What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 2006 - Will my car make it? - Melanie Claire Baylis

Hi all,

I have just bought a Ford Fiesta (2006 model) it has done approx 120k miles on the clock has passed its MOT and been serviced - will it make a a 350 mile round trip?

Ford Fiesta 2006 - Will my car make it? - Andrew-T

You are in a better position to judge than anyone on here, as you have seen the car and the place where it was serviced. You should have a look at its history on the Gov website for MoT results, which will give a flavour for its trustworthiness. A 15-year-old car doing 8K miles a year may well be in decent running order - or not. If you haven't taken it for a long run yet, double-check the fluid levels (which the servicing garage should have done) and the tyre pressures, and then keep an eye on the dashboard gauges in case the engine starts to overheat.

Is its cambelt recent, or not ? Or can't you tell ?

Ford Fiesta 2006 - Will my car make it? - badbusdriver

If the car has been serviced regular, hasn't been absolutely thrashed, and is up to date re cam belt change, there is no reason at all why it wouldn't manage a 350 mile round trip.

These are inherently reliable cars, there are plenty of older and leggier examples still on the road giving their owners sterling service.

Ford Fiesta 2006 - Will my car make it? - catsdad

If you have just bought it from an unknown seller then there is a risk that it comes with issues. However you can take sensible precautions, For example buy breakdown cover. Check and top up the oil and ensure that the coolant reservoir is up to the mark. When driving keep an eye out for any warning lights and the temperature gauge going into the red. Check all the external lights, the tyres and that the wipers are effective.

You should find details in the car handbook of these basic checks. If it’s missing then Google or You Tube are good places to find out how to do them.

Hopefully you did all this before buying it but, if not, these checks are worth doing regularly whether you are doing a long journey or not.

Good luck with your new (to you) car.

Ford Fiesta 2006 - Will my car make it? - SLO76

Hi all,

I have just bought a Ford Fiesta (2006 model) it has done approx 120k miles on the clock has passed its MOT and been serviced - will it make a a 350 mile round trip?

It might last for years and tens of thousands of miles more or it could explode tomorrow. Joys of a cheap old motor, you just never know. That said, these wee cars are generally robust mechanically with a tough Yamaha designed engine that rarely goes wrong.
Ford Fiesta 2006 - Will my car make it? - sammy1

30 years ago I was driving 300 miles in cars not half as good as your Fiesta. Just check all your fluids and tyres before you set off

Ford Fiesta 2006 - Will my car make it? - John F

it has done approx 120k miles on the clock

After another mere 350 miles it will probably still have 120k, or possibly 121k miles on the clock

has passed its MOT and been serviced - will it make a a 350 mile round trip?

There is a small risk that being 'serviced' by a forgetful/cackhanded mechanic might have introduced a problem, e.g. spark plugs not tightened up, oil not been replaced, or some other thing which necessitates a return to the garage sort out a problem which did not exist beforehand.