cloud of dust arose from the wind and tyres which cannot be good to breathe in

So car pollution cant be blamed for all the problems

Probably the dust situation is made worse by the weight of the EV s and hybrids Bolt ?

Diesel particulates are a small fraction of the size of dust particles to which mankind has been exposed since the dawn of time (or homo-sapiens).

It is the smaller particles which tend to block the lungs and cause problems.

But what do scientists know when challenged by the intellectual high flying petrol head community.

Diesel particulates are a small fraction of the size of dust particles to which mankind has been exposed since the dawn of time (or homo-sapiens).

It is the smaller particles which tend to block the lungs and cause problems.

But what do scientists know when challenged by the intellectual high flying petrol head community.

I take it you have heard that modern petrol and diesel vehicles are equipped with diesel particulate filters?

I wonder if any investigative work has been done on the emission of particulate matter and toxic gases from burning lithium ion vehicle battery packs?

I wonder if any investigative work has been done on the emission of particulate matter and toxic gases from burning lithium ion vehicle battery packs?

I notice that is never mentioned as most people are so intent on seeing EVs on the road, comparing the dangers of EVs burning out is not thought about and one reason I think we are rushing into EVs too quickly as battery tech is coming along really quick now, but suspect people think if they don`t get one the earth will melt in a few months

one mention of problems about an ev and some think your anti EV, even though your only pointing out problems

personally I will be pleased to see the road full of EVs, though not looking forward to the power cuts even when the government decide to put limits on charging times of day

I notice that is never mentioned as most people are so intent on seeing EVs on the road, comparing the dangers of EVs burning out is not thought about and one reason I think we are rushing into EVs too quickly as battery tech is coming along really quick now, but suspect people think if they don`t get one the earth will melt in a few months

one mention of problems about an ev and some think your anti EV, even though your only pointing out problems

personally I will be pleased to see the road full of EVs, though not looking forward to the power cuts even when the government decide to put limits on charging times of day

The United Kingdom plans to pass legislation that will see EV home and workplace chargers being switched off at peak times to avoid blackouts.

insideevs.com/news/537120/ev-chargers-switched-off.../

The penny has dropped - there isn't enough electricity to go around.

And that's without millions of homes with heat pumps.

Electrification going well in France - Xileno

We don't need to worry, Boris is going to build us a new nuclear power station each year. www.cnbc.com/2022/05/02/boris-johnson-uk-will-buil...l

Now I admit I know nothing about nuclear power but I imagine the logistics of one build a year is, er, a bit optimistic. Have we even got the skills in the UK?

The United Kingdom plans to pass legislation that will see EV home and workplace chargers being switched off at peak times to avoid blackouts.

It was being talked about on radio last week, though no one really expects it to happen, I do, if we are struggling to supply the country even after being told were ok for supplies.

Some have mentioned paying vast amounts for heat pumps and not very happy with them, but as I do not know anyone who has one I`ve no idea if they are viable/any good- and would be inclined to wait for Hydrogen boilers which are now (I think) for sale as dual fuel boilers, I know they have been fitted on a new estate and tested as the estate is not connected to the mains gas!

Electrification going well in France - expat

"Some have mentioned paying vast amounts for heat pumps and not very happy with them, but as I do not know anyone who has one I`ve no idea if they are viable/any good-"

The person across the road from me has one and is happy with it but that is just a sample of one and hardly representative. Here in Australia they are used for hot water systems and are a good match for solar cells on the roof. Things are probably different if you tried to run central heating with it.

Electrification going well in France - Brit_in_Germany

As that article states, "However, users of home chargers will be able to override the pre-sets should they need to."

With smart meters, the simple solution is to incentivise people to charge at times of low grid demand by lowering the price.

Electrification going well in France - alan1302

I really don't understand the moaning about lack of electricity - you can build more generating capacity and that solves the problem.

I really don't understand the moaning about lack of electricity - you can build more generating capacity and that solves the problem.

I was under the impression that no companies were either willing to invest in power stations or interested in doing so, IIrc there was talk of persuading either the Chinese or/and Japs to invest here, but not sure what happened about that as all went quiet about it as far as I recall.

I was under the impression that no companies were either willing to invest in power stations or interested in doing so, IIrc there was talk of persuading either the Chinese or/and Japs to invest here, but not sure what happened about that as all went quiet about it as far as I recall.

If the government wants to encouraging investment it is easily done.

Electrification going well in France - Andrew-T

This is a Motoring forum, and we all like to drive around our roads. As long as we keep doing that we will contribute to the pollution we dislike. Face it or lump it. But one possibility is to try to drive less ?

But one possibility is to try to drive less ?

Might be a possibility, but unlikely to happen unless fuel prices prevent affording to run the motor, I certainly wont, but then there are those that drive cars much more fuel thirsty than mine is and thrash them around much more.

and as they really don`t seem to care (afford it or not) why should anyone else, which is the attitude most have, except the odd few, but then the odd few are not going to make any difference to pollution.

until a lot more electric vehicles go down in price with longer range, not much is going to change imo .... for a few years to come

I think a larger part is severe amounts of dust around our roads, using M25 A406 the other weekend everytime a car passed me, a cloud of dust arose from the wind and tyres which cannot be good to breathe in

So car pollution cant be blamed for all the problems

Dust from car tyres/brakes?

Electrification going well in France - Kekettykek

Just an idea. Instead of carrying heavy, expensive batteries around on buses, why not have electric cables suspended above the road with collector poles attached to the bus?

This would make the buses cheaper and lighter, they won't have to recharge, they will be lighter and less complex and not have problems like battery degradation.

I'm surprised no one has thought of this before.

What a brilliant idea !

Electrification going well in France - galileo

What a brilliant idea !

And in the hilly districts of the Yorkshire Pennines they could regenerate electricity going downhills!

Just an idea. Instead of carrying heavy, expensive batteries around on buses, why not have electric cables suspended above the road with collector poles attached to the bus?

This would make the buses cheaper and lighter, they won't have to recharge, they will be lighter and less complex and not have problems like battery degradation.

I'm surprised no one has thought of this before.

They did, a very long time ago (1882)

First ones in the UK were in 1911.

Trams and trolley buses - a great idea until the gas, water, electric, phone, cable company needs to dig up the road or put in a diversion.

Electrification going well in France - galileo

Trams and trolley buses - a great idea until the gas, water, electric, phone, cable company needs to dig up the road or put in a diversion.

In those days the traam and bus companies were usually municipal, so the council would put pressure on the diggers to get on with the job.

Now the diggers leave the excavation for days, because they have permission to 'work' for weeks.

How often do you see people actually working, if one is working two or three will be watching him or their mobile phones.

How often do you see people actually working, if one is working two or three will be watching him or their mobile phones.

May be an exception to the rule in Bromley, but they seem to get on with the job and finish in a reasonable time, maybe because of severe traffic jams otherwise

Electrification going well in France - movilogo

Now e-scooters are exploding in India due to extreme hot weather.

www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/climate-and-peop.../