What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Petrol Prices! - Warning

Local petrol station had fuel at 1.42 and now jumped to 1.52..... I suspect people will be wondering why I am complaining as it probably more expensive elsewhere....

I was around 1.30 before the petrol shortage fiasco, a few months ago. I never went back to 1.30.....

Is the the start to the end of the car?

Petrol Prices! - RT

Blame Walmart - for many decades their Asda subsidiary acted as a price brake on the whole industry and kept prices competitive although they obviously fluctuated due to outside factors - in February 2021, Walmart sold most of their holding in Asda to the Issa brothers who also own Euro Garages (EG Group) who are a major business in UK fuel forecourts and no longer keep prices low and are a major reason for the increase in prices over the last year.

Petrol Prices! - nellyjak

It's 1.54 to 1.58 here in Rutland.....even though I have a 3 litre V6 Estima I don't use enough of the stuff for it to overly concern me..yet.!..lol

We also have a Yaris which is rather better on mpg.!..

Petrol Prices! - RichT54

Yesterday in Sandhurst: petrol 162.9, diesel 175.9.

Petrol Prices! - Xileno

The traffic through the local town is certainly less outside of peak hours. Let's hope we don't start getting fuel thefts again like in 2000, although that was due to shortages rather than directly the price.

Petrol Prices! - daveyjp

Can't see much in the Walmart conspiracy considering my local Asda are still selling fuel at 149.7 a litre, when other local stations are 5-15p a litre more expensive.

Asda are cheaper because they track other supermarkets. Morrisons is 150.9.

Petrol Prices! - daveyK_UK
The fuel cost increases are not good for business

I know of a Norwich based building company who would happily bid for works all over Norfolk and Suffolk but have taken the decision to only tender for works within 45 minutes of the company yard as the fuel costs and material costs (as a consequence of the fuel costs) make them uncompetitive.

Govt needs to come out and make clear the current net zero target is self harming and support road users (and stop subsidising the railways for billions every year!).
Petrol Prices! - Terry W

Net zero can be seen as an investment, which by reducing our dependence on fossil fuels means that we would no longer be vulnerable to external shocks like Ukraine.

There may be other materials (eg: nickel) which would still be an issue - but this would be a less immediate hit.

It's a choice - carry on using fossil fuels which are driven by global market prices - or shift to solar, wind, nuclear etc which are largely within our control.

Petrol Prices! - alan1302

Blame Walmart - for many decades their Asda subsidiary acted as a price brake on the whole industry and kept prices competitive although they obviously fluctuated due to outside factors - in February 2021, Walmart sold most of their holding in Asda to the Issa brothers who also own Euro Garages (EG Group) who are a major business in UK fuel forecourts and no longer keep prices low and are a major reason for the increase in prices over the last year.

In what way are they not keeping the Asda fuel prices low? And all the other supermarkets are lower priced so not sure I can see that Asada being sold makes a differenece?

Petrol Prices! - Engineer Andy

In what way are they not keeping the Asda fuel prices low? And all the other supermarkets are lower priced so not sure I can see that Asada being sold makes a differenece?

Maybe they are saying that if they are not owned by ASDA, they no longer subsidise them to get people into the supermarket, though I suspect this isn't so much of a thing anyway because of online sales.

Saying that, whenever I've looked up the prices via the Petrol Prices website where I happen to be, ASDA (in the absence of a Cosco) is either the cheapest or in the top three for best price. Probably because they are (filling stations at a supermarket) unmanned.

Petrol Prices! - Steveieb

My question is would I notice any difference if I swap to using Tesco diesel?

I have a Tesco store nearby but have always avoided using it because of the bad reviews on this site.

Petrol Prices! - daveyK_UK
£1.77 diesel shell on high street,

£1.83 diesel shell on M11 services

Edited by daveyK_UK on 11/03/2022 at 16:08

Petrol Prices! - Bromptonaut

At one time it was Asda policy to have a single price for each fuel type across all their sites. Others price differentially according to local market and competition.

Fuel at Sainsburys in Northampton (no Asda filling station) was for years consistently three or four pence a litre more than 30 miles up the road at it's Leicester Fosse park site where there was an Asda adjacent.

Petrol Prices! - Honda jazzer

£1.52 the other day in Asda

£1.67 in SHell

Edited by Honda jazzer on 12/03/2022 at 21:09

Petrol Prices! - daveyjp

It appears around my area drivers are now looking for lowest prices. I have Jet, BP and Esso not far from home and they never appear busy.

Morrisons however have been managing the queue this morning to ensure shoppers could park as they are at least 10p cheaper than anywhere else.

Petrol Prices! - RJ414i

It appears around my area drivers are now looking for lowest prices. I have Jet, BP and Esso not far from home and they never appear busy.

Morrisons however have been managing the queue this morning to ensure shoppers could park as they are at least 10p cheaper than anywhere else.

Same around here, Tesco petrol £1.589, diesel £1.609 selling out every other day. Co op ( Texaco) diesel £1.829 and BP £1.789 both always have stock!

Petrol Prices! - De Sisti

We could all decide to drive less until fuel prices go down.

Some people (see link) don't have a choice.

scontent-lcy1-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/2750567...B

Petrol Prices! - Galad

I'm old enough to remember the oil crisis in the early 1970s. The so-called 'Yom Kippur' war between Israel and Egypt resulted in an oil embargo with the west by Arab oil producing nations. Petrol prices surged from 30 pence a gallon to 50 pence a gallon (yes, I meant GALLONS, not litres) and we all thought the world was going to end. Running on empty became an art form.

Petrol Prices! - badbusdriver

We could all drive a bit slower too!.

I say this because today I had one of my two longest commutes to where I was working, taking in single carriageway A roads and dual carriageway. In my Caddy van, sticking to the speed limit (for an LCV), this means 50 and 60mph respectively.

Going by the amount of vehicles travelling way faster than me, the fuel cost is not biting too hard just yet!. At one point on the dual carriageway going up a long hill, I was passed by a Mitsubishi L200 which must have been doing 80+mph. Thirsty machine at that speed under normal conditions, but with the 6 large roof mounted auxiliary lights, that must've been really guzzling down the diesel!

Petrol Prices! - Crickleymal

I'm old enough to remember the oil crisis in the early 1970s. The so-called 'Yom Kippur' war between Israel and Egypt resulted in an oil embargo with the west by Arab oil producing nations. Petrol prices surged from 30 pence a gallon to 50 pence a gallon (yes, I meant GALLONS, not litres) and we all thought the world was going to end. Running on empty became an art form.

I remember that too. The government started issuing petrol ration vouchers. I can remember urging my father to get some, whether he did or not I don't know

Petrol Prices! - RichT54

I remember that too. The government started issuing petrol ration vouchers. I can remember urging my father to get some, whether he did or not I don't know

I bought a second hand motorcycle in early 1974. There were several sets of those petrol ration vouchers included with the paperwork, which fortunately I never needed to use.

Petrol Prices! - Crickleymal

Some people (see link) don't have a choice.

scontent-lcy1-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/2750567...B

I am. I've cancelled one trip this weekend because it was purely a pleasure trip of a out 60 miles each way and would have cost me £28 in my 4x4.