What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Vehicles versus deep water - craig-pd130

I dread to think how many engines have been wrecked as a result of drivers trying to charge across Rufford Mill ford in Notts at speed.

This video shows some of the recent fails: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufSPsX-xTPU

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - Xileno

I'm surprised the Volvo 240 stopped, the driver seemed sensible and from memory the air intake is fairly high on those.

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - nellyjak

Muppets....as per usual, so many reach into their bag of talent and knowledge...and find it empty.

Edited by nellyjak on 24/02/2022 at 18:40

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - bathtub tom

I've often heard drivers profess the best way to drive through water is quickly. The same ones seem to think spinning their wheels on ice and snow works best.

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - bazza

Addictive entertainment!! Incredible that so many people are prepared to risk tens of thousands of pounds worth of vehicle, I mean how stupid can you get to think the average car can drive through water that deep without disaster!! No sympathy at all from me!

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - Andrew-T

... how stupid can you get to think the average car can drive through water that deep without disaster!! No sympathy at all from me!

To allow some benefit of doubt, many of them probably thought the water was only 6 inches deep. They may use the road regularly, and probably didn't look at the depth gauge before flooring it ....

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - bazza

Maybe! You are more generous than me!! It is fascinating to watch though!

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - madf

... how stupid can you get to think the average car can drive through water that deep without disaster!! No sympathy at all from me!

To allow some benefit of doubt, many of them probably thought the water was only 6 inches deep. They may use the road regularly, and probably didn't look at the depth gauge before flooring it ....

There is a depth gauge post post in the middle of the bridge - clearly visible...And driving off fast after wading through is stupid.. when I have driven through deep water ,the air intakes at the front were blocked with leaves and plastic etc.

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - bathtub tom

many of them probably thought the water was only 6 inches deep.

I had a Springer spaniel pup. On one of her first walks out, she saw some ducks in the river and promptly went after them. It was December and she seemed to get a hell of a surprise. I always wondered if she thought the water wasn't very deep as it only came up a short way on the ducks

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - Engineer Andy

many of them probably thought the water was only 6 inches deep.

I had a Springer spaniel pup. On one of her first walks out, she saw some ducks in the river and promptly went after them. It was December and she seemed to get a hell of a surprise. I always wondered if she thought the water wasn't very deep as it only came up a short way on the ducks

Probably the icy cold water was a surprise. :-)

I do love it when the off-roader lot (but whose vehicle doesn't have a snorkel) think their car can traverse these fords, flooded underpasses, etc, etc, only to find otherwise after a few meters in.

I remember one showing some bozo trying to go through a flooded underpass (possibly in London) watched by eager passers by, who nearly wet themselves with laughter when the car didn't make it...

Certainly made my day.

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - Manatee

Hard not to be transfixed. Incredible. How do these people survive to adulthood.

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - Terry W

Observation works wonders - a row of stationary vehicles either immersed or stopped on the far side of a flooded road could be a clue.

Obviously an intellectual step too far for some!

Observation works wonders - a row of stationary vehicles either immersed or stopped on the far side of a flooded road could be a clue.

Obviously an intellectual step too far for some!

Don't forget that most people think they are an above average driver, skill-wise, so ego will play a part!

Here's the clip I referred to earlier, to give you all a chuckle:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HnYo8MInTA

Edited by Engineer Andy on 26/02/2022 at 17:55

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - kiss (keep it simple)

And a crowd of people with cameras.

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - John F

Hard not to be transfixed. Incredible. How do these people survive to adulthood.

A surfeit of optimism and self confidence.

Any - Vehicles versus deep water - madf

A surfeit of optimism and self confidence.

A welfare state can only do so much for real i****s.

Water is incompressible as anyone who makes a belly flop from any height will have discovered..