What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How much does it cost in petrol - FoxyJukebox

On petrol alone costing £1.63 a litre--how much does it cost a 2 litre car ( roughly) to drive

50 miles

40 miles

30 miles

20 miles

10 miles

How much does it cost in petrol - thunderbird

Depends what mpg it does.

But 50 miles will cost 5 times as much as 10 miles.

How much does it cost in petrol - FP

Depends whether it's motorway driving, heavy traffic, short trips etc. etc.

For me (mixed driving, no long trips) I manage around 40 mpg on a 2 litre SUV; that is about 8.8 mpl. So 1 mile costs around 19p.

You can work out the costs of different distances from that.

(Someone might like to check my maths - never my strong point.)

How much does it cost in petrol - nick62

Yes FP, your arithmetic is correct.

Edited by nick62 on 15/03/2022 at 10:47

How much does it cost in petrol - Andrew-T

If your petrol car can average 45mpg, that equals 10 miles/litre. So the fuel cost for 10 miles will be (in this case) £1.63 - ignoring the higher consumption while your engine reaches running temperature.

For any other distance, multiply up pro rata. I suspect a 2-litre car may struggle to do 45mpg, but it shouldn't be too far short.

How much does it cost in petrol - thunderbird

For any other distance, multiply up pro rata. I suspect a 2-litre car may struggle to do 45mpg, but it shouldn't be too far short.

No 2 litre petrol car will average 45 mpg. Last we had averaged about 33 and whilst things have no doubt improved a bit no way would they do that. Our 1.8 Focus only averaged 36 ish over 12 years.

Our current Pulsar 1.6 averages about 34 mpg and even our ultra economical Fabia 1.0 TSi has "only" averaged about 48 mpg over the 2 and a bit years we have owned it.

If you want 45 mpg and 2 litre petrol performance get a modern small petrol turbo, the 1.4 VAG TSi is the perfect example according to HJ real mpg. In comparrison a Mazda 6 2.0 averages about 41 mpg.

How much does it cost in petrol - groaver

No 2 litre petrol car will average 45 mpg.

It will depend what size of car the engine is in.

How much does it cost in petrol - Engineer Andy

Indeed - whether said car is turbocharged (even light pressure) or not, hybrid, or not, manual/auto/DCT plus the age of the car (and thus engine design).

Best for the OP to always compare cars of a similar size/performance and in the real world rather than raw engine displacement and manufacturers' 'test data'.

The non-turbo 2L petrol engine from the Mazda3 is in reality at best around the performance of the Golf /Leon 1.0 / 1.2 TSI, for example.

How much does it cost in petrol - groaver

'.

The non-turbo 2L petrol engine from the Mazda3 is in reality at best around the performance of the Golf /Leon 1.0 / 1.2 TSI, for example.

It depends where it is installed.

And - no less obviously - how you drive it, and on what kind of journey(s).

How much does it cost in petrol - Terry W

I have a petrol Peugeot 308 auto - 130bhp.

On a long motorway journey at ~65mph cruising speed it will comfortably exceed 50mpg.

Around town with mostly short journeys - a little over 30mpg

A manual will probably do a little better. A larger, heavier car will do worse. SUV or 4X4 will be worst of all due to aerodynamic efficiency being closer to a brick than arrow.

Engine size is largely irrelevant - often a larger more powerful engine with higher gearing may be more economical than the smaller.

Energy used is a function of weight, aerodynamics, friction, hills, acceleration, use of brakes, driving style.

How much does it cost in petrol - _

The other week I did 186 miles on £21 of petrol giving 40 ISH mpg brim to brim.

Got the same trip soon; whatever the cost...

How much does it cost in petrol - nick62

£21 of petrol at £1.60 per litre is 13.1 litres (2.9 gallons).

Your car must have done 64 mpg, unless your £21 is a typo?

How much does it cost in petrol - edlithgow

Yáll are showing a lot more patient tolerance of this question than I am able to muster.

Well done.

£21 of petrol at £1.60 per litre is 13.1 litres (2.9 gallons).

Your car must have done 64 mpg, unless your £21 is a typo?

TYPO Alert.. never going to do 64 mpg in the Korando, unless being towed halfway..

No, 21 litres @147.7 at asda colchester.

Grovel Grovel..

<< 21 litres @147.7 at asda colchester. >>

So assuming 'brim to brim' is valid, 186 miles @ 21 litres is 8.85 m/l or 40.3 mpg.

Your first calc was correct, you just got the data muddled ... :-)

Just filled up today.. 160.7 a litre petrol asda. diesel 172.9

How much does it cost in petrol - FP

I get the impression fuel prices are now dropping. Local to me, petrol seems to have dropped from 160p-plus to 150p-plus in the last ten days or so. Very fortunately I managed to fill when it was 144.9 a couple of weeks ago and have been avoiding car use as much as possible. (Covered about 80 miles since filling.)

How much does it cost in petrol - Ethan Edwards

In answer to the OP.. assuming 38mpg and about 1.63 a litre.

10 miles 1.95

20miles 3.90

30 miles 5.85

40 miles 7.80

50 miles 9.75

I calculate 19.5p a mile.

38mpg being a total guess on my part. If you use say 30mpg then up those amounts by 26.67%

Hope that helps.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 16/03/2022 at 15:51