What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2013 vw polo - question, 'Should I buy an old car with low miles - Fessel

Questiuoner posed 'should he buy an immaculate 2013 vw polo ?'

Going forward a few years, had the question been posed then, maybe worth bearing in mind that if that had been a this current years electric car, in all probability at 9 years old then it would have been looking at vast expence of replacing batteries!

Just a thought from a guy with a few pre '85 W123 Mercs.

2013 vw polo - question, 'Should I buy an old car with low miles - badbusdriver

Questiuoner posed 'should he buy an immaculate 2013 vw polo ?'

Which questioner?.

Also, the question you quote has no mention of this immaculate Polo having low miles, so where does that come in?.

As to the question of whether you should buy low mileage car, there are factors to take into account. Is the car petrol or diesel?, what type of journeys have been done? (very short journeys done frequently would be bad, but longer journeys done infrequently would be fine).

Going forward a few years, had the question been posed then, maybe worth bearing in mind that if that had been a this current years electric car, in all probability at 9 years old then it would have been looking at vast expence of replacing batteries!

Not really sure what you are saying here, or what your point is?. Are you comparing a brand new EV to an older, but immaculate Polo?. If the EV is new chances are it will be leased, so the owner will replace it at two or three years old. He isn't going to still have it at 9 years old is he?.

2013 vw polo - question, 'Should I buy an old car with low miles - Big John

Not really sure what you are saying here, or what your point is?. Are you comparing a brand new EV to an older, but immaculate Polo?. If the EV is new chances are it will be leased, so the owner will replace it at two or three years old. He isn't going to still have it at 9 years old is he?.

It is an interesting thought though - actually I know a few people who own electric cars now varying from new (Tesla, Kona & Niro) to quite a few years old now (Zoe& Leaf) and most except the Tesla are private owners. None have had battery issues thus far.

The technology popular with more of my friends seems to be the Toyota/ Lexus hybrid setup (various cars) - everyone who owns them seems to love them. The only one that seems to be suffering a bit now is a 2007 1.5 Prius that's done a lot of miles, it's problem is the Internal Combustion Engine is now burning oil!

My own issue with electric cars though is the purchase cost - that Hyundai Kona cost circa £40k new! Saying that the price difference between ICE and electric starting to converge a bit now. Electric cars do have extra gubbins in the form of batteries/generator/motors but with purely electric car the oily bits are usually simpler.

Re the OP's subject "Should I buy an old car with low miles" - I usually prefer newer with higher miles compared to older with lower miles as whatever the mileage many things on a car start decaying from the day it's manufactured. Obviously in a few years it will be harder to buy a nearly new ICE car.

Edited by Big John on 20/03/2022 at 21:44

2013 vw polo - question, 'Should I buy an old car with low miles - edlithgow

Yes...but

(a) The mileage doesn't matter much

(b) 2013 isn't really old (enough)

2013 vw polo - question, 'Should I buy an old car with low miles - FoxyJukebox
Why not look up the cars MOT history and see what it looks like?
Regardless of that, it’ll probably need new brake discs and pads all round,4 new tyres, “timing chain”( or whatever).
Also, why not look at the MOT history and prices of other 9 yr old Polos on Autotrader. That is those with identifiable number plates.