What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Child safety - Hanging out the window... - _

Sunday, driving to the Gym, and at the first roundabout saw what looked like a 6 year old standing on the back seat with head and shoulders out of the car. behind daddy who was driving.

At the next roundabout, pulled alongside and politely informed driver that his child was in danger.. 40 mph limit by the way.

Result, just shrugged his shoulders.

Darwin at work.??

I do have it on dashcam, but can't be bothered with the hassle.

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Andrew-T

A lot of very ordinary people seem to heartily dislike being given advice by people they don't know. What they are like with others they DO know, I hate to think.

There's an interesting piece in today's Times about how the spread of social media seems to have hardened people's attitudes and self-importance. An interesting thought.

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Bolt

Sunday, driving to the Gym, and at the first roundabout saw what looked like a 6 year old standing on the back seat with head and shoulders out of the car. behind daddy who was driving.

At the next roundabout, pulled alongside and politely informed driver that his child was in danger.. 40 mph limit by the way.

Result, just shrugged his shoulders.

Darwin at work.??

I do have it on dashcam, but can't be bothered with the hassle.

Its become more common around Bromley area after people have picked up the children from school but cannot see what you can do about it as parents get very annoyed at being told they`re wrong in letting them do it, though its not really stopped, it was more occasional than it is now...

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - bathtub tom

One of my daughters lets hers sit unrestrained, with the excuse he just undoes the straps. I've pointed out it's her that gets the fine and points, to no avail. I just tell them to strap in or walk.

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Gibbo_Wirral

Mum shouted 'why didn't I put on their seatbelts?' after killing kids, 4 and 10, in crash

www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/mum-sh...4

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Crickleymal

Mum shouted 'why didn't I put on their seatbelts?' after killing kids, 4 and 10, in crash

www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/mum-sh...4

And that's exactly why. I saw a family none of which were wearing seatbelts not so long ago. It's up to the parents if they want to die but why inflict it on kids? I can remember the days of static seatbelts, modern ones are hardly noticeable in comparison.

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Sofa Spud

I saw a child standing up and leaning out of a car window the other day - also probably about 5 or 6. I know from being a parent that children that age can wriggle out of their straps and there's not much a parent driving the car can do about it. A child can be leaning right out of their seat - and when challenged they say 'look! - I'm still strapped in' because the straps is across their knees.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 29/04/2022 at 10:58

A child can be leaning right out of their seat - and when challenged they say 'look! - I'm still strapped in' because the straps is across their knees.

It should all be OK as long as the rear doors are child-locked - so that at least the driver need not worry about a door opening accidentally.

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - FoxyJukebox
Or a window inadvertently shutting up against a child’s neck
Or a window inadvertently shutting up against a child’s neck

I think it's quite a while since rear car windows would do that - for obvious reasons.

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - CSawyer

"Strap in or walk" is a good response.

Children are not very smart - none of us were as children, I know that for a fact. Maybe she should try talking to him about the importance of safety more firmly? I know children often don't really get it, but of course leaving the straps in is important.

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Metropolis.
I do miss cars with sunroofs as a child, standing with my head out the roof taking in the surroundings, cities at night were great. Lets not be too nanny state.
Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Warning

May be they need to have another campaign.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKHY69AFstE

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - nellyjak

I think that on the road, advising peeps of their shortcomings can be a very risky business.!

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Bolt

I think that on the road, advising peeps of their shortcomings can be a very risky business.!

Only time I see arguments now is when people block the road pushing into non existent gaps so others cannot move, otherwise no one says anything, too easy for tempers to flare up these days as everyone's in a hurry....

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Mr Mc
Evolution.
Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Alby Back
I’m not against safety and wouldn’t begin to argue that modern child seats and restraints are anything but a good thing.

However, just by way of sharing a memory, I can clearly remember as a small child in the ‘60s, being shoved in the back of a Mini van belonging to my best mate’s mum, along with multiple other kids to be taken to cubs or Sunday School or whatever.

The only concession to comfort or safety was a sheet of foam rubber on the floor. You fairly soon figured out that the trick was to brace yourself on a fat kid for the corners. ;-)
Child safety - Hanging out the window... - badbusdriver
I’m not against safety and wouldn’t begin to argue that modern child seats and restraints are anything but a good thing. However, just by way of sharing a memory, I can clearly remember as a small child in the ‘60s, being shoved in the back of a Mini van belonging to my best mate’s mum, along with multiple other kids to be taken to cubs or Sunday School or whatever. The only concession to comfort or safety was a sheet of foam rubber on the floor. You fairly soon figured out that the trick was to brace yourself on a fat kid for the corners. ;-)

There was many a time me and my brother were sat in the open rear bed of a Subaru pickup my Dad had borrowed from work!. Though we had the relative luxury of a large cushion and a beanbag!.

But I also remember a heap of kids (5 or 6) including myself sat in the back of a Moscvitch van belonging to friends of my parents.

Also remember standing in the back of a tipper truck Dad had borrowed from his work to move house (around 15 miles). Fortunately (for our modest worldly possessions) it was a dry day!

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - Bilboman

Back in the 70s I remember being transported in the back of a largeish Commer van to and from cub scout camp and on the odd excursion. There were wooden benches placed about a foot apart packed tightly with cubs, and the benches were later taken out and used for mealtime seating. None of them were fixed to the floor, and we were not restrained in any way. With the shutter door down anyone passing us would assume some house removals were going on.
The leader of the cub scout pack and main driver of the Commer van was the village bobby. Tell young folk that today and they'll never believe you, etc.

Child safety - Hanging out the window... - bathtub tom

In the '70s, we had a board game, 'The game of life', which you played as a depiction of family life. You collected 'children' along the way and if you got too many to transport, the rules stated: 'just stuff them all on the back seat, like in real life'.

I see it's still available. I wonder if it's become more politically correct: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life